Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Can anyone help me with questions about GameGuru compared to FPS Creator classic?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Last week as I was browsing through the forums I clicked on the link for GameGuru. The information was impressive as well as the videos. I even went to YouTube to look for videos about GameGuru. What I found was informative and fun to watch. I even went to the GameGuru community forum. Sadly, questions I have about GameGuru were not answered through the fore mentioned venues.

My questions are:

They say now you can make huge levels with GameGuru. As you are well aware, the limitations to levels with FPS classic are 40 squares by 40 squares (up five and down five), with a virtual memory cap of 180 GB. My question is how does GameGuru differ from the fore mentioned limitations that FPS Creator classic has?

I am not complaining about the limitations of the level size of FPS Creator classic has. However, with the exception that it is difficult to make an outdoor level using the entire 40 squares by 40 squares.

My next question is, can I populate indoor and outdoor levels with more entities then I can with FPS classic creator?

My next question is can the skybox or its equivalent be changed from one level to the next?

My next question is can GameGuru be installed on a machine that has FPS Creator classic already installed on it without either application corrupting the other?

When I went to the ordering page I was given three options.

Option one was, Buy Game Guru on Steam $19.99
The description was, Have you always dreamed of making a game but have no wish to delve into the mystical realms of programming or 3D art creation? GameGuru allows you to fulfill your dreams in a non technical, fun and extremely easy to share way. Create games that you can literally play with others in minutes.

Option two was, Buy Game Guru - 2 Pack on Steam $29.99
The description was, Have you always dreamed of making a game but have no wish to delve into the mystical realms of programming or 3D art creation? GameGuru allows you to fulfill your dreams in a non technical, fun and extremely easy to share way. Create games that you can literally play with others in minutes.

Option three was, Buy Game Guru - 4 Pack on Steam $49.99

There was no option to purchase Game Guru - 3 Pack on Steam.

All the available options has the same descriptions. Does anyone have any information what the differences are from the various options and why there is no GameGuru - 3 Pack.

My last question, is GameGuru the non-beta version of FPS reloaded?

I was unable to navigate through the GameGuru community forum to search for the answers to my questions. The community forum for GameGuru was incomprehensible due to either poor quality in design or my browser was unable to correctly read the HTML code for the design parameters of that forum.

From what I’ve seen from the YouTube videos produced by GameGuru and enthusiast GameGuru in my opinion will become a Premier game creation application. However, I do not want to part with FPS Creator classic. I have spent hundreds of hours in enjoyment creating games with FPS classic and to get rid of it would be like disowning a beloved family member. I would like to add GameGuru to my game creation toys. However, I am concerned about the possible issue of GameGuru and FPS Creator classic corrupting each other. And the lack of information of the various versions of GameGuru.

Should anyone who reads this post who has any answers to my questions please reply. The information you provide will be appreciated. I thank you for reading this post.
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah from watching the trailer on Steam I can all but CONFIRM that is FPSC Reloaded, rebranded. Same UI, same features, same editor etc etc

Shame my pc isnt beefy enough to run reloaded (2x2.5ghz,2gb ram, 512mb nvidia gpu not great granted but it runs fpsc with 30-40fps) and IMO the games dont look THAT much better than those made with fpsc classic, I like the terrain editing features and things like that but Fpsc classic at least runs for me at a decent frame rate and im knee deep in a game that is actually starting to look really good, even in classic, I'd stick with X9 unless you got a pretty good rig.

smoke em if you got em
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 12:49 Edited at: 17th Mar 2015 12:55
I know FPS Creator inside out , I know most of the history behind FPS Creator Reloaded/Game Guru (yes it's the same engine) and I have spent 25+ hours into trying GG out - so I'll try to answer your questions as best and objective as I can.

Quote: "
They say now you can make huge levels with GameGuru. As you are well aware, the limitations to levels with FPS classic are 40 squares by 40 squares (up five and down five), with a virtual memory cap of 180 GB. My question is how does GameGuru differ from the fore mentioned limitations that FPS Creator classic has?"

That's something where GG excels compared to FPSC. You can indeed create outdoor levels that are large enough for any kind of games, afaik it's 512 by 512 squares.

Quote: "My next question is, can I populate indoor and outdoor levels with more entities then I can with FPS classic creator?"

Definitely. Performance is always an issue (with every game and editor) but at least you can easily put 50+ characters on the map without crashing the engine. You won't be able to spawn too much at the same time without affecting performance as well as character animations but it's still a big improvement over FPSC.

Quote: "My next question is can the skybox or its equivalent be changed from one level to the next?"
Yes you can. Compared to the abundance of skyboxes that where created for FPSC, GG is far behind but the engine makes up for it with lightmapping tools that let you create any ambience with ease (and a little practice).

Quote: "All the available options has the same descriptions. Does anyone have any information what the differences are from the various options and why there is no GameGuru - 3 Pack."

There is no difference in the content, you are getting additional steam keys to give to your friends (or fellow developers). If you want to play multi-player maps with your friends they'll need GG as well, otherwise I see no need for additional copies.

Quote: "My next question is can GameGuru be installed on a machine that has FPS Creator classic already installed on it without either application corrupting the other?"

I never had any problems after installing GG on the same PC as FPSC. Just don't try to run both at the same time.

So is Game Guru worth buying?

Personally, as an FPSC addict I knew I had to try it out sooner or later so I bought it on the Steam release day. But I was overall very disappointed for various reasons and went back to FPSC. However I already converted a lot of GG models and textures for FPSC, so I don't regret having spent 14.99.

I hope my answer helped a bit.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 17:37
I have to agree with most of what The Storyteller 01 said as I must also defer to his more extensive use of both versions really. Just understand that a lot of what you are reading, even what is being called features, has not been implemented or has but is not yet up to par. Also understand that while the world is indeed much bigger in GameGuru, how much of it you can use remains to be seen and is system dependent.

I would also add that for the STEAM price, you really can't go wrong. I wish I hadn't known about RELOADED before it became GameGuru and went to STEAM.

The Storyteller 01.... check your mail

Brian.

At some point... you run out of Kool-Aid.
All Downloads are now HERE
bossisly
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to replying to my post. The information that you have provided has been very helpful.

I wish everyone my best regards

PS

Sinister Spoon I wish you the best of success on your current game project.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 02:56:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 02:56:09