Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / chrome install, system level changed to user level? huh?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 00:58 Edited at: 9th Mar 2015 01:16
I launched Chrome and this message popped up. I haven't installed or updated anything recently, so I'm just a tad bit confused.

Ugh, is there a way to NOT have my freakin browser sync everything with a stupid google account? Apparently my extensions now only show up if I'm logged into google....

Well it looks like chrome decided to do itself a silent update in the background without my approval, again. Despite how many times I tell it to not auto-update.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2015 01:18
Quote: "I launched Chrome and this message popped up. I haven't installed or updated anything recently, so I'm just a tad bit confused."

It does this sometimes. I believe it's to do with updates being applied automatically (because Chrome updates itself silently).

Quote: "Ugh, is there a way to NOT have my freakin browser sync everything with a stupid google account?"

Yes. Go Settings Button > Settings > Advanced Sync Settings.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 19:01
Quote: "Well it looks like chrome decided to do itself a silent update in the background without my approval, again. Despite how many times I tell it to not auto-update."

Might I recommend a browser not owned and operated by a gigantic mega advertising corporation? Firefox gets better every month.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 20:25
Im pretty torn between using FF and chrome because none of them work that well for me. I usually keep a ton of tabs open and chrome using a single process per tab uses a ton of RAM. FF on the other hand has some tabs that use a ton of CPU and there is no easy way to find what tab is causing it.

Chrome is also a bit better at playing youtube videos because it can play them at all qualities. But, chrome seems to be dumbed down quite a lot, the settings are minimal and it's a lot harder to customise. And not being controlled by google is a bonus, even though I don't personally fear them (right now)

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 20:27 Edited at: 11th Mar 2015 20:27
Quote: "because it can play them at all qualities"

After youtube implemented 1080p 60fps video I found I needed to install adobe flash in order to watch those videos. Haven't tried any of the 4k stuff I don't have a 4k monitor

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 20:27
Firefox is moving to a multiprocess model, so if that is really important to you, try moving to the Nightly build where multiprocess is enabled and running.

You might even get 64-bit Firefox as a bonus.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 20:30
Quote: "After youtube implemented 1080p 60fps video I found I needed to install adobe flash in order to watch those videos. Haven't tried any of the 4k stuff I don't have a 4k monitor
"

I didn't know flash supported 1080p 60fps. Allthough I prefer not being able to play 1080p over using flash.

Quote: "Firefox is moving to a multiprocess model, so if that is really important to you, try moving to the Nightly build where multiprocess is enabled and running."

I have noticed it running at 45-50% cpu instead of the usual 25% (1 core) but that's not really what I want. The browser performance itself is fine but I don't want a background tab ocupying one core while in the background

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 20:51
Quote: " I have noticed it running at 45-50% cpu instead of the usual 25% (1 core) but that's not really what I want. The browser performance itself is fine but I don't want a background tab ocupying one core while in the background"

That's probably Flash or some other plugin. How many tabs are we talking here? Are you running an adblocker?

And stable Firefox is not currently multiprocess so you shouldn't be seeing any CPU spikes comparatively. And there's nothing Firefox can do to stop Java and Flash plugins to use CPU. What's your CPU?

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 21:07
It's a i5 4770k OC'd to 4.4 ghz so performance in itself shouldn't be an issue (I think). I think flash has some part in it because a pages with a lot of flash ads seem to slow the browser down a lot.

But flash seems to atleast partially run in a separate process because there is one called "plugin container" which is in /usr/lib/firefox/ and /usr/lib/libflashplayer.so. Right now FF is using ~25% cpu with 3 windows open and 13 tabs in total.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2015 23:14
Try running an adblocker and see if that helps your performance.

Here's the one I use: uBlock

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 00:41
Quote: "Might I recommend a browser not owned and operated by a gigantic mega advertising corporation?"

What on earth is wrong with Google? Google FTW!

Chrome master race.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 01:55
Quote: " What on earth is wrong with Google? Google FTW!"

Google does good things, but they hold a lot of power because of all the information they have. And they are an advertising company. That means they can/do sell your data to companies.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 18:13
I've been using Comodo more and more lately. It's basically Chrome without the google-specific stuff. And it actually has been more stable.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2015 06:34 Edited at: 14th Mar 2015 06:37
Quote: "but they hold a lot of power because of all the information they have. And they are an advertising company. That means they can/do sell your data to companies."

I've never seen them abuse that power, however, and virtually every company sells data. That's nothing special.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2015 09:48
Quote: "I've never seen them abuse that power, however, and virtually every company sells data. That's nothing special."

Quote: "Ugh, is there a way to NOT have my freakin browser sync everything with a stupid google account? "

Sounds pretty controlling and an abuse of power to me.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2015 11:34
The way I look at google with their private information is that sure, they controll it but atleast we get to take advantage of it and you can turn of most of it if you want. The browser sync was what made me stay on chrome for as long as I did because I liked having my history synced between my desktop, laptop, school computer and phone.

They track your location, but atleast you can see that history at https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0. They read through your email but they also categorise it and, atleast in some cases help you find usefull information in there for google now (I have seen examples of it finding information about your flights or packages).

And all (that we know) they really do with the data in the end is give you targeted ads, and I prefer seing ads about multicopters because I have searched a lot for them than seeing ads about shampoo because someone a lot of people are really interested in beautiful hair. It is a bit scary but at the moment, I trust google with the data.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2015 12:59
Quote: "Sounds pretty controlling and an abuse of power to me."

That's just due to your own ignorance. You're assuming that there is no way to disable the syncing, when in fact it's an easily accessible and clearly displayed setting (not only that, it's the very first setting in the list). Definitely not controlling at all

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2015 20:11
If you want to talk about programs that update without your choice, talk about Spotify. Gah, they don't update unless you restart the program, to be fair, but I still don't think they give you any option not to update. So when Spotify just updated a few days ago, the UI got screwed up, and now I can no longer access the settings panel of a plugin I am using. Pft!

"Sorry, you can redo your sig...Stupid Mod pressed the wrong button." - JLJupiterCat
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2015 20:46
Quote: "That's just due to your own ignorance. You're assuming that there is no way to disable the syncing, when in fact it's an easily accessible and clearly displayed setting (not only that, it's the very first setting in the list). Definitely not controlling at all"

The feature being opt-out rather than opt-in is quite telling.

Quote: "I've never seen them abuse that power, however, and virtually every company sells data. That's nothing special."

For a long while Google would put its products ahead of others in its search results and always on the first page. They got in a lot of hot water over that one.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2015 22:49
Syncing plugins to account seems like something most users would want though... But I do agree that opt in is usually a lot better than opt out

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Gah, I thought we liked Google.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 00:09
They're ok. I'm just wary at the amount of power they wield.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 01:16
Quote: "The feature being opt-out rather than opt-in is quite telling."

Actually it's very much opt-in. You have to voluntarily sign into Chrome, and then you are presented with the choice of whether to sync everything or not. It's not forced on anyone, not even slightly.

Quote: "Gah, I thought we liked Google."

I do.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 03:56
I didn't know that. I haven't used Chrome in years. Guess I should do my research a bit better, huh?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 04:16
Quote: "Guess I should do my research a bit better, huh?"

Only if you want to be right

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:06:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:06:58