Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / sorry to bother agian but i need an idea

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2003 22:37
I need an idea for a simple 2d game. Any one have an idea for me. If you do please tell me beacuase im dieing to make a game.

Justin Heintz
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Depends on what sort of game you like playing. A fruit machine is easy to make.

Pincho.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2003 00:50
clone:
A good 2d game to program is minesweeper. A clone of the one that comes with Windows. A game like this is good because.

1) you don't need to draw many graphics
2) It requires using many of the 2d commands
3) You can decide whether to work with sprites, images, bitmaps or a combination of these
4) You will learn how to control a gridmap (2d/3d array) which lends itself to other 2d tile-based games. In fact if you write the code to handle the tilesize at runtime you could easily use the tilemap module and adapt it to a simple rpg, or any simple topdown game, or with simple mods you can use it to create a tilebased sidescroller. And with more mods to the code you can journey into parallax scrolling (sidescroller adventure game; like mario, metroid, sonic.
5) You will learn how to use 1 layer of your array to display the right graphics and another layer to keep track of logic (ie, which spots have been revealed.)
6) This simple yet challenging project can be upgraded with better graphis and animations. IE. Instead of just plain gray squares to hide tiles you could rework into a HighTech theme or Infiltration of a prison camp. In other words rather than just uncovering mines the player will have to free prosoners and avoid fixed position guards (this would be an image of guard instead of a plain mine), or surveilance cameras etc. For an added bonus you can have a bitmap that is under all of the tiles and a special goal is for the player to guess the object that the bitmap depicts. This way they can clear the level even without opening all the squares, by typing in the correct answer for the bitmap image.
7) You can add powerups like smart bombs that the player can set off clearing larger sections and destroying guards/cameras. You could also add other powerups like stealth suits that would allow the player to open up boxes with invincibilty for a few seconds. Another power up could be night vision gogglesthat would prevent the player from clicking for a few seconds while showing them guard and prisoner
positions. There are tons of other ideas you could come up with

OR...

If you are more advanced than the above
Try doing a remake of Kennedy Approach that was released for the Commodore 64/128 and Atari 600/800/xe/xl systems. If you are not familiar with this game you could probably google it or download an emulator. If you think you would be interested I can e-mail you the game mechanics and provide some pseudo code on how to get started.

What do you think?
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
I have yet to see a Wheel Of Fortune in Dark BASIC.

I do plan on a multiplayer version in the next year or so if no one beats me to it.

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
I am Me
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 22:30
2 words... Pong!

I am not you
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 02:59
Is PONG! 2 words?

Man if that was an array, you would have accessed it out of bounds.

▒░▒░♂♀░▒░▒
Kwiki Mart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 03:16
I have my first game idea that i am still working on. It's about 70% done. It is a clone of the old atari game combat. Well at least the tank part of it. I am proud of it cause i did it all myself. It has cheesy graphics but they're mine. now if I can figure out how to post an image for you to see. Feel free to try your hand at a game like that. It'll teach you about sprites and collisions. and I still need to figure how to make some AI to chase me around.
Kwiki Mart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 04:03
Ah ha here it is. It's not much to look at but its fun to play.
i hope this worked. If not then sorry.

[img]http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/141203-shooting.JPG

On target, On time!
justinHeintz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 03:04
thanks for the ideas keep them coming

Justin Heintz
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 06:08 Edited at: 16th Dec 2003 06:13
I'm a sucke for logic games so...

A remake of codebreaker would be cool. I think it is was also released as a handheld board game under the name mastermind.

Either the opposing player or the computer generates a code using different collor marbles (i think the original had 5 or 6 marbles that made up the code to be broken). Now the player had to try and figure out what colors were in each slot. After each attempt he recieved a count for the number of right colors he decoded (in the comp game i think you also received an additional number for how many colors you had right, even it wasn't in the right slot) if you need furhter explanation of this game just ask. her is a sample using smiley's instead od marbles

the Hidden code

-----------------------------
The players Guesses followed by results (right icon rightslot/right icon)
1/1
1/2

I think from this you can get the idea.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I made Mastermind in Amos. It is easy to make. I have a really cool free version off the net.

I remember another really good game that you could make. You make a sprite that can run in all directions. You put chain saws all around the edges of the visible screen. Now you scroll the screen randomly in all directions. If the player is hit by the chain saws he dies. The player has to run away from the chain saws, but he is also faced by obstacles on the screen. He has to run away, but also cross bridges, collect things, and avoid nasty sprites. That was a great Amiga game, and it was free on a magazine.

Pincho.
Tersaken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2003 19:16
Hi Pincho,

I've already make a Master Mind, But i've coded it in Pure Basic.
Yes, it's really easy, you should try Justin !
If you control Dims, you will not have matters !
It's interrinsting to create your MasterMind but with MemBlocks, a dim in one dimension.

Good Luck !

Sorry for my weak language level !

Athlon 1700+ ; 256 Mo DDR ; GeForce Fx 5600 128 Mo.
justinHeintz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2003 00:22
that sounds like a great idea but i finaly got one so when im done ill start on it. I like the idea of a mine sweeper game to that seems kinda easy thanks for all the ideas

Justin Heintz

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 08:13:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 08:13:56