Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Alistair Stewart and the book: Hands On AGK BASIC 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 21:32
Hi all.

Bit of a background;

I literally know nothing about coding, and programming in general, but i wanted to change all that.

I had never heard of AppGameKit, and it wasn't until i noticed AGK2 selling on stream that i started to do some research.

I wanted to actually do coding, rather than have a program do it for you - I believe construct2 does that, all though i was tempted at first.

So i bought AGK2 as it came on sale, and after loading it up for the first time, looked blankly at the white screen. Unsure how or where to get started.

I sent an E-mail to thegamecreators support, asking for advice, and i was pointed to your book, AGK2.

I'm now on the final chapter - making your own game, spot the difference.... And this brings me to the meaning of this post.

Can i just say, a HUGE freaking thankyou. Not once, when reading, and trying out the activities within the book, had i thought to myself; "I wish this had been explained in greater detail". I'm amazed at what i can already do. Sometimes i'd be reading, and rather than follow your activities, i'd have a brain wave, and off i'd go lol. Then i'd realise i'd been coding for half the day, and wondered where it had gone!.

The amount of info for a newbie, in those 8 chapters is staggering. I've learnt so much - Long way to go mind - and just had to make this post to say thank you.

So thank you!

Now onto that last chapter!

Khadin
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2015 03:29
Welcome to the community and the fun!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2015 04:59
Quote: "Then i'd realise i'd been coding for half the day, and wondered where it had gone!"

lol Hooked!

Welcome to the wondrous adventure of programming my friend!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2015 10:06
@Khadin I'm glad you are enjoying the book and if I can help you with any aspect of it please feel free to get in touch.

You are right in thinking that there is a long way to go. Those eight chapters only make a slight scratch in the surface of all the things you can do with AppGameKit, but it will be an enjoyable journey.

And it's always nice to have another member of the programming fraternity (all you need to do now is learn the secret handshake ).
Khadin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2015 18:09
Secret handshake hey

Thanks for the welcome guys

I've finished the chapter, so i'm just altering the code here and there to produce different results.

You'll have to finish the book so i can pick it up!

Khadin
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2015 20:37
Quote: "I've finished the chapter, so i'm just altering the code here and there to produce different results."

Best way to learn...Remember not to just copy and paste but read and rewrite it yourself so it sticks forever.

Welcome to the Community! AppGameKit is awesome!
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2015 13:27
The free chapters have now been updated to include using the debugger (in chapter 6). You'll find a link to the PDF file at www.digital-skills.co.uk
Khadin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2015 16:06
Hi AlistairS.

Do you have a time frame for when the book will be finished?

Thanks.

Khadin
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2015 16:22
@Khadin

I'm afraid it will be some time yet. The next edition will be in two volumes and I expect it to be about 1500 pages in length. I am hoping the first volume will be complete long before the end of this year. So far I'm past the 600 page mark but I have other projects I need to complete this year.
Paul71
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any way you can release at least parts of the book early to those of us that purchased the AppGameKit hands on edition? Is there a link to the chapters that you provided to Khadin?

After all, the product has been out for some time and there is no 100% trustworthy documentation out there that a new developer can refer to. This isn't like Java, where there are hundreds of books and millions of users out there if you're trying to figure something out; for AGK2, your documentation is pretty much it.

I have some experience as a programmer. AGK2 doesn't look too hard to use so far. But it is vexing to try and pick up this language when the only reference book available is telling me things that are wrong in the current release.

It took me a while to figure out how mod works in AGK2. Things aren't laid out where the book says they're laid out. And I'm in a position where I'm learning and thinking, does this look wrong because I did it wrong, or because the book is telling me to do something wrong? I'm on here looking for an answer to just such a question now, in fact.

Obviously buying the AGK2 book isn't a problem for me. I've already bought one book. But I've got to have documentation that I can count on. I think this is a big-turn off to people who aren't coming from your earlier releases.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 12:58
@Paul71

I assume you have visited our website (www.digital-skills.co.uk)and downloaded the first eight chapters of the new version of the book.

The plan was to offer the next edition in two volumes (since it will be much larger) and charge existing buyers 9.00GBP for the upgrade (4.50GBP per volume). However, if you'd like to pay the 4.50GBP now, I can send you the new volume 1 chapter-by-chapter as they are finalised but I can't make any promises on a time scale for completion.
Paul71
Years of Service
User Offline
I do have that, thanks. I'm perusing it now.

I'd be perfectly willing to pay now and get the installment as you finish. And I don't want to be an exception. I think there are surely a few users who are new to this environment who would like that deal and would take it if it were offered somewhere on the site or via Steam as an early release (I don't know much about how Steam works from your end).

IMO it would have been better if you'd have put out a 200 page 'Learn AGK2 in 24 hours' type of book for newcomers that could have been released quickly. Then a separate, giant reference book that explains what each command does for experienced users who want all of the details.

For example, a new user probably is good enough if they are capable of programming something like 'Pong' or 'Frogger' at the end of their first book. I'd have been happy with that. They don't need to learn things like setRandomSeed or the different iterations of Timer until they're more experienced and looking to do something specific.

And from your perspective, a 1400 page book is an enormous task that can't be completed quickly no matter how hard you work. With the only available book being that large, AGK2 will be halfway through its lifecycle before there is actually full documentation on it.

That's just my two cents for AGK3, perhaps. But for now, if you don't mind making the new chapters available in this manner, just let me know the details and I'll send you the money in advance.

Thanks for your help.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2015 09:59
@Paul71

As it turns out, I am creating a cut-down version of the full book which will be called Computer Programming for School Teachers which is, as the title suggests, aimed at school teachers wishing to get enough background info on programming (using AGK) to feel confident enough to teach basic programming ideas to their pupils (even if it's not using AGK). But the book may also be of interest to others starting out on AGK2 BASIC. That book should be available within the next couple of months.

I am going to add an option to buy the Hands On AppGameKit 2 BASIC chapters to my website today, but I will need anyone selecting that option to give the details of their original book purchase when sending the payment.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2015 15:26
The option to buy the updated book as each chapter is created is now available at www.digital-skills.co.uk.
Paul71
Years of Service
User Offline
Just purchased it.

Thanks for being flexible. I'm looking forward to getting into this. Hopefully this option will help out some other new users too.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2015 09:58
For those of you who have upgraded to the "live" version of the second edition of the book (downloading the book as it is being written), the next two chapters are now available. That's 15 chapters so far (521 pages). Details of how to download the latest version will be emailed to you shortly.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2015 12:54
Yet another update to the "live" version of the Hands On AGK2 BASIC book - volume 1. The next two chapters are now available. That's 17 chapters so far (588 pages).

The new chapters include a general program template that can be used when creating most programs, controlling sprite movement, adding sound effects and the first stages of three games: CatchACrab, BrickBat (Brickout-type game) and Meteors (Asteroids-type game).

Details of how to download the latest version will be emailed to those of you who have purchased this option shortly.
Khadin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2015 22:33
Hey AlistairS.

Been a way for a while whilst i wait for you to release your book Is there any option to buy the new book chapter by chapter straight up, or is the only way currently to buy the first addition, and then to upgrade for the additional £4.50.

Khadin
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 10:03
@Khadin
At the moment the only option is to pay the 4.50GBP after having bought the original book. But even if you buy the original book now,
it won't end up costing you any more than for the two new volumes when they are complete(16.50GBP for the original book + 4.50GBP upgrade volume 1 + 4.50GBP upgrade volume 2 or New book - when its completed - volumes 1 and 2 25.50GBP).
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2015 09:48
Another two chapters are available for the Hands On AGK2 BASIC book. These cover sprite animation and two complete game examples.

Purchasers of the "live" option will be emailed shortly with download details.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2015 11:45
A few additions have been made to parts of the first eight chapters of the forthcoming Hands On AGK2 BASIC book. You can download the latest version of these chapters for free from www.digital-skills.co.uk.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2015 10:47
The final version of Hands On AGK2 BASIC Volume 1 is now available (www.digital-skills.co.uk)
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2015 23:26 Edited at: 15th Oct 2015 23:30
Great news Alistair.

Will this book be available in printed format?
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 16:21
@Rickynzx I'm afraid there are no plans for a printed version since AppGameKit is still subject to frequent updating some of which will, no doubt, have to be added to Volume 1. This would make a printed book out of date very quickly. On the other hand, it is easy enough to update an ebook.
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 23:10 Edited at: 17th Oct 2015 23:10
Thats fair enough

I can see that it would be easier to change and add things.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2015 10:12
Please note that the "Official" AGK2 books available on Steam are re-titled copies of Hands On AGK2 BASIC. The Beginner's Guide is the first 19 chapters (600+ pages); the User Guide is the full 25 chapters (900+ pages)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:58:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:58:52