Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / First World Problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 22:25
So... as we all know, now is the time where the annual development cycle reaches its climax "yay". With the forever popular Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty franchises releasing their latest installments in the very near future. So near in fact, that the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare pre-orders are unleashed tonight.

Which brings me to my dilemma.

See, my local Tesco are having a midnight launch and they're selling their copies (for the pre-orders only) at a reduced price and I find myself in a situation where I don't know which platform to get it on. Sure, the Xbox One version will have a lower resolution, that's a given, and perhaps some other graphical down-scaling. But, I am forever sacrificing games on my PS4 to squeeze in my growing library. (Seriously Wolfenstein? 50 GIGS?! Oh not another Battlefield patch... how broken can it be?) Also, if we were to refer to last year's new gen "effort", Ghosts framerate on PS4 was not the best... and apparently far superior on Xbox One. So I'm stumped, what should I go for; 1080p, potentially lesser framerate and forever perishing thumbsticks? Or 900p and potential visual mutilation <<(well maybe that's a bit strong, but I can't think of any other word to put there).

And no, PC is out of the question, because split-screen is of the utmost importance to me, and I doubt my PC would be able to run it that well...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 00:45 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2014 00:46
I'd ignore any arguments based on 720p vs 1080p. or 720p vs 900p. I can't tell the difference with AA. Obviously I probably could side-by-side, but how much does it really matter?
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'd ignore any arguments based on 720p vs 1080p. or 720p vs 900p. I can't tell the difference with AA. Obviously I probably could side-by-side, but how much does it really matter?"

Depends immensely on your monitor/tv. If it's a high quality product it hurts to not use the native resolution. If it's really just an average quality screen you won't see much difference either way.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 06:48
My vote goes to XBone, despite its apparently weaker graphics (I'm not up to speed on this - what's the deal with processing power between the two consoles? I thought they had similar CPUs and GPUs), just because I've always preferred M$'s consoles. I really, REALLY wish there was an "inbetween" console that wasn't made by either Sony or M$ and had truly next-gen hardware (you know, GTX980-level stuff). Sure, PCs mostly fill this gap (I'm definitely a PC master race! kinda person), but they still don't quite have the plug-in-and-go appeal of consoles.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 10:34
Thing to keep in mind, is that the XB1 may well catch up to the PS4 performance when the new smaller version is released, as its a smaller CPU, should be faster and more efficient. It might just shorten the gap enough for it to be pretty much neck and neck between the 2 consoles.

Personally I'm sticking with the PC, I'd rather spend money on that, than spend money to spend more money on games and peripherals. So long as Battlefield doesn't move away from PC's I'll be fine

I think that the community for COD is bigger on the XB1, so maybe that's a factor. As split screen is important, maybe the only factor is how smoothly it handles that - a side by side comparison in a good old-fashioned game shop would help I think.

I am the one who knocks...
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 23:03
Quote: "Personally I'm sticking with the PC, I'd rather spend money on that, than spend money to spend more money on games and peripherals."

Mmm, me too. The one thing that really annoys me about PC (and it's not really PC's fault) is that every single AAA game released today is a crappy console port. It's one reason I'm excited for Star Citizen - it's pure PC right the way through. No consoles allowed.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " The one thing that really annoys me about PC (and it's not really PC's fault) is that every single AAA game released today is a crappy console port."

I honestly don't believe this. I've not played a game recently where I can say I thought it was a poor effort of porting. Games that I play that I can think of that are on consoles too: Tomb Raider, Battlefield 3(probably the worst port), Payday 2, CoD:MW2, Metro2033, Grid 2.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 07:26
Quote: "Thing to keep in mind, is that the XB1 may well catch up to the PS4 performance when the new smaller version is released, as its a smaller CPU, should be faster and more efficient. It might just shorten the gap enough for it to be pretty much neck and neck between the 2 consoles."

I think they are aiming for price reduction and power efficiency, rather than performance improvement. It's dangerous to tweak the performance of a console mid-cycle. It would tick off early adopters – although to be fair, they'd probably get away with it after the initial uproar and it may be better for future sales. Still, it would break the typical console rule of all hardware being equal.

I have yet to be impressed by the visual fidelity of a 1080p game vs a 720p-900p game on a television. On a monitor it is another story entirely, because non-native resolutions are very obvious to me, but at the distance I sit from my entertainment setup it doesn't seem to matter. I've switched the resolution settings on my Xbox between 720 and 1080 (for the dashboard) and the same for my Apple TV trying to discern a difference, and really couldn't tell. Maybe up close I would, but I'd go for better (or at least more consistent) framerate personally.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to withdraw my statement about 720p vs 1080p. I must have been lying! I've just tried playing at 720p and I get black borders. I must've always played at 1080p. Maybe Metro 2033 worked at 720p.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 17:24
Black borders? They are still the same aspect ratio. Your TV/monitor's scaling setting must be set to 1:1 (dot by dot) or something like that. Try seeing if there is a fill/stretch setting.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I know - I've tried everything including GPU scaling and monitor settings. My graphics card runs most at 1080p anyway. It was just for the sake of argument.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 18:49
Quote: "I'd like to withdraw my statement about 720p vs 1080p. I must have been lying! I've just tried playing at 720p and I get black borders. I must've always played at 1080p. Maybe Metro 2033 worked at 720p."

That seems strange and it's not how it works on consoles. 720p on a console means that the GPU renders 1280x720 pixels and then scale it up to full 1920x1080. I to didn't really mind 720p on consoles until I plugged my Xbox into my PC monitor instead of TV. When looking that close you can really see that everything is blurred compared to 1080p from my PC.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That seems strange and it's not how it works on consoles. 720p on a console means that the GPU renders 1280x720 pixels and then scale it up to full 1920x1080"

Yes, that's what I expected. I think Company of Heroes 2 can do that on PC and I like it.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 12:00
Quote: "I've not played a game recently where I can say I thought it was a poor effort of porting."

Perhaps I was overstating things. I should have said, "every single AAA game released today is a console port." The thing with console ports is that they just aren't designed for PCs. The controls are frequently laggy and sloppy and the graphics settings are restricted.

Quote: "I have yet to be impressed by the visual fidelity of a 1080p game vs a 720p-900p game on a television."

I tend to notice the difference in scenes with high aliasing (chain-link fences and the like). Also, the higher resolutions make looking into the distance less flickery.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems everything I say in this thread gets undermined right after I say it. I bought Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare last night, runs absolutely dreadfully. Admittedly my PC is aging, but if the 360 can handle this game.
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 23:11
Quote: "It seems everything I say in this thread gets undermined right after I say it. I bought Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare last night, runs absolutely dreadfully. Admittedly my PC is aging, but if the 360 can handle this game. "

The 360 version probably looks horrible compared to the PC version though

I haven't decided if I want to buy it yet and if I want it on PC or PS4. I got Ghosts on PS4 and after I did the campaign all I did was play the Alien mode and all I really enjoy on COD is zombies.

I bloody hate how they make you buy each DLC for like $20 if you want the zombie maps.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 09:30
Apparantly AW does have a lot of performance issues, sadly.
my AMD R280 does have a lot of problems with it. There's an option to preload shaders before each match, longer loading times but the lag is reduced a LOT by that.
But then the loading times become almost dreadful...

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I thought the game had broken when I turned on preload shaders. Ridiculously long loading time. Just how many shaders does it have?
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yeah, I thought the game had broken when I turned on preload shaders. Ridiculously long loading time. Just how many shaders does it have?"

Is this on a SSD?

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is this on a SSD?"

Nope. My SSD is only 64gb so OS only really.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 05:12
Quote: "Nope. My SSD is only 64gb so OS only really."

My brother just bought a 250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD, and it's lightning-fast. I'm so jealous of how fast he can restart his PC now

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, I was amazed by boot speed too. I bought mine a while back so you can probably get a 250GB for the same price now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 05:29:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 05:29:50