Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Programming with DarkGDK and sell the Game? license or free?!?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

i want to programming a 2d game in c++ and like to use the darkgdk toolkit!

If i want to sell the game, should i buy a license or is it free and i may only have to tell about the use of it or somethimng like that?

I have download the toolkit from here:
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2128&page=index

It says: "[...] Harness the power and performance of C++

Royalty-free license (for personal use)

Full IntelliSense support in Visual C++ 2008 Express [...]

and here it says:
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2128&page=upgrade
"
Dark GDK and Dark GDK.NET

Dark GDK and Dark GDK.Net are now both FREE to download and use. If you wish to sell games you are now free to do so and no cost.
"

On the other side i have see this page:
darkgdk.com
and i can purchase the toolkit (OR LICENSE???!!??) for 59,99$!

What must i do now, before selling my game, programmed with the use of DarkGDK in VC++?

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 22:18 Edited at: 16th Dec 2014 23:51
The "DarkGDK.com" site is a spinoff made by a private individual (Matthew D'Onofrio, known in this forum as "Mistrel"). It has gone by two different names "PureGDK" and "DarkGDK 2.0". His website seems to pretend now to be the regular DarkGDK - but it is not. Not sure what's going on there, but the upgrades and improvements he was apparently in the process of making to the original DarkGDK seemed to show a lot of promise. The author apparently had some sort of deal with The Game Creators?, but then he vanished some time ago without a word - leaving everybody hanging. Not sure what his deal was, but I'd say disregard that site, and do not purchase there. I wasn't here at the time all this was happening. This is just what I've gathered from browsing the forum here when I was looking into it myself.

So download the real DarkGDK from this site. And as it says - all is free now:
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2128&page=download

The free "Commercial License" (download #4) is an earlier version, so I would not recommend using that one. Stick with the Download #3 (download the two Upgrades as well). Included are samples and documentation.

If you'd like something more recent than the 2010 Upgrade, you can download the latest open-source version from the official public repository here. If you click on Wiki, you'll see a link to Build instructions:
https://code.google.com/p/darkbasicpro/

Here's a description and download of major improvements I made to the open-source version here (now in the repository as r102-r113). You can also download the compiled libraries here also if you don't wish to compile them yourself:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209001&b=22

And here's WickedX's thread of further improvements he's made since the latest from the repository. You can look at his ChangeLog to see the improvements he's made - and he is still actively making & releasing new improvements:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209827&b=22

Whatever you choose to do, start with the downloads from thegamecreators.com link, download #3 with the 2 Upgrades, because that way you'll get the samples and documentation.

P.S. If you don't already have Visual Studio 2008, you may find it hard to come by. If you cannot find Visual Studio 2008, it seems 2010 and 2013 are the only ones available. The 2010 DarkGDK Upgrade will work with Visual Studio 2010 (or 2008). As for using the source code from the repository or from WickedX, if you're using a version of Visual Studio that is different than 2008, I think you'll need to recompile the source code with your own version of Visual Studio for it to work with that version. But I'm not sure, as WickedX and I both use Visual Studio 2008.

Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
der_korrekte
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much for the fast answer!

Most is now clear, so i'm on the right way, and already programmed some stuff!
Now i wish to programming a full game, i think of a 2D-Platformer or a Puzzle-Game...
and may wish to release it to a Community like Desura.com and sell it for a little Money!
DarkGDK is easy to use, and let me simply draw sprites over the screen! So i wanna use it for my game.

Is this possible? Must i leave a part of the money to "thegamecreators"?

Thank you very much
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 14:28
You're welcome

You sound excited! Enjoy it!!

Yes it's possible. And free is free. You could always leave a blurb with your game about what tool you used to create your game and where others can get it, if you'd like. I'm sure TGC ("thegamecreators") would appreciate it

Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 31st Dec 2014 01:02
Quote: "Dark GDK and Dark GDK.NET

Dark GDK and Dark GDK.Net are now both FREE to download and use. If you wish to sell games you are now free to do so and no cost.
"

Seriously... what the hell...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:30:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:30:24