Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Gladiator Quest : Road to Rome

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 16:58
Yet another WIP, but here is what I have been up to since getting my hands on the sprite tools...

Gladiator Quest : Road to Rome

The first mobile installment to the Gladiator Quest brand. Gladiator Quest is the journey of a few brave souls that long to achieve success in the ultimate arena, the Colosseum in Rome. Offering fame and fortune to some, the Colosseum also offers an end to the lives of many who venture there.

In this first installment, our heroes begin the journey to their fate, which is a road to Rome, in an ancient time when legends and myths collide. Choose one of 3 default characters to embark on your journey, and unlock other characters along the way as you defy those who stand in the way of fulfilling your destiny. Through the sands of ancient Egypt, to the uncharted caverns of Earth's oldest mountains, through the dark forests, open valleys, and finally to Rome, our adventurers find danger in every corner of their world.

Anyway, the thought is a single/multiplayer co-op for 1 to 3 players with the game ending at the arrival to the Colosseum.

The second installment to Gladiator Quest will be multiplayer up to 128 people which will allow you to battle it out for fame and glory in the Colosseum as any one of the characters that you unlocked in the first installment.

I have more elaborate plans for a full fledged RPG with slave/master classes and deeds for house placement and storage containers for stacked items and all that, but opted to start with a simple slasher first and see where it goes.

This will be a side scrolling beat 'em up, like retro 'Street Fighter' style games, only it's a slasher and may have some vertical scrolling too for the caverns.

So far, I have been hashing out map details and working on the sprite sheets for the characters...

Default Characters (from FPSC MP42)

Assassin - Female

Barbarian - Male

Guard - Male

Locked Characters (from FPSC MPs 17, 18, 21, 42)

Anubis

Giza Guard

Isus Warrior (renamed Evil Warrior)

Necromancer (Renamed Wizard)

Pharaoh (renamed Pharoh) to the world

... with the others still to come.
I am attaching the videos of the sprite sheets separately instead of in a zip in case you just want to see one and not all of them...

Here is the Pharaoh...

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 17:00
Assassin... (see attached)

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 17:01
Barbarian...

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 17:06
Anubis...

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 17:07
Guard...

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 17:10
Evil Warrior...

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 17:11
Wizard...

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2015 17:14
Giza Guard...

Attachments

Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Great looking sprite sheets and animations. Will the backdrops/levels be rendered in the same style? What platforms are you going to target? Looks great so far

www.polaraul.com
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2015 13:05 Edited at: 15th Mar 2015 14:23
Quote: "Great looking sprite sheets and animations."

Thanks, but the guys who made those model packs (Mark Blosser, and Jon Fletcher) should get all the credit for the animations.

Quote: "Will the backdrops/levels be rendered in the same style? "

Yeah, but right now I am using cartoon style (my art) for place holders while I get the code worked out.
I am going to use FPSC Reloaded to create some backdrops for this to take advantage of all the lighting and other features it offers for eye candy.
I will be using more models from FPSC for props and vegetation too, but they will mostly be static instead of animated to save memory.

Quote: "What platforms are you going to target?"

Android for the first installment.
If that does well, then I may go ahead and deal with the devil and release it for iCrap too. (but I know they will reject it!)

Installment 2 may see Ouya via Kickstarter, but I have not ventured into any realms other than Android so far, so that is a big if-then.

Quote: " Looks great so far "

Thanks

Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting concept, and looking forward to seeing how the art style works with the background.

I'm curious though as to why Apple would reject your app. I have so far only used AppGameKit for Android, and have no idea how the IOS market works.

Looking really good though

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 14:26
Quote: "looking forward to seeing how the art style works with the background. "

Here is a peek of the side scrolling mechanics so far...
The first look is cartoon style because I had that scroll level set up already for another game.
The second look is just the ground scrolling as the sky, clouds, and other elements have not been added yet.
The question of "your favorite song" hit me the other day, and while I love music too much to have a favorite song, here is one that I am quite fond of...

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2015 18:10
Hey CE this looks like a great WIP.
Love the 3d gfx style, works well. Would work good as a Double Dragon style beat em up, I used to love that game

You want to start putting some WIP pics and clips up on twitter regarding this as it has lots of potential, I will retweet for you.

Great work!

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2019-09-17 09:14:55
Your offset time is: 2019-09-17 09:14:55