Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / SOS Need Help Exporting Project I got From Friend

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Help, I'm trying to get this cool toaster game to work that I got from a friend at a code festival who I have no contact information. I have all of the source files but I cannot get it to work and this is my only lead. The source code mentioned a lot of Dark GDK and also has a GDK picture in it. I have zero experience with any of this. If have some coding knowledge with java. I believe the game is made with C# or C++. Please email me. I will send you the source files or just send detailed instructions on what to do.
An executable (.exe) would be preferable.
-Thank You

P.S. I would ask not to distribute any of the files if transferred to you out of respect of my friend.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 12:53
If it's DarkGDK then it's C++. Since you're a new user and we can't fully trust you just yet (we get a lot of spammers here), I'd ask that you don't request people contact you by email. Not many people are going to want to give their personal email to a stranger, but plenty of people would probably be happy to give detailed instructions on how to compile a DarkGDK game. I'd do it myself except that I don't have time right now.

Also, you posted in the wrong board (WIP isn't the place for this), so I'll move your thread to the DarkGDK board

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 02:44 Edited at: 9th Nov 2014 02:45
I noticed a notification for this post didn't show up from the main page - probably because it was moved here. So This is just a ping so it'll (hopefully) show up and let others who are more active than I am know it's here

Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 10:55
Quote: "So This is just a ping so it'll (hopefully) show up and let others who are more active than I am know it's here"

Good call, that didn't occur to me when I moved it.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 19:29
Can you send me the project using the e-mail address in the "e-mail" button in this post? I'll take a look at it and can probably instruct you on what to do to get it running.

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
Reetik2000
Years of Service
User Offline
I found the files and compiled them into a .zip compressed folder. I would prefer it to be some sort of executable that I can carry around on my flash drive and use anywhere, but if that is not possible I want at minimum to just play the game. Again please do not distribute it in any way or form.

Thank You,
Reetik2000

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 09:14 Edited at: 18th Nov 2014 09:15
@Reetik2000:

You're a new user, so you're still on post moderation. This means a moderator has to approve each new post you make and the posts won't show up until they're approved. Each time you hit Post Message, it actually puts the post into the system, so when I went to approve the new posts, there were five of your posts with slight variations to each. We'd prefer you just hit Post Message once and then wait, but if you really feel the need to change something you said and can't wait until you can edit the post, then don't worry too much about double (or triple, or quadruple, or quintuple ) posting since we normally only approve the most recently-posted one anyway. Just so you know

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 11:15 Edited at: 18th Nov 2014 11:38
Just glancing... There's already .exe files in it. Did you try them?

...in the bin and obj directories.

Also in the Toaster Clicker directory, is a setup.exe.

P.S. I believe this is a DarkGDK.NET project, which I'm not familiar with. Apparently, it's in C#. It references DARKGDK via namespace. And it's targeted to the Microsoft .NET 3.5. So if I'm not mistaken, this thread needs to be moved again.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
s_i
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 16:47
Your project is written with C#, not C++. You can ask for help here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_read&i=37
Reetik2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah I've tried the .exe files in there. Those files try to install something and then say I'm missing some plugin or something. You're welcome to try them out. I've already downloaded dark gdk or whatever it's called and it still doesn't work. Maybe you can open it with whatever program was used to program it and check out the code or even export it from the program or something. Idk
Reetik2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Then you can move it right. I don't want to create an entirely new form.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 00:01 Edited at: 19th Nov 2014 00:04
Quote: "I believe this is a DarkGDK.NET project, which I'm not familiar with. Apparently, it's in C#. It references DARKGDK via namespace. And it's targeted to the Microsoft .NET 3.5. So if I'm not mistaken, this thread needs to be moved again."

Quote: "Your project is written with C#, not C++."

I didn't even know there WAS a DarkGDK.NET Not sure if I want to move it again... could just cause confusion, everyone that's already posted may lose their mailback (not sure about that). Also, I'd say this has basically been solved now anyway since the game has an EXE built already.

EDIT: Ah, Reetik posted after I'd loaded the webpage so I didn't see them. I may still move the board, and won't call this solved since those EXEs crash on my PC and clearly don't work on Reetik's.

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 00:18 Edited at: 19th Nov 2014 00:42
You can download the DarkGDK.NET free now:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2128&page=net

That may contain your missing plugin, or at least allow you to recompile it so you can run it.

P.S. From taking a look at that page, I'm pretty sure that's what you need.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 00:47
I get the feeling Reektik has no idea how programming works. He understands what source code is but not how it is converted to a working game. This may take some more in-depth help

Reetik2000
Years of Service
User Offline
You are partially right. I know how coding works. I actually know a few HTML commands, I've programmed robots, and I'm actually in the middle of a Java course right not. I've just never used anything with c#, c++, and I've never even published or exported any of my programs and especially not someone else's code that's in a language I've never seen before and exported it.
Reetik2000
Years of Service
User Offline
So any of you guys have experience in DarkGDK.NET and Microsoft .NET software and exporting/publishing.

P.S. Before he gave me this thing, he also said that he had never published anything before so it probably wouldn't have helped if I had his contact information.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 02:02 Edited at: 19th Nov 2014 02:05
Quote: "You are partially right. I know how coding works. I actually know a few HTML commands, I've programmed robots, and I'm actually in the middle of a Java course right not. I've just never used anything with c#, c++, and I've never even published or exported any of my programs and especially not someone else's code that's in a language I've never seen before and exported it."

Huh. You have more experience than I thought. That's good Still, it sounds like you've never used a compiled language. C, C# (AFAIK) and C++ are compiled languages. This means you don't "export" or "publish" a C++ project, you compile it.

Quote: "So any of you guys have experience in DarkGDK.NET and Microsoft .NET software and exporting/publishing."

Sorry, I don't have any C# compilers lying around because I've never liked C# at all. Other people might, though.

If you want to try compiling it yourself (as it may just compile with no errors + it'll be good experience), you could start by downloading Visual C# Express (google "visual studio 2008 c#" and click the top link - or just click here, if you trust me ), and if you haven't already, downloading and installing DarkGDK.NET (which, IIRC, is free). If you're going to try this, tell when you've gotten this far and we'll explain what to do next

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 03:19 Edited at: 27th Nov 2014 09:27
Okay - I installed the DarkGDK.NET on my system, and the .exe files work without having to recompile, but with no graphics. This is because Dominick hardcoded his personal absolute paths for the image file locations in his source code. I deleted those paths and recompiled a Release version of the .exe, and it works with the images now, if you copy the .exe into the toasterImages folder and run it from there. Hopefully with this Release version, you won't need to install DarkGDK.NET (unless you already have). But if not, install it, it will then work without having to recompile yourself.

P.S. Let me know once you've gotten it, and we can both delete the files from the forum.

P.P.S. After leaving it up for a week, I assume you've gotten it or changed your mind about it. So I went ahead and deleted it.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 04:20
It crashes for me with a Problem Signature of System.IO.FileNotFoundException, even when placed in the toasterImages folder.

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 04:34 Edited at: 19th Nov 2014 04:35
It didn't crash for me, even when it couldn't find the images. So the exception your getting is likely some other type of file. It'd probably go away if you installed the DarkGDK.NET then. Sounds like Reetik2000 will probably have to do the same. So much for Microsoft's alleged "Release" mode.

P.S. I'm using Windows XP.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 05:30
Quote: "So much for Microsoft's alleged "Release" mode."

It could be .NET DLLs that it needs, in which case Release mode isn't supposed to help with that.

Quote: "P.S. I'm using Windows XP."

Upgrade to Windows 7! It'll take some getting used to, but having used it for years now after having used Windows XP for years before that, I can honestly say it's my favourite OS of all time!

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 05:32 Edited at: 19th Nov 2014 08:00
There's no way I'm downgrading to Windows 7 or higher. Next OS will be FSF Linux!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 05:55
Quote: "There's no way I'm downgrading to Windows 7 or higher. Next OS will be FSF Linux!"

I can no longer take you seriously.

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 07:59
Yes yes - the world is actually a sphere - hahaha!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 10:52
Quote: "Yes yes - the world is actually a sphere"

WHAT. What is this NONSENSE? How DARE you suggest the world is not a four-dimensional torus?! Good day to you, sir!

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 11:02
Hahaha!

Reetik2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry I haven't been able to reply for about a week. I got sidetracked with school. I've installed DarkGDK.NET, what do I do now??? I am so comfused. What do I do.
Can someone just re-compress it into a .zip fixed and working.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:43:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:43:56