Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Why is there no discrete cosine transform implementation for model files like JPEG ones?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Topic

XXX
Programmer X
Years of Service
User Offline
It would probably have to use the JPEG file format.

XXX
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 14:33
Elaborate a little more. You're assuming we know everything there is to know about jpeg and how all of the various compression algorithms are implemented.

Need help with C/C++ game dev? PM me or add me on skype: the__comet.
Current active project: Light Ship
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 15:00
I would wager that it's because a lossy compression algorithm is the very very last thing you want with 3D model data.

I am the one who knocks...
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 15:01 Edited at: 16th Mar 2015 15:07
Quote: "Topic"

Oh, I see. Rather than provide us with more detailed and relevant information, you put your entire question into the subject line? That's a great way to ensure informative and insightful responses!

Quote: "It would probably have to use the JPEG file format."

If I knew more, I'd know if this image is a relevant response or not:
EDIT: Image won't link, and VanB's response sounds like common sense. Why would you want lossy compression for a model?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 19:48
Quote: "It would probably have to use the JPEG file format."

What is "it"?