Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Help- Where to start learning?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 06:50
Hi,
I recently purchased AGK2 on sale and I have no experience in coding. I would like to get started in coding and stuff. The problem is... where do I start? I want to start with Tier 1 coding in AGK. Does anyone know any good learning sources for learning BASIC? I'm willing to do what ever it takes to learn BASIC and eventually C++. Thank you for any help!

~isaac
krid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 14:31
well, between BASIC and C++ is a big gap, so it will be much better to learn BASIC and then C or JAVA, because they much easier.

Best source to learn basic is : download old BASIC compiler, find any book for that old BASIC and learn it
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 15:44
The best resource for me is the supplied documentation. Create a new project and you basically have a small template program to work with.

First, read the "Principles" and "Language" sections, then there are many Examples. The command list is the most valuable part of the documentation.

Then, when creating stuff and you run in a problem, this forum is the place to ask. Everybody here is friendly and eager to help!

Regards Sph!nx
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 17:33
If you're getting really stuck then you could always buy this book: http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2334

Dead Pixel
Years of Service
User Offline
The author of "Hands On AppGameKit BASIC" is currently updating the content of the book to cover AGK2, he has the first 8 chapters of the updated content available free of charge as a *.pdf download from his site - http://www.digital-skills.co.uk/agksample.html

[ Coding In BASIC using AppGameKit V2 ]
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 22:48 Edited at: 9th Feb 2015 22:49
This is a good book by Alistair Stewart: http://www.digital-skills.co.uk/agk.html

It covers AppGameKit 1 specifically, but it the similarities are great between v1 and v2. It goes through the very basics (heh heh) of AppGameKit Basic, through talking about the various commands and what they do.

NOTE:
It is being revised for AppGameKit 2 and you can download the first 8 chapters for free (which will be very useful to you.)

Using AppGameKit v2 T1 + T2
Systems: Primary: Mac OS X 10.10
Secondary: Windows 7
Flock of These
Years of Service
User Offline
I also just bought AGK. I haven't coded for close to 15 years, but I learned BASIC with QBasic back in the day. I taught myself by looking at examples. AppGameKit comes with a lot of examples, for which I'm very grateful. If you haven't done it already, go to the "Tools" menu, and then go to "Install additional files" The AppGameKit projects is the one you want to install. I've had a look through them, and they seem commented fairly well, and are easy to follow. I do already have a basic understanding of BASIC though, so I'm not saying to ignore the previous answers and only learn from examples. It would have sped things up if I had a good book to work with as well when I learned QBasic.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2015 00:40
The supplied examples are a good place to look too.
Load up an example and run it. Then study the code, see how it was done and change a few things to see how it affects the program. A few ideas:

Make the objects in the demos move faster
Make things rotate
Change images for new ones
Change physics properties
Change properties by pressing different keys
etc etc

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
isaackoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2015 01:25
Thanks a lot guys! You guys are awesome. I'll take a look at http://www.digital-skills.co.uk/agk.html, some of the examples, and the public library.

~isaac
isaackoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2015 01:37 Edited at: 10th Feb 2015 04:21
Thank you for all your help, I think I'm going to start with unlikely's post and looking at some examples in AGK2. Then maybe I'll go to the library and check some BASIC books out. Thanks a lot though, you guys are awesome.

edit: sorry for double post, didn't show my first reply until now

~isaac
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2015 18:08
Hi,

I have recently purchased AGK2 along with the book in this link:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=203773&b=41
Teach Yourself Game Programming for Android and Windows [AGK eBook release]

Although it was written for AGK1, it will soon be having a free update for AGK2 so won't cost you more if you purchase now. The examples are still relevant for AGK2 as it is anyway.

I think also that AGK2 is good to learn C++ also because you can create some code in AGK2 then cut and paste to C++ and convert each line to C++, this doesn't need a great deal of work to change the code and I found it pretty straight forward doing this way. This will be where to go once you have gained experience with the Basic version of AGK2 though.

The good thing about the above book though is that it is about games and therefore interesting as some books are too BASIC and boring if you know what I mean.

Attached is a doc file tutorial for explaining loops / while / for next etc.
These is very basic examples and were written for DarkBasicPro but they can be converted to AGK2 and are easy to understand. They will give you an idea but again the above book is good.

Also I find these forums and the people on here are very helpful if you get stuck and someone will always reply to a plea for help with code that doesn't work.

Happy coding

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:37:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:37:38