Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Frostbite

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Yo!

As usual I participated at the recent Ludum Dare competition and made a game using DBP.

For those who don't know the event, it's a 48h game jam taking place three times a year (on a weekend in April, August, December). Anyone can participate, either alone or in a team, and create a game from scratch. It's supposed to be related to a theme that is announced at the beginning of the event and based on votes of the participants themselves prior to that.
This time's theme was Entire Game on One Screen. It's up to you how to interpret the theme, literal or in some twisted way, whether it affects gameplay, presentation, story or whatever - there just has to be some clear relation.

I went for a 3D game in which you control a snowman ("Snowman" was an alternative theme that made second place, hence a lot of people incorporated it into their games as well), who has a big flatscreen in his living room on which he plays a 2D platformer which is also about a snowman.

There is a twist though: The 2D game within the game is rather bad - not only is it kind of boring, it also requires an extra CD for each new level. The snowman protagonist however has left the CDs all over the place, hence has to traverse his overly complex house and find the CDs before he can continue playing his favorite game.

There really is a lot of stuff in the game (arguably too much) and I made sure there's something new in each level to keep things interesting.

Playing through the game would probably take you about 20 minutes and you can do that here (or alternatively using the direct download link).

Alternatively, here's a full playthrough video:

And that's all I've got to say for now. Let me know what you think, in case you think anything about it.

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2014 01:29
Wow, That's a clever idea. I watched the video and it looked pretty good. I'll have to dl it later. Great job for being done in 48 hours.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2014 18:12
Nice work. I like what you did with the different layers of game play.

ShellfishGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2014 01:06 Edited at: 18th Dec 2014 01:07
Thanks guys. I'm actually considering working on a proper Post Ludum Dare build of the game, with the 2D parts improved in some way I haven't figured out yet and greater focus on the gravity changing thing as that seems to work quite well. Would probably make a neat little puzzle game with a bit of a story supporting it.
But I guess that's a project for 2015, got enough to do throughout the next 2 weeks.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 06:26
I thought I commented on this...

Keep us posted on updates!

Watched the whole video, I would pay for that game!

Nice blend of Classic humour and Portal...

Love the gravity effects, I guess you wrote your own Physics system?

This is just too funny

For a first attempt, not bad!

What did you use to create the levels?

And I want to ask questions about the surprise but I don't want to spoil the er... surprise

Good Work!

ShellfishGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Well thank you!

It was indeed a self written physics system, basically just a select block assigning base vectors to all 6 gravity directions and some camera angle interpolation.

The levels were created entirely in the code, that was quite a hassle but I thought it would still be faster than writing an editor or figure out how to use an existing one and properly import the levels.

So, to give you an example, each of the 6 existing levels looks somewhat like this:

Had quite some fun finetuning all these coordinates.
The voxel system was the very first thing I programmed that weekend, it basically just checks each cell and looks for surfaces and then creates them using textured plains.

Well if you want to ask a question about the surprise, there's a thread on the DBPro board covering the technique behind it. Otherwise just use a Code Snippet to hide it or whatever.

David Rawlings
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks really cool! Well done

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 09:51:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 09:51:02