Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Can anyone help solve a simple home network problem

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 00:28
We've recently had two of our machines repaired - a laptop and a desktop. Each repair involved a Windows reinstall among other things. The chap who did the repair named the two machines MyPC and MyLaptop and their respective users the same. We've changed the names to be more informative, i.e. JimsPC with user Jim, and JennysLaptop with user Jenny. that works fine till we view the other's computer over the network. My desktop shows up as JimsPC (as it should) but the user still shows up as MyPC, and my wife's laptop correctly shows up as JennysLaptop but still with user MyLaptop. Everything else works as it should.

What do we need to change to ensure that all the changes are carried through correctly on each machine? A reboot was needed for the above changes to take effect so I guess that won't solve the issue.

Powered by Free Banners
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 01:22
You can name the computer and you can name the user using the computer. For instance, I'm thecomet@twilight, where thecomet is the username and twilight the name of the computer.

To me it seems like you changed the computer name but not your username.

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 01:32
Quote: "To me it seems like you changed the computer name but not your username."

No, that's the problem. We've both changed our user name as well but the old user name still shows up in each case - on the other machines. Each show up correctly on the machine belonging to the respective user.

Perhaps another reboot is required on each machine and the first reboot only changed the new name for the computer. All a bit confusing.

Powered by Free Banners
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 01:46
Did you change the existing username or create a new user?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
in my experience changing the username doesn't fully work and you have to create a new user.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 11:33
Might be that the DNS is registered to each computer already.

You could try running a command prompt, and entering:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

This should reset the DNS info and the next time the PC's access the network, they should update to the new user names etc.

I am the one who knocks...
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 12:47 Edited at: 6th Dec 2014 13:07
Quote: "Did you change the existing username or create a new user?"

I changed the existing username on each machine.

Interestingly, we booted up from cold on each machine this morning and we are one step closer but still not quite right.

There are two issues outstanding (see image below taken from JIMSDESKTOP):

1. Certain parts of the Network and HomeGroup views display the old User names.

2. One machine is not listed under the Homegroup heading but, according to Control Panel is a member of the Homegroup.

Interestingly all three machines can view files as intended. It's just the above petty details that are wrong.

I'll try VanB's suggestion and report back. Does that need to be done on each machine, and if not, on which?

[Edit Nope. That didn't work. I tried that on my two machines and the view from the desktop is identical to that shown here. Interestingly, Command Prompt showed the wrong user name in the path prompt so that looks like a machine rather than a network problem doesn't it? I tried changing the name manually but was told I needed permission from SYSTEM whatever that means. ]

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 13:26
Quote: "in my experience changing the username doesn't fully work and you have to create a new user."

It's beginning to look that way.

Just done some searching on the issue and this link suggests one way of effecting the change:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147545-user-profile-folder-change-user-account-folder-name.html

Looks like it might be more trouble than it's worth. Still doesn't explain other inconsistencies though. For example, from my laptop the Homegroup heading shows two other users: Jenny on JJBLAPTOP and My PC on JIMSDESKTOP. The first is correct, the second is wrong.

Powered by Free Banners
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 20:21
I've never bothered with that windows homegroup junk. MS attempt at simple file sharing fails in my opinion.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 23:27
The file sharing is fine. The problem seems to be that the user's main folder can't be changed easily, i.e. the C:Users/UserName folder. The UserName part doesn't match changes in the actual UserName.

Just makes the whole thing look amateurish to me.

Powered by Free Banners
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 00:54
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 01:21
Thanks. Still looks unnecessarily cumbersome to me - and hence error prone. And of course it doesn't explicitly tell you what to do if you have Home Premium - you have to write out the steps carefully yourself using the information provided. Hardly ideal.

I might try that method though, one day when I'm both wide awake and with nothing else to do.

Powered by Free Banners
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it not easier to simply make a new user?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 01:45
Quote: "Is it not easier to simply make a new user?"

This^

If it were linux you'd just

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 12:54
Quote: "Is it not easier to simply make a new user"

Possibly. But since I've never done that I've no idea whether there are unexpected side effects - such as the need to transfer files, set up new installations, etc, etc. Would deleting the old user also delete the old user's files??

Surely, it's not beyond the wit of MS to have a simple change carried through consistently? I guess it must be.

Powered by Free Banners
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 13:00
Quote: "
Possibly. But since I've never done that I've no idea whether there are unexpected side effects - such as the need to transfer files, set up new installations, etc, etc. Would deleting the old user also delete the old user's files??"

Yes, you would have to move your files and some programs might need to be reinstalled (some have the option to "install for me or install for all users" but my experience is that as long as you put things in the same place as before it will work pretty well.

Quote: "
Surely, it's not beyond the wit of MS to have a simple change carried through consistently? I guess it must be.
"

It probably isn't, but it would cost money for relativley low gain. This kind of stuff is something that makes linux a lot more user friendly than linux IMO, someone at some point has had the need to change a username and because of the open source nature, they made that change which was added to the main source. There are lots of examples of small features that don't really add that much benefit but are still really nice to have on linux.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 20:44
Create a new user, copy files from old user account to new one. Delete old user. Done.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2014 00:23
I generally install games and games software to My Documents. Would moving everything around simply mess up the installations?