Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / System requirements and "law"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 21:51 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 21:56
Hey all,
I have Battlefield 4 and it is crashing at various random points in game, has been from the day I bought it and I have tried pretty much everything I can to ensure my system is not at fault. It meets minimum requirements, have even gone through clean OS install among many other things and no matter what it will crash. I have made posts on both the BF4 and EA sites but had zero response most likely as there is no solution. My reason for posting is this - what are the laws on the sale of a software product when it comes to minimum system requirements when said product does not work on a system that meets the minimum system requirements? I have read a few posts for example where EA have refused refund due to the user having several hundred hours of game play(like me) - even though we are sat here waiting for fixes in hope the next patch(which are months apart) will fix our issues. Surely they cannot state minimum specs then the thing doesn't work with minimum specs. I bought a graphics card after reading the specs on the box in ASDA and bought the card specifically for this game as having read the requirements the rest of my system matched the minimum specs. Obviously it takes a lot of game time to test whether the game and every change made to the system software for possible fixes - is working, now I am just at the point of throttling the first EA employee I come across, well ok I am not about to do that but still I would like to know what can be done about this, not just for me, but for the many many users who have been duped by this. Am I to no longer trust minimum specs for a game - in essence should I just not risk my money any longer on games purely because companies cannot be held accountable for what I perceive as misleading information and therefore false advertising? Is a software product governed by the laws of the nation its being sold from? I am angry and confused I must admit, but I have had the game since last summer and to me it should still be in beta phase, even if you ignored the issue I mentioned, not much works as intended, can never trust kill cards to tell you the truth, the kill log doesnt always tell you how you were killed so can't really trust that either, not being given reason from servers for kicks(we rent our own so we know when its an auto kick as opposed to admin kicking for a valid reason), major drops in frame rate all of a sudden, loss of and corrupt sounds, "in combat" spawn cam failing, the list goes on and on and on...anyway here are my system specs should anyone be interested enough to see

xfx 680i lt mobo
core 2 quad q6600@2.4GHz
4Gb RAM
750 GTX graphics 1Gb VRAM
using an HDD not an SSD(if I bought an SSD there is no guarantee this will make a difference)
Win7pro 64 bit SP1
*latest direct x
*latest vc redists
*punkbuster fully updated
*also tried port forwarding and switching virgins superhub2 router into modem mode
*tried all the profile removals, ensured control panel settings for nvidia are correct, tested all the .cfg file commands
and of course here is the official requirements:
http://www.battlefield.com/uk/battlefield-4/pc

For the record single player works just fine, no errors whatsoever on medium quality, multi-player however throws the crashes whether I'm on a full or empty server with the lowest possible settings available, yeap I did say on an empty server!! The crashes are the only consistent thing about this product since day 1, its very frustrating indeed, especially if you like to play large ticket games because when you rejoin of course you lose any progress on your stats.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 21:54
It's going to depend on where you live. You're probably subject to the eula and have no recourse.

My recommendation, never buy from EA. They churn out crap nowadays.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 21:58 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 22:02
Quote: "what are the laws on the sale of a software product when it comes to minimum system requirements"

I am sorry, dude, but you are wrong.

The amount of PC hardware and software combinations is significiantly high, so the EULA is always has a part like "we don't guarantee the work of our software", and that is fair.

If you want games with no sys reqs then buy a console. Sad but true.

P.S. FYI, not only the GFX drivers can cause the problem, but even MB firmware (encountered fact).

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 21:59
I am in the UK. EA are not getting a penny from me ever again, the only reason I have BF4 preium upgrade was because I managed to get a free key. Am sorely disappointed with this being BF franchise though, BF2 was a favourite for me
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 22:03
MrHandy I hope thats not true, tbh Im not that interested in the money just at a point now where I want to hit back at EA somehow. If that is true though then I suppose in the years to come reputation will be how we decide who gets our money but then again we sort of do that now dont we? In which case with no laws backing us up then whats to stop every software company doing this?
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 22:08
FYI, there were fun feedback messages for Far Cry 4 on Steam. The game refuses to run if you don't have a 4-core CPU, so many guys "enjoyed" black screen, one guy did it for hours.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 04:13
Lol I can imagine! I knew mine was "fake" quad ie 2 dual cores so wasn't gonna risk getting farcry anyway. I can see now that in future I should not buy any game that has promises of fixes which would mean waiting beyond the length of time they give for returns, as well as avoid EA products like the plague!!
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Your CPU is a true quad-core.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 04:39
Quote: " I knew mine was "fake" quad ie 2 dual cores"
Lol, not sure I have heard of that before. Pretty sure it's just four cores.

I had a triple core processor once. Probably a quad core that either one core failed or deactivated, and sold as a triple core.

"Sorry, you can redo your sig...Stupid Mod pressed the wrong button." - JLMoonDog
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 07:35 Edited at: 20th Mar 2015 07:37
Yes and no to some degree, I put speech marks around the word fake for a reason - the core to quad series are not native cores like there AMD counterparts although they do out perform them based on benchmarks from software in use around the time the comparisons were made - bare in mind my rig must be more than 7 or 8 years old now and back then there wasn't that much support for multicore in games from what I remember. They are 2 true dual cores in 1 package, so yes there are four cores but in a 2x2 arrangement which according to architects at that time meant they were not true quad cores, true quad cores are four cores on 1 die, core 2 quads are 2 pairs of die's each with 2 native cores(my q6600 is 2xE6600's according to the guy in our local store that helped me order my stuff through scan.co.uk - which used to be a decent place to go), what that means for gaming like in the case of farcry 4 I am not certain of as the min spec details i5 as minimum, I am not up to date on newer technologies(or even older for that matter!) so I have no idea how different the architecture is or how that translates across to newer software, what I do know is that the price of that game is a lot to me as I am on sickness benefit and will take me many weeks if not months to save up for so I am not about to risk it all on something that is not clear. I was looking at Arma 3 as its slightly less than the min spec for BF4 but now I am rethinking as that could just leave me in the same position as I am in now with BF4, it would mean I would have to spend every waking hour for the first 30 days testing it as each round/match can last for very very long periods of time and if I'm not happy it works on my system then I want to return it(assuming they give 30 days for returns and assuming I can return and test within 30 days) havent much looked into it yet though.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 11:09
Quote: "Lol, not sure I have heard of that before. Pretty sure it's just four cores"

A lot of cpus have x amount of physical cores and twice as many "virtual" cores. A lot of i7 processors do this, if you look in the task manager, you will see 8 cores but in reality there are only 4.

I don't really know why you would do that since multithreading is really uncommon in most programs but I guess it must have some kind of advantage

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 11:15
Quote: " I don't really know why you would do that since multithreading is really uncommon in most programs but I guess it must have some kind of advantage"

Multithreading is common in modern games. A Q6600 is a true quad core CPU, although it's a bit lowend by modern standards. I run a Q9450 which is not top of the line but getting close when it comes to the core 2 quad line. Of course the i series CPUs blow the older core 2 series out of the water. That said, I haven't really found many games that it can't handle. I'll be interested to see how GTA5 runs on it.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 13:34
Quote: "Multithreading is common in modern games."

Please, tell this to Lee. DB can't be Pro with single core support only.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "They are 2 true dual cores in 1 package, so yes there are four cores but in a 2x2 arrangement which according to architects at that time meant they were not true quad cores"

He was wrong. This is a true quad core. The only information that I've been able to find that might suggest why he thought otherwise is that if you plugged the two separate core 2s into separate CPU slots they'd have more bandwidth. It doesn't make it any less a quad core though.

Quote: "I don't really know why you would do that since multithreading is really uncommon in most programs but I guess it must have some kind of advantage"

Call yourself a programmer, pffft. Compiling software maxes out both my physical and logical cores on the i7. Applications can be spread across multiple cores, multitasking y'know.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 19:58
First of all I never said he or she - second of all I used a plural term, as pedantic as that seems I felt I had to point that out. Its a matter of semantics, yes there are 4 physical processors but no the architecture is not true by design, core 2 technology replaces the old pentium dual cores which uses two single core dies bonded on 1 chip carrier - widely considered as a bit of a cheat, core 2 duo are true dual cores ie they are on one die on a chip carrier, core 2 quads are 2 of the already existing core 2 duo dies bonded onto 1 chip carrier, so no we are not talking about 2 separate dual cores in 2 different sockets on the motherboard. The phenom series however are 4 cores on 1 die put onto a chip carrier. Take the casing or IHS(integrated heat spreader) off the core 2 quad and you will see two separate dies - not a single one. Take a look at these images and see for yourself;
Intel's Core 2 Quad
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64995&stc=1&d=1211601560
AMD's Phenom II quad core
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/1297821/16414383/0/1287992256/AMD_Phenom_II_Quad-Core_N930_HMN930CR42GM_S1g4_638_pin.jpg
Now once again my q6600 is not a true quad core, yes its a quad core and does not make it any less of a quad core(the opposite in fact as it outperforms true or native quad cores) but you might note they didn't label it a Core 4 Quad, the clue is in the way they named them, if you still think this is nonsense then ask yourself why bother call a true dual core a Core 2 Duo and not just core 2 - because they had plans to market/manufacture them in a similar fashion to the old pentium dual cores(not true dual cores which is why they named the next series Core 2 xxx(x)) for a number of reasons, its easier to bucket sort matched pairs else the processor would have to be shipped at the lowest core frequency, yield for 2 dies is better than 1 for those specific sizes, the dies are identical which means that the manufacturing lines are the same, was very quick to market by comparison so they could get a significant head start on their competitors. In addition to this have a think on why there is no Core 2 Trio even though there is a Core 2 Solo - there is also the Core 3 Trio knock-off to consider which is not intel. So it looks like we will have to beg to differ on this one I think.

As for virtual/logical cores - that's hyper threading technology which is simultaneous multi threading - for each physical cpu the OS assigns 2 logical cores and shares the load between them when possible to improve parallel processing ie multi tasking but the OS needs to support this and it will definitely not outperform a cpu which has the same number of physical cores as the number of logical cores of said HTT processor.

I would be guessing that the folk MrHandy referred to all had i5 processors that showed up as 4 cores in task manager but in fact they were dual cores with 4 logical cores or even a Phenom II x2 treated in a similar fashion?
If the min spec of farcry said 4 cores with no other limitations then yeah my machine would run it in theory if I OC'd but the min spec is i5 with 4 physical cores(they specifically name the i5-750 @ 2.6GHz) or the Phenom II x4 955@ 3.2 GHz. Besides I would be mostly interested in multiplayer and based on the fact that BF4 single player runs sweet for me but the multiplayer does not then I suppose there is every chance other games might perform with similar results. If its free I would give it a go but I'm not going to risk money that is exceptionally difficult for me to save up for. Now we are way off topic I think, not that I mind but after the first few posts I would say the topic has probably been covered? In short boycott EA products for the immediate future is all I can do as an individual. As for most of the information above - my source is a freind of a freind who I happened across this afternoon at a local cafe who teaches computer science(and was my freinds professor at university). If any of you have sharp memories you will note at one point I posted a thread and in that thread I thought the frequency of cores were added together!!!! In this post I have taken the notes I made from my chance meeting and put it into my own words, so any inconsistencies will be down to my translation and understanding of the information discussed so please feel free to point them out What are the odds I would make this thread and bump into this guy?!! Thanks to all for their input
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 20:51
Please use more paragraphs, your posts are giving me a headache.

To me it sounds like it's something network related, since you said it works perfectly fine in single player mode. Can you diagnose your network drivers to see if they are having issues?

What's the error you're getting? Does it just crash, or does it give you an error?

Does Origin keep running after the game has crashed? Does the browser give any indication on what went wrong (since you have to launch the game from within your web browser)?

Do you generally have internet issues? Long ping times?

Need help with C/C++ game dev? PM me or add me on skype: the__comet.
Current active project: Light Ship
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 21:19
Give both speedtest.net and pingtest.net a try and post the results; that will help us determine if it's connection-related.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 12:05
Battlefield 4 is notorious for using a lot of CPU power during multiplayer. What's your CPU usage during multiplayer?

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 12:16 Edited at: 21st Mar 2015 12:18
Almost every game I've ever purchased randomly crashes on every system I've had, routinely for some games/systems but more commonly only after several hours of continuous play. It doesn't seem to be EA related. I accept it as a fact of life and live with it.

Occasionally a reboot fixes the problem but some games on some systems predictably fail after a few hours of use. In some cases it's probably a simple case of something like a memory leak somewhere which is why a game might work on a newer system but fail after a few hours of use on an old machine.

Quote: " I have read a few posts for example where EA have refused refund due to the user having several hundred hours of game play(like me)"

Sounds like you can get a few hours of play before it crashes. Is that the case? If so then it's hard to see an obvious problem with your machine specs.

Edit

Quote: "Please use more paragraphs, your posts are giving me a headache."

+1