Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Double-posting in WIP threads in GC?

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 13:38
Hey all,

For the past few weeks I've been working pretty hard on what I genuinely believe is going to be a really cool game, and I'm getting ready to begin showing it to the world (back-end stuff is nearly "finished" and the content stage is rapidly approaching!). In preparation for this, I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the current rules for double-posting in WIP threads in the Geek Culture board are. I know there was a WIP thread a while back where the OP double-posted more than once and was told off for it.

IMO double-posting in a WIP thread should be perfectly fine as long as you're not spamming posts. A post every week should definitely be fine, even every 2-3 days.

I know I'm a mod and all but that doesn't mean I automatically know the rules

Clonkex

P.S. I haven't signed any of my posts for so long I thought I'd do it again for old times' sake

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 13:51
Of course, I don't see why not. If you have continual updates you shouldn't have to wait for others to post on your thread before you can again.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 14:21
It's fine to double, quadrople and even tenfold post as long as it's actual progress you're posting, and not every day - and as you say, every 2-3 days or once a week or so.
That's how it works in the 3D chat atleast so

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 16:36
I do this when nobody else posts in-between and I have something new to show off that I want people to notice. Why not, if you just edit it chances are most people will only read the latest (new) post and totally miss your edit.
Of course doing it just to bump up your thread at the top of the board or not providing any relevant information, or writing corrections to the previous post in a new one is of course likely to be more of a problem.

Plus you're a moderator now, shouldn't you know all about this??

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 17:36
Quote: " Plus you're a moderator now, shouldn't you know all about this?? "

IIRC, he was brought on to specifically moderate the Posting Competition.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 18:20
It was meant as a joke, hence my favourite smiley at the end...

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 18:29
Don't double post. Ever.

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 21:16
I thought this was very harsh here:

harshly locked thread?

I messaged/emailed the mod but did not get a reply, which is fair enough and I do respect the mods so was not going to push the point. I would still like to see this thread unlocked if possible if the mod could find it in his heart, it is nearly Christmas

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2014 00:28 Edited at: 10th Nov 2014 00:28
Quote: "Plus you're a moderator now, shouldn't you know all about this??"

I should, but there aren't any specific rules written so it's more about what the community and (other) mods think is acceptable.

Quote: "IIRC, he was brought on to specifically moderate the Posting Competition."

The entire Geek Culture board, actually I also do moderating in other boards when I happen to see something that needs moderating, but I don't do a lot of thread-reading in other boards. Not enough time at the moment, unfortunately.

Quote: "Don't double post. Ever."

How did I know you'd say that? I wish I written it down and taken a photo with a newspaper to prove it

Quote: "I thought this was very harsh here:"

Ah yes that's the thread I was talking about. I agree that it was a bit unfair. Not the first warning, that was warranted since he posted twice in less than a day, but the second warning and subsequent lock was a little silly since the posts were almost two weeks apart.

Quote: "I messaged/emailed the mod but did not get a reply"

Yeah me too but I don't think BigAdd checks his PMs. It's still ridiculous that there's no notifications for the PM system.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 10th Nov 2014 01:13
Quote: "I do this when nobody else posts in-between and I have something new to show off that I want people to notice. Why not, if you just edit it chances are most people will only read the latest (new) post and totally miss your edit."

Precisely.