Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Kingdom Battle Grounds [AGK2 wip]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 13:35
Softmotion, keep up the good work. This is, quite simply, revolutionary in its potential for Agk, Rick and the team should be paying particular attention to this. You animation and collision is particularly impressive, if you can get it to running on tablets your on to a sure fire winner.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 13:54
Looks amazing and a lot of hard work paying off! I have to say though it might be worth putting some extra / new sound fx in for the fighting, sounds like a fight in a rubber factory

Seriously though this is awesome work!

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 19:07
Lol! Yeah the sfx are purely in there for testing only. Thanks guys! I will be coding an inventory system next... Then the arrows/guns. Id like to showcase this new game engines view distance. Its the largest size tiled map ive ever done... Even larger view then what i had done with darkbasic.

www.sheldonscreations.com
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 00:05
Ugh, I hate coding interface elements so so much, that's exactly what I'm doing now too!

But just saying what's true..... So totally jealous of your coding ability right now. Lol.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 06:03
Quote: "So totally jealous of your coding ability right now. Lol. "

hehe....well thanks! I've been coding for years so i guess i got better with age.

here is a video i wanted to show with an actual scene being built.
I spent all day drawing this and will be one of the many,many maps that will be drawn for the game. Gives you an idea of how big the view distance is and wow...its a tiled map to boot!
very easy to edit!

btw... i will make a new shield for those skeletons and also adjust some ai/health settings eventually.

(once its uploaded)

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 14:32 Edited at: 7th Jul 2015 14:32
This is shaping up very well. I think the level is a good size and you have a nice amount of enemies on the screen.

Keep up the good work.

Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 20:14
Brilliant work SoftMotion3D

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 02:04
WOW...

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 13:03
Just put of curiosity, can you apply a simple texture to the blocks, minecraft style?
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 15:21
Yes it is possible to do. Currently this project is using a single texture for everything. I'm going to try leaving it thisway to make the game look cartoonish. One other thing is that the editor is not limited to square blocks. I have designed some code that enables me to merge actual obj files together as 1 for faster processing. This draw grid is 64x16x64. Since these maps virtually use no memory, i will be able to make an rpg using little disk space. If that scene was saved out as a single obj file it could be a 10+meg file. The game engine builds the square shapes with code making each map about 700k ish. Verygood for the mobile platforms.

Patriick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2015 20:00
Wow, this is mind blowing... Great work here!! I've seen a few of your other posts too and you're doing some really great work here.

- Patrick.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2015 19:14
Thanks! Its always nice to hear that im on track in the right direction. Last week i finished up the main view hub (life,magic... Etc). I also coded in experience points and shooting arrows. The experience points are setup so you level up your attack as you play along.

I'm now deciding if i should have an inventory and money system or keep it more simple simular to nes(zelda 2) for magic selection menu and special items acquired.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2015 00:51
here is the latest screenshot and the first cave scene i made.

now i just need to make more enemy types.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2015 02:23
this is still a very heavy work in progress...

here is a video showing arrows,treasure chests, and clearing a scene to make a chest appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyyjNcPAagE

I am now working on drawing the first town and finishing off with the castle next.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2015 06:25 Edited at: 26th Jul 2015 16:29
ok now i have lighting working for once....

here is a screenshot inside a cave

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2015 17:24
This is a very exciting project, just watched the latest video clip which is awesome and the lighting picture looks impressive. If you carry on like this you will have a classic on your hands

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 16:34
this will be my last video till i have a playable demo to release.

in this video im showcasing the lighting system and 1 new entity im yet to finish coding.

here is the video

im currently drawing maps and adding entities and should have a playable demo later this year.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 06:27
Quote: "This is a very exciting project, just watched the latest video clip which is awesome and the lighting picture looks impressive. If you carry on like this you will have a classic on your hands"

Most definitely.
I have been away from this thread too long, but it is nice to be here now, because this is amazing.
Really, this is looking better than awesome.
This really shows what AppGameKit and dedication can do.

Quote: "should have a playable demo later this year"

I am looking forward to it.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2015 02:31
thanks for the great feedback!

i have a new image to showoff, i also did an awesome intro where the knight hits my logo and it tumbles over.(i'll save that for when the demo is released for everyone to see)

i have some bushes drawn now and am just going over adding more details but here is a screen shot so far.

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2015 04:26
So awesome I like the mass friendly/Enemy AI system.

Do you need some kind of music for your game?
I am looking forward to create some stuff, but I have no reason to do it

[/url]
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2015 17:31
I do write my own music... If your music fits an adventure type game id be interested using it. Im more after some sfx if you know how to make those? I will need a fair bit of music too.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2015 06:43
Quote: "Im more after some sfx if you know how to make those? "

SFXR

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2015 17:14
Quote: "SFXR"

yeah thats what i currently am using.

well im rolling out the world map today on paper. its going to be simular to zelda 1 on nes where each loaded map is one small grid on the world map. Once i have this complete i can start working on the first mission which was to kidnap the elf princess if i can remember from my original story...lol

i will be customly designing a boss fight on each of these bigger missions. For the first boss im thinking of a big dude with a club. I will make him 4 times the size of your character. I'll draw up the new elf fighters today also.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2015 23:56
ok i got my maps drawn...

so when exploring the world map...the map looks like this and shows you which direction your facing also.

when your inside a zone [level, cave , etc] the map looks like this and shows you exit points and where you have explored.

how cool is that!
now i just need to decide what other info should be available on those maps...

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 7th Aug 2015 02:37
Looking Fantastic

The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 06:54
its been a while since i posted anything....

some progress includes:
-new logo
-new map system
-some elfs and an elf brute

still have a rediculas amount of work to do on this project so i think i will put this one on hold for the year untill my space robot game is completed first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33MQfHm9Xo4&feature=youtu.be

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th Sep 2015 07:53
Sweet!

Stupinator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 07:41
Love this, shows the potential of AppGameKit with enough creativity.

Also: was the maze-ish part of the castle inspired by wolf3d? Can't help but draw likeness to that

-Stupinator
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2015 21:55
Quote: "Also: was the maze-ish part of the castle inspired by wolf3d? Can't help but draw likeness to that
"

it was actually an idea of having an alternate escape out of the castle for when your thrown in jail somewhere in the story. I could see how it could look simular to wolf3d since this is a tile based map (square-ish).

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 00:19
Quote: "i think i will put this one on hold for the year untill my space robot game is completed first"

I was wondering how you were going to cope with both projects on the go. Hope you come back to this.

Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2016 17:05
trying to unlock
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2016 17:24 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2016 21:00
that worked! thanks!

So... its been along time since i've worked on this project. Things have been getting crazy at work with oil prices down with massive layoffs...etc.
Last week i saw a 40% cut in staff where i work and i've never been more stressed out about possibly losing my job. One thing that seems to take
the stress off is coding.

So im looking at all the work that i've done with coding over the years and this project seems to stand out from all of it. So as you may have guessed
this is the project i have chosen to work on. A few things id like to change with this project.

-use texture mapping instead of plain colors.
-multiplayer over a single machine
-create allot of new characters and redraw existing ones.

my server seems to be down... will need to see why but for now i have uploaded some new images of the skeleton character redrawn.

I've also drawn a new character today... i may need to make his weapon holder bigger lol!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2016 02:01
Glad to see you back on this project, it's a good one
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice

Can you soften that black borders between the small cubes that makes up the characters?

It'll probably look more cell-shaded that way
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2016 19:09
Yeah the dark borders are 50% of the original color. I could change it just from modifying the texture file.

Once i get some new game footage ill play around withit to see what looks best.

Thanks ... For now i know i need allot of characters drawn so i will mostly be working on models.

Ill post new characters to show my progress.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2016 17:46
so im starting to look at the code again and am wondering if i should scrap the box look in the level design.
I want to keep the characters voxel looking including any trees or bushes or objects. I think since im switching over to textured level design that i shouldnt restrict it to a boxy look.

what do you guys think?

This would mean that im rebuilding the editor from scratch... but i guess im doing that anyways to add textures etc...

another idea that came to mind was a project i was working on before that looked like the attachment below. Thats a box design that has any height layout.
maybe i should aim for that look?

Attachments

PIXIMID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2016 04:09
Quote: "This would mean that im rebuilding the editor from scratch... but i guess im doing that anyways to add textures etc...

another idea that came to mind was a project i was working on before that looked like the attachment below. Thats a box design that has any height layout.
maybe i should aim for that look?"

I really like this style that you displayed in your attachment. In my opinion, if you have to start a new game engine to get this new look I would say that it would be definitely worth it.
Are those maps randomly generated or you have to build them also? I was also wondering if you were taking this style and mixing it into your previous game engine (voxel world engine)

Keep up the hard work.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2016 06:30
the world is not randomly generated with this project.... i was drawing it manually.

I did some improvements to my drawing program made in darkbasic. It looks like im going to be able to have more freedom on level design now.
here is a quick screenshot testing out level design. I should be back on track with this game project soon!

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2016 03:43 Edited at: 11th Apr 2016 03:48
Oh thanks!

I haven't been updating the tools online and my website has suffered a crash anyways... I have been making mostly improvements to Model Prop and the animation plugin. I will see if I got time tomorrow to start uploading these tools again for others to use.

unfortunately model prop is unstable... you need to save your work frequently when working in vertex mode. But.... It does exactly what I need it to do. I have it setup to split a texture into a whole bunch of textures thus making it possible to save out a single object as a world map.

this map picture I have below was drawn in model prop and is a single object with a single texture. As you can also see I have it working perfectly with my animation code for my voxel skeleton.

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2016 15:36
I wanted to share my first outside scene that I started to draw. It will have water running through it and there will be fighting along side it.
Drawing these maps takes allot of hours. What you see in this screenshot is a full 8hr day. I figure another 8hrs of drawing today should finish just this 1 map out of hundreds to draw.
At this point im thinking I should do all the art work before too much code is done. Making a game is truly 90% or more media then anything else I think.

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 14:49
that first river scene is mainly done now. took 12 hours to draw...crazy!
Im going to proceed with this drawing the castle next. I hope that a top down view will be acceptable.... I know I was doing 3rd view on last build but with the ability to control multiple players it would be better seen on an overhead top down camera. The same as the very first build.... but with a larger view area.

here is a zoomed out shot of the river crossing area. it does not have the river in it yet but will during game play. This scene is 1 object and has 1 texture image

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2016 02:49
ok... got some more stuff drawn.

I did some character work, have 2 of my scene maps drawn without trees or water or grass yet... just the base of the scenes.
Im hoping to have some playable video this weekend walking around with my new character, new collision code and scenes.
should look very sweet!

Attachments

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2016 17:03
ok first video of the new game engine build for this game.

the framerate is locked in at 30 but set to 0 gets well over 200fps on my crappy pc.
The big reason my projects are generally locked at 30 so i can do allot more code processing behind the scenes. A perfect example if i wanted to do 4 player split screen, i would need to be able to render the screen 4 times and still maintain my capped frame rate.

this video is showing the early stages of my first river scene. i will still be adding trees,grass that physical stands up and bushes.

I think changing this game over to use textures was a smart move as the game looks allot better visual.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2016 18:29
Make sure you keep the pixel scale of the textures about the same as the cube scale on the character / models. The grass texture is about right but the soil is too big. Keep the scale consistent and it could work really well! Excellent job
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2016 19:19
I have allot of stretched textures in that scene. I think you are right though keeping the scaling simular to the characters voxel cube size. I will need to add more verticies to keep the images from looking stretched.

Thanks for the feedback!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:51:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:51:07