Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Storing credit card info without my authorization

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2014 17:58
Can an online company legally store my credit card info after a transaction without me explicitly agreeing they can save my info? To me, that sounds like a breach of PCI compliance, but I can't find a specific clause for this situation.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 9th Dec 2014 22:29
Not sure what you mean. Wouldn't they need to keep certain details in case you later queried the transaction?

What details are you referring to anyway?

Powered by Free Banners
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2014 00:16 Edited at: 10th Dec 2014 00:22
Don't take this as even close to fact, but i believe they can store the card number just as a physical store can run and keep a carbon imprint if say their computers are down. Banks and card issuers actually give brick and mortar stores machines to take such imprints with. (I work with retail point of sale systems for brick and mortar stores)

The requirements to meet pci compliance are that the data must be secured to the degree specified in PCI laws and regulations. For an online company this would involve adequate encryption, firewall, network and server security etc.

Many companies will store only the last 4 digits, and * mask or drop the rest, even if it is adequately secured to further limit PCI compliance liability.

Whether they *should* be able to store it without consent is an entirely different conversation

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2014 23:50
Quote: "Many companies will store only the last 4 digits"

They only query their server to show you the last 4, but the entire credit card number is in fact stored for future use. To show the entire number, they would have to send the whole number back across the internet to you, which would be a violation of PCI. (at least that's how I understand it) I was an ecommerce developer which is the only reason I've even heard of PCI before.

I've called them up before and had the information store erased, but next time I used my card they stored it again anyway.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 08:18:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 08:18:55