Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Wow, Windows 10 is actually looking pretty darn good!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 22nd Jan 2015 23:24 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2015 23:25
Check it out: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7865973/microsoft-windows-10-new-desktop-features

Not to mention the update will be free for Windows 7 and 8 users! Not sure exactly how that's working though, read something about 'for the first year', does that means they're going to a subscription OS?! Or you can get the full OS for free, but only within the first year of release?

Edit: Lol, "Xbox One, the most fun game platform ever"

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2015 23:56
No one is really sure about the subscription OS, but I doubt it. That would immediately alienate a lot of people.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2015 23:57
Quote: "Or you can get the full OS for free, but only within the first year of release?"
That's the way it sounded to me, and I sure would hope so. But if it is indeed becoming a subscription based service, I am not sure what to think of that.

The presentation was painful; the guy seemed very uncomfortable, and they didn't really seem to give that much new information, besides the free releases. The multi platform support description was vague at best.

bringing the forum to life with innovative irrelevancies™
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 00:47
Quote: "Or you can get the full OS for free, but only within the first year of release?"

I believe they said they're doing this to defragment the Windows OS market, so I'm pretty sure that this is the case, it is not subscription based.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 03:13 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2015 19:19
@budokaiman - Great news, check your e-mail! (don't judge the name of my e-mail address)

[EDIT] Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry!

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 09:50
Fast forward to 2:05...nobody is paying any attention. He's talking to a room of about 20 people, and they're all doing stuff on their laptops

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 18:13
It sounds like he's being told what so say through an earpiece. The awkward half-pauses seem to indicate that, maybe he couldn't remember the speech so they had to do that?

Microsoft is certainly no Apple when it comes to keynote presentations.

Despite this, I am still excited for Windows 10. It's a free upgrade, so that's really good, and it looks like it's what 8 should have been all along!

It's back, baby!
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Not sure exactly how that's working though, read something about 'for the first year', does that means they're going to a subscription OS?!"

No, I believe that means you have to claim your free copy within the first year of Windows 10 being released.

Quote: "He's talking to a room of about 20 people, and they're all doing stuff on their laptops"

I noticed this too. They are probably reporters, so it makes a bit of sense.

Sean

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2015 21:17
Quote: "I believe they said they're doing this to defragment the Windows OS market"

That'd make sense to me. At this point I think it's important they bring the majority of their market to the latest wave of products, although if it's only a free upgrade from 7/8 they'll be missing out on all the XP/Vista users.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 05:55
It does indeed look really good! I sincerely want to like Windows 10, so I really hope M$ doesn't give me any reason not to.

Quote: "I believe they said they're doing this to defragment the Windows OS market, so I'm pretty sure that this is the case, it is not subscription based."

I'd agree with that; sounds like a really good way to achieve that goal, too. If M$ does do a subscription-based scheme, that'd be it for me. They'd instantly lose my support of Windows. But I seriously doubt they would be that stupid, so I'm not worrying

Quote: "[EDIT] Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry!"

loool ya dingbat

Quote: "although if it's only a free upgrade from 7/8 they'll be missing out on all the XP/Vista users."

Yeah, but there's not a huge amount of Windows XP users left and there's only a minuscule amount of Vista users. I don't think it'll be an issue.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 06:04 Edited at: 26th Jan 2015 06:05
Quote: "[EDIT] Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry!"
Banned for three days.

bringing the forum to life with innovative irrelevancies™
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 16:59
Quote: "...if it's only a free upgrade from 7/8 they'll be missing out on all the XP/Vista users. "

XP is 13 years old, and Vista is 8; that's old enough that not only has long-term support ended for them, but also old enough that the vast majority of computers running them won't be able to run Windows 10. I bet that's the major reason behind only making it a free upgrade for 7/8/8.1 users, with the other reason being they'll have to make money off of it somehow, as well.

Oh man, looking at old screenshots of Windows Xp is bringing back a ton of great memories. It was the first operating system I used frequently enough to be super familiar with it, I loved all the themes that were available for it, and DarkBASIC Pro worked like a charm on it. XP is by far my favorite Windows OS, with 7 being really close behind. I'm hoping that Windows 10 will become the best one yet!

It's also making me consider a Windows phone in the future, if it can run full-fledged Windows 10 on it, seems like a good deal to me. I am really starting to hate Android and iPhones seem ridiculous, since they don't have any form of memory expansion/ability to change battery.

It's back, baby!
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
7 is way better than XP!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 17:26
Windows XP users haven't "paid their dues". They won't give a free upgrade to users who haven't contributed for so many years.

In business software you pay ongoing maintenance, which pays for the development of the next version, and you continue to get free updates. Once you drop off maintenance, you revert back to paying full price for any upgrade.

Think of Windows 7 and 8 as maintenance payments that get you access to the next upgrade.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 17:53
Quote: "7 is way better than XP! "

In many aspects, yes! I agree entirely. But XP is still my favorite, it played loads of old games without any issues, and it just has a lot of nostalgia attached to it for me.

Its load times were awful though, I remember on our new XP machine we bought in 2002, it took a full minute to even get to the user screen, ad we thought that was fast! Once it got going though, it was fast for its time.

It's back, baby!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 23:10
They will still make money from the OS after the one year period and I doubt a lot of money comes from people actually upgrading the OS. Most of it is probably from new computers. Also, it would be better for MS to have people upgrade to 10 as soon as possible to avoid having to support windows 7 eight years from now because people never upgraded, like XP

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 23:19
Microsoft's business plan is changing from the OS sales to a cloud/service-based infrastructure. That's why they've moved to Office 365 instead of discrete releases for consumers and they've been pushing Azure(their version of Amazon's AWS servers) pretty hard.

All I know for sure about MS is that if they ever go to a subscription-based payment plan, I'm going to move all of my stuff to Linux. And I can only imagine there'll be a lot of people moving with me.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2015 23:34
Quote: "Oh man, looking at old screenshots of Windows Xp is bringing back a ton of great memories. It was the first operating system I used frequently enough to be super familiar with it, I loved all the themes that were available for it, and DarkBASIC Pro worked like a charm on it. XP is by far my favorite Windows OS, with 7 being really close behind. I'm hoping that Windows 10 will become the best one yet!"

+1 to that!

Quote: "It's also making me consider a Windows phone in the future, if it can run full-fledged Windows 10 on it, seems like a good deal to me."

While I'd never ever give up my Android phone experience, having a Windows 10 tablet seems like a brilliant. During our many, many trips to Armidale (a near-two-hour drive) I've repeatedly wished I had a laptop I could bring with me to continue my programming (because my last laptop was my main gaming PC until the excessive heat eventually fried the motherboard). Then I wished I could just program on my tablet. Then I wondered whether I could dual-boot Windows and Android on my Nexus 7. Then I tried booting Windows XP through an app, which worked but was truly horrifically slow. Then I tried tethering my phone to my tablet and using a VNC-like program but A) Australia has crappy mobile network coverage and B) our internet at our house was too slow at the time.

So I'm really excited for the possibility of carrying a full Windows computer with me in a tablet. Not only would I be able to program on the touchscreen (which is generally not the best of experiences) but I could easily plug in a mouse a keyboard and have a normal laptop experience!

Quote: "I am really starting to hate Android"

Why?

Quote: "7 is way better than XP!"

Yeah probably, but I still love Windows XP!

Quote: "Once it got going though, it was fast for its time."

I'll say! It was WAAAY faster than Windows 98 and a thousand times more stable!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 04:28
Quote: "Why?"

One word: fragmentation. I know it's something Google is trying to fix, but when you let every phone manufacturer customize everything to a ridiculous extent, it's just not going to get fixed. My phone probably won't get Lollipop until the end of the year (at least!), but I plan on buying a new phone well before that point. I thought I wanted an iPhone, but with Windows 10 almost assuredly coming out this year, I think I better hold off until I can play with it a bit!

It's back, baby!
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 04:46 Edited at: 27th Jan 2015 04:48
Quote: "One word: fragmentation. I know it's something Google is trying to fix, but when you let every phone manufacturer customize everything to a ridiculous extent, it's just not going to get fixed. My phone probably won't get Lollipop until the end of the year (at least!), but I plan on buying a new phone well before that point. I thought I wanted an iPhone, but with Windows 10 almost assuredly coming out this year, I think I better hold off until I can play with it a bit!"

Yeah, I feel you. It's pretty annoying that Google can't make it less fragmented and easier for OEMs to customise (i.e. the interface could be a layer on top of the underlying OS so that you could get the OS updates directly from Google).

Trust me, you do NOT want an iPhone! As good as they are, it'll annoy the crap out of you if you've used Android for any length of time. A Windows 10 phone, OTO... that'd probably be pretty awesome!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 05:12 Edited at: 27th Jan 2015 05:13
Quote: "the interface could be a layer on top of the underlying OS so that you could get the OS updates directly from Google"

I love my windows phone for that, they just said no to the phone companies customizing it. I can even delete all the phone company supplied apps

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Trust me, you do NOT want an iPhone! As good as they are, it'll annoy the crap out of you if you've used Android for any length of time. A Windows 10 phone, OTO... that'd probably be pretty awesome!"

Not to start this again, but I went from Android to iOS and it didn't not annoy the crap out of me.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 17:48
Windows is so good that they use Macs LOL

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jan 2015 17:56
The only thing that I foresee annoying me about an iPhone is the non-expandable memory. I tend to download a lot of music on to my phones so space is eaten up quickly (although on my HTC One M8 I got the 32GB model and I've yet to eat up even half of it), but I could gt past it.

But, I am thinking a Windows Phone sounds pretty good. I just spent the better part of my morning looking into one, and it truly is a glorious phone model. I remember when they first came around a few years ago and I thought "Oh poor Microsoft, they'll never compete with Apple and Android at this point", but obviously (and thankfully) I was mistaken! Now I truly want one, it looks very refreshingly different and with Windows 10 just around the corner, I can't wait to see what they do with it!

Quote: "I can even delete all the phone company supplied apps "

This reason alone would be enough to convince me to go with Windows Phone already. I hate all of the pre-installed bloatware that pollutes the phone and takes up a lot of space. I also hate rooting my phone just to get rid of said apps, as I shouldn't have to put that much work into it. Those apps should be optional, and that's that. If the user doesn't want them, they shouldn't be downloaded onto the phone, pure and simple. But they'll never do that, will they?

It's back, baby!
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2015 00:24
Quote: "Not to start this again, but I went from Android to iOS and it didn't not annoy the crap out of me."

I'm only speaking from experience.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:12:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:12:28