Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Image \ Sprite Created From Memblock Is Corrupted.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi AppGameKit users,

Whilst following along with the examples in chapter 24 of "Hands On AppGameKit BASIC" which deals with memblocks, I wrote the following short piece of code, it compiles OK and I was expecting to see a randomly coloured pixel in the top left-hand corner of the image. However, what I'm actually seeing is a black and white image that appears to be corrupted with random data. I have attached a screenshot for clarification.

Even if I comment out all the SetMemblockByte commands I still get the corrupted image so I'm guessing it must be something simple that I'm overlooking and and no doubt I'll feel like kicking myself when I see what the answer is.

Using memblocks reminds me of using POKE and PEEK many years ago on my 48K ZX Spectrum !!!

Thanks for reading.

[ Coding In BASIC using AppGameKit V2 ]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2015 22:15
I've had this issue before, it seems that if the memblock gets too big then it fills up with junk values.

When I ran you code but had the width and height set to 10 there was no problem with the image. Obviously this isn't a solution but hopefully give some background.

What I did was set all the pixel values - red, green, blue and alpha - to zero then filled the memblock with the values I wanted. This can be done with a for-to-next loop, which I've added to your function.

Hope this helps.

Dead Pixel
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, 29 games - Your fix has solved the problem for me. Nice one !!!

This is probably considered bad practice generally, but
s_Id = CreateSprite(CreateImageFromMemblock(Create_Memblock())) compiles and runs without any problem as does the following - SetSpritePosition(CreateSprite(CreateImageFromMemblock(Create_Memblock())), 50, 50)

Both work, but you'd need to place the commands outside your do.....loop, otherwise you'll be creating new sprites continously.

//******************************
// Coding In BASIC using AppGameKit V2
//******************************

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:04:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:04:36