Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Percentage Resolution Tool...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 13:32 Edited at: 18th Nov 2014 13:32

Hi guys,

I'm not sure how many of you out there use the percentage resolution system? I know I do, and to save myself always having a dozen calc's open in the task bar (and as a handy little project to test out some new features of my UI system) I wrote this little app.

It allows you to quickly and easily convert pixel values into percentage values based on a predetermined screen size, and back again

It's only available on Android currently, but there is a plan for a iOS version as soon as I can.

Here is the link for the download.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 19:03 Edited at: 18th Nov 2014 19:04
I use the percentage system.
This is a simple great idea!
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 07:38
i also use the percentage system but honestly i dont understand why do i need this tool...
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 11:22
@George++:
Thank you, glad you like it

@haliop_New:
The Percentage Resolution Tool is simply there to make life easier. I'm not sure how you convert screen coordinates to percentage values? I always used to work them out by using windows calculator, but that can be a little long winded and prone to errors, so I wrote this.

haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 12:38
man i dont.. i dont do anything just configure the screen resolution to highest device can handle and not touching set virtual resolution.. so its 100 on 100 as deafult the only problem i have with it is the scissors command that sometimes i have more screen and sometimes less depending on the resolution of the device..
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 13:23
@haliop_New:
Ok, so when you need to create a sprite 192 x 32 pixels, and position it at (250,250) on the screen, how would you work out these values? That's what PRT does

haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 16:38
i dont use pixels for measuring, just the plain and simple sizes using integers mostly floats. so for example if i want a wide banner using the percentage method i just

and that's it i dont think about pixels as the measuring unit.
i might not do it the right way but it worked good so far .
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2014 11:34
I think this is the thing to get your head around. You're actually making sprites that will be different sizes on different screen aspect ratios.

I use the percentage system and never think about pixels, just what percentage of the screen does this element need to be?

One thing I found useful for UI is to use a parent child system. the child object becomes a percentage size of the parent. So you could create a box, and all images within that box are a percentage size of the box. The images are always going to look correct on any device.

Also, try switching to percentage in photoshop and layout your screens that way.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2014 12:39
@haliop_New:
Fair enough, It's not an app for everyone I guess.

@JohnnyMeek:
Yes, I am aware that Photoshop can work with percentages, but unfortunately I don't own Photoshop (I can't be the only person in the world who doesn't have it?)

I use paint.net for most of my 2d stuff, and that doesn't work in percentages, so I felt the need to write this app. It works for me, and has saved me a good deal of time already.

Quote: " think this is the thing to get your head around. You're actually making sprites that will be different sizes on different screen aspect ratios."

Not true, the sprite size varies with the screen resolution, not the aspect. The percentage system uses a user defined aspect ratio (based on the screen size you use to draw your media).

So for example, I draw a sprite in paint.net which is 32 x 64 based on a 320 x 480 screen resolution; and then this app tells me what the percentage value of the screen the sprite size is (in this case 10.0 and 13.3333)

Then regardless of whether it's displayed at 1080 x 1920 or 240 x 320; it will always be 10% of the screen wide, and 13.3333% of the screen high.

This app is simply there to make it a little easier to work out that the image is 10 x 13.333 %

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2014 18:36
Quote: "and that's it i dont think about pixels as the measuring unit."

This tool is not for people with your way of thinking...
It is so simple
Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
Very cool tool Prof ... Johnny Meek you are on to it , this is exactly how I manage the percentage system , using a canvas(parent) size and resizing children accordingly

Native Technology

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 21:22:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 21:22:32