Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / advanced terrain help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2015 08:56 Edited at: 24th Jan 2015 10:04
Hi
I want to use advanced terrain Instead of using matrixs.
The help files are very basic and dont explain very well.
can anyone help me.
I was particularly confused about the terrain heightmap command, what it does and how do you create it.
I would like to create a landscape with hills and mountains With high quality texturing.
Also what software do you use to create high quality textures ?
Any help would be great.
Thankyou.
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2015 12:12
Here is an example with code
rem parts are explaining what does what
the heightmap is a relief reference image (must be 24bit greyscale image - black is lowest spots - full white is highest spots ) to which the terrain object moulds its shape to.
high quality texturing depends very much on the size/detail of the terrain textures since Advanced Terrain uses only one terrain texture spread across the Whole terrain (no Alpha layers) and a detail texture.
For building the heightmaps and the terrain texture I suggest you to have a look at the free version of L3DT.
It's quite a powerful terrain editor that allows you to automatically create terrains according to initial settings and model it at will in 3D editor and then export the heightmap and terrain texture . Remember to export the heightmap in 24bit color depth format or convert it to that in a graphic editor.
For the detail texture for DBP you must experiment on your own trying several of them.
L3DT takes a while to learn especially if you edit the terrain and need to rebuild the heightmap and terrain texture accordingly therefore get patient.
Cheers

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Thankyou for your reply. Ill have a look at the code when I get home tonight.
Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
I looked at your code, it was a great help.

Ive left you a personal message as I have a couple of questions, hope you don't mind.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 11:20:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 11:20:24