Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2015 07:04 Edited at: 19th Jan 2015 15:01
Here is a game that is loosely based on an old electronic-mechanical arcade machine, which were precursors to video arcade machines.

Basically you control a metal rod that a ball rolls on.
The object is to get the ball into the target hole, without going into any of the other holes.
The whole time the rod is moving upward until it reaches the top, where it then returns to the bottom and you try again.
The player gets a point for their score for every ball that goes in the target hole.
If the ball goes in any other hole you lose that ball.
You start with 6 marbles in this version of the game.

The original game was fun to play and took a lot of skill.
It used a pinball, and had two joysticks that controlled each end of the rod.
This video game version is only using one virtual joystick (right hand side) at the moment, which can be used by the mouse for this PC demo.
I plan on using both joysticks for the mobile version.

Try it out (see attached) and tell me what you think.
See if you can get a score of 50. My best so far is 43.

P.S
I almost forgot, a new hole opens up whenever your ball enters a hole. (unlike original of course)
Every time you get 5 points, the holes reset to the default holes plus one random, and the bar increases in speed.

Have Fun!

Edit
I put up a new zip with better controls.
Now you can use A or D or the Left and Right Arrow keys.
There are NO Virtual Joysticks now in the PC version of the game.
It is a little easier to play now, and I managed to get 52 with this one.

Using AppGameKit V1 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 16th Jan 2015 06:18
This looks interesting, will try to remember to download it later on my main comp...

I don't usually browse the AppGameKit WIPs board, looked for this after you mentioned it in the NGCM 2015 thread...

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 07:36
Quote: "will try to remember to download it later on my main comp.."

I hope someone will give this thing a try.

It is taking longer to get someone to try it out than it did to make the game.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 08:25
The controls are awful for mouse... any chance of an indicator of where to click and drag?

It is very irritating...

The concept is fun though, maybe add Left and Right or A and D controls?

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 09:37
The control is the right hand joystick down at the bottom.
I removed the inner part of the graphic, so the outer part just looks like a control pad.
Click in the center of that and then move up or down with the mouse, OR click at top and bottom of that pad.
It takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it its not that bad.

I will add controls for A and D as well as the <-- and --> arrow keys.

Good call, and thanks for playing!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 10:06
Ah up and down, I thought moving diagonally was feeling awkward

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2015 01:53 Edited at: 18th Jan 2015 03:03
I just put up a new download in the first post.
Now you can use the A and D or the Left and Right Arrow keys.

It is a bit easier now though.
I managed to get 52

Edit
lol 64

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2015 07:40
Hehehehe will try it soon!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2015 13:11
I downloaded and had a play. I don't think you've successfully uploaded the new version. A/D and arrow keys didn't work, but joystick still did.

I love the idea, a great use of physics. My personal preferences...

1. Start slower. It is very unforgiving at the top when you try to align with the hole. At the start it would be good if you could roll the ball into the hole if you make it that far.

2. When you lose a life, allow a couple of seconds to compose yourself before starting again.

I think you could really go to town on the old-fashioned look of this game. Maybe look at Bioshock Infinite for some inspiration.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2015 14:39 Edited at: 19th Jan 2015 15:25
i'll test the download and try again , sorry

That was weird.
I double checked the file and uploaded it again but got the same result, the old file.
Then I tried it again with a new name for the zip and it worked right.
Must be something with the forum reloading the old file if the name has not changed.
Anyway, it should be right now, because I downloaded it and tested it.
So, sorry about that and please try again because the ball rolls better with the new controls. (tweaked it a bit)

Quote: "I love the idea, a great use of physics. "

Thanks, I wanted to play around with physics and the balls before starting my pinball project.

Quote: "1. Start slower. It is very unforgiving at the top when you try to align with the hole. At the start it would be good if you could roll the ball into the hole if you make it that far."

Not sure what you mean by rolling in the hole at the start.
All of those holes are ones you should avoid.
You can roll back into the hole at the top as long as the top of the ball is not higher than the top of the hole.

Quote: "2. When you lose a life, allow a couple of seconds to compose yourself before starting again."

It does take awhile if you go in a lower hole, but not as much near the top.
I sped the bar up once you go in for a faster reset, so people will not get impatient waiting for the next ball to start.
Maybe I can slow that back down to normal speed if they go in somewhere in the top third of the screen or so.

Quote: "I think you could really go to town on the old-fashioned look of this game. Maybe look at Bioshock Infinite for some inspiration."

Yes, I was thinking of making some accents for the corners of the screen.
Maybe something at the bottom of the screen around the score since the joysticks are gone.
I was thinking of going with an Art-Deco kind of look, but steam punk would be cool too.

Thanks for playing it and leaving feedback. I appreciate that a lot.
I want to start cranking out casual games rapidly, so they will have minimal features and graphics.
Then, if people like the idea, I can improve on it.
Didn't want to spend a lot of time perfecting a game people don't like to play. (been there, done that, and what a waste of time)

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2015 15:49
I now have the keyboard-controlled version.

Quote: "You can roll back into the hole at the top as long as the top of the ball is not higher than the top of the hole. "

That's the bit I was struggling with, with the joystick control.

But with the keyboard control, none of my above comments are relevant! The speed is fine, I don't need a couple of seconds to compose myself. If you can replicate the same level of control on a mobile app (I presume you'll use the gyroscope?) then you've got a good game.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2015 16:45 Edited at: 19th Jan 2015 16:50
Quote: "... with the keyboard control, none of my above comments are relevant! The speed is fine, I don't need a couple of seconds to compose myself."

COOL!
I was thinking of a quick animation for the ball's remaining to slow that down.
I guess I could still do the animation just for look, without slowing it down by waiting for it.

Quote: "If you can replicate the same level of control on a mobile app (I presume you'll use the gyroscope?) then you've got a good game."

I guess I need to use something other than that virtual joystick.
I was thinking of maybe just making the lower part of the screen as two buttons, for thumb control.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 09:38 Edited at: 21st Jan 2015 09:52
Here is something else I have been working on, but I think I may just have it as a bonus level for this game rather build it as its own game. You will notice the three targets at the top (see image below). The one on the right will turn blue when hit, making all three lit at the same time, which will make something happen (you will get 5 points too). Speaking of the score... If score > 0 then player = lucky. Try it out if you want (see attached zip), but know that it is really simple right now as I have more tweaking on the flippers and bumper. Oh yeah, that bumper slides back and forth.

<-- and -->
Arrow Keys for Flippers

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:58:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:58:09