Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Tweaking Post effect .fx files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2015 19:28 Edited at: 16th Mar 2015 23:22
Hi.

I got a cartoon look for my game which I achieved through thick lines and simple colours textured into the models, when lit properly with the right shaders it looks good.

But I been experimenting with post effects and really like the blurring on the surreal one.

Heres a normal shot of the level.

Heres how awesome it looks with the surreal post fx applied

What I want to do is maybe intensify the effects, bring the darker colours out more so the blacks pop and blur the lightmap shadows even further as the lightmapping seems to make the level look...grubby? its weird

But basically can anyone give me a breakdown of this particular fx file, point out what values I can tweak and a rough explanation of what they do? I dont want to go poking around till I know what its safe to poke

smoke em if you got em
wizardious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 04:39
Might be worth checking this out. Not really sure, as shaders are beyond my realm of knowledge, but it looks like you might be able to edit shaders with minimal coding experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRUpvZuzx0

https://developer.nvidia.com/fx-composer
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 17:13
Sinister Spoon
That looks totally awesome! Great work
The best cartoon shader I found (IMO) is from Nomad Mod.
It seemed to have crisp clean lines. Your basic texture colors
stand out nicely. If you really need the colors to "pop out"
more, I was thinking you could add an "illumination" type shader
to your entities? That might work?

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Sinister Spoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys!

I will check those out, nomad mod might be out of the question as EVERY mod ive ever tried just crashes out fpsc, so I only ever use official updates, which end up including the best parts of the mods eventually.

Tell me more of this illumination shader, currently Im using bond1's static shader for the static objects and phong bump specular for the dynamic.

I tried illument but I dont think ive set up my textures properly, the only ones I could find info on to make were S, N and D Nothing on how to make I or any others I may need

For S I just desaturate and then for N i just normal map the desaturated image. Is that correct?

And any pointers for making an I map?

smoke em if you got em
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2015 18:48 Edited at: 17th Mar 2015 18:49
Sinister Spoon
The "illumination" shaders are easy. If you look into your effects
folder you will find two named "illuminationent"(for dynamic entities) and one "illuminationmap"(for static entities) There are
a second set of these shaders in the ps_2_0 folder(they are updated shaders,newer versions) Here is the instructions for illumination..

Take a look at one of the "lamps or lights" in the ww2 folder.
Navigate in the texture folder till you find it. There are only two
textures. D2.dds & I.dds The I.dds is for the illumination.
Take any prefab, add a ww2 light to a wall, add illuminationmap(static) shader. With no lights it will glow in the dark.

Quote: "For S I just desaturate and then for N i just normal map the desaturated image. Is that correct? "

Pretty much, yes. But the "specular" map is very important
if you want a really good look on your entity. Here are two links
that will help a lot! First from "Bootlicker"
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=187966&b=24
Second from Bond1, watch when he goes into detail on the specular map. It's important if you want your model textures to stand out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gqp4bNJ52M

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 18:13
Hey! You mentioned that Nomad Mod is a mod like most of the source code modifications. In reality it is a shader modification with integrated dynamic lightning. It includes more and improvised shaders to make your games look preetier. It also has a cellshading postFX shader and the mod itself is very worthy of checking out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 13:39:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 13:39:31