Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Your User Name Meaning

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 22:29 Edited at: 26th Mar 2015 22:30
Random thread here! We all have user names here, many of them interesting. What is the meaning or origin behind your name?

I started out with Dark Basic Dude 79 as many of you know. The "Dark Basic" part is obvious, and probably "Dude" too. That was already taken though, and the forum recommended 79, so I took that. I later decided that I no longer liked DBPro, but liked Java instead. I also didn't like 79, it being an odd number, so I had a mod change my name to "Dark Java Dude" followed by some power of 2, because powers of 2 are neat numbers. 64 it was!

So, share the origin/meaning behind your name! This thread is probably pretty silly, but every bit of forum activity helps!

"Sorry, you can redo your sig...Stupid Mod pressed the wrong button." - JLMoonDog
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 22:36
mine is the name of a character I played in the mmo dark age of Camelot. my avatar is also that character, a lurikeen nightshade. that little guy is still, 15 of so years later once of my favorite game characters of all time.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 22:52
My surname plus a cartoon I enjoyed as a child.

Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel. I am...

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 05:33
I wanted to change mine to Scorpion but that was taken so everyone suggested different things for me I think it was Mr Valentine who suggested Easter Bunny

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 05:37
Part of my Dad's old nickname (Radar) and the number 13 for the age I was when I made it up.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 06:21
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

First, you should know that my first name is Jeremy. Several of you know that because of facebook but if you didn't before, now you do.

Anyway, when I was younger, and I did something my dad thought was cool, he would say "You da man, Jer!", but with how he said it it sounded very much like "Yodaman Jer". So when I discovered DarkBASIC years later and registered on these forums, I remembered that and decided to use it as my name.

A few years later I had a mod change my name over to CoffeeCoder, because I felt I had outgrown Yodaman Jer and wanted to try something new. It also had to do with the fact I had started a blog, titled "The Coffee Coder", so I thought it was pretty clever. However, about a year passed, I never really used the blog, and people still called me Yodaman on the forums so I had someone change it back for me. I think it was BiggAdd who did it.

This username is by far my favorite, but I do use CoffeeCoder on a couple other sites.

The formatting keeps messing itself up thanks to the Apollo Forums poltergeist!
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 06:29
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 11:54
Quik came from.. well a CS Clan I was in, where one of the guys forcefully renamed me from (fire) to [Q]uik
.. Which kinda just stuck? ^^

Whose eyes are those eyes?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 14:30 Edited at: 27th Mar 2015 14:33
I was 9 and it sounded cool.

Quote: "Part of my Dad's old nickname (Radar) and the number 13 for the age I was when I made it up"

I always thought it was "Darth" in l33t-speech.

Need help with C/C++ game dev? PM me or add me on skype: the__comet.
Current active project: Light Ship
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 18:03
I was 12 or 13 and it sounded cool.

Never had any other notable nicknames, sometimes I use 2edFlames if RedFlames is taken.

Yodaman: That's interesting. So you're pretty much the Saul Goodman ("'s all good, man!") of these forums?
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 18:18
@TheComet
Nope, but I might just steal that from now on. My Dad had always gone by Dar in games(AoE 2, etc), but when we got a PS3 we came up with Dar13. I've kinda taken it over at this point.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 19:12
Quote: "Yodaman: That's interesting. So you're pretty much the Saul Goodman ("'s all good, man!") of these forums? "

It would appear that I am indeed!

The formatting keeps messing itself up thanks to the Apollo Forums poltergeist!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 19:14
Quote: "the number 13 for the age I was when I made it up."
Ah! I have always guessed that about your name.

Quote: "my mum made it"
Yes, yes she did.

"Sorry, you can redo your sig...Stupid Mod pressed the wrong button." - JLMoonDog
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 04:04
My name is Add, and I'm 6'8". I signed up originally on this forum as "BigAdd". Forgot my password so I added the extra 'g'!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 18:12
Quote: "My name is Add, and I'm 6'8""
Ah, I have always envisioned you as some average height guy with some name like "Chris". Guess not!

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 18:25
Quote: "I always thought it was "Darth" in l33t-speech."

And I've always pronounced it as Darryl for some reason...

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 20:28
Quote: " I think it was Mr Valentine who suggested Easter Bunny "

It was me.

Quote: "Part of my Dad's old nickname (Radar)"

Was your dad in MASH?

I came up with my name waaay back in the early 90s at some point. I was actually trying to remember "phalanx", from the marvel comics. Didn't quite remember it correctly and ended up with phaelax. It's stuck ever since.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2015 23:32 Edited at: 28th Mar 2015 23:32
When I first had the internetz as a kid I was looking for a good name to play online shooters. Something that would sound like a rogue mercenary...a lonesome warrior...thus came Wolf and it sticked. Even my girlfriend calls me Wolf.

-Wolf

"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!" - Rick Bamber
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2015 02:47
Quote: " Was your dad in MASH?"

I don't think so.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2015 20:00
... and I can code with my bare hands!!

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2015 20:03
Quote: "Something that would sound like a rogue mercenary...a lonesome warrior..."

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2015 01:00
I think mine has something to do with the breaking system on a locomotive or a train car... not 100% sure anymore, someone suggested it when I was creating my Xbox Live account (for the original Xbox).

Loving some of the stories you guys have – all of these haphazardly created identities, some of which have been around for quite awhile now.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 31st Mar 2015 06:01 Edited at: 31st Mar 2015 06:03
When my sons and I first started with Dark Basic Classic.
It came from the frustration from using the original help
files for DBC and the forums did not have the wealth of knowledge
they do now. I cursed Dark Basic and told them we were stabbing in the dark.
It started as a joke and actually turned into a software company.

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2015 21:33
So did I win something?

glaph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 00:09
Mine is an abbreviation of Glaphkos, one of the greek written forms of my real name.

~glaph
"No man should be free. Software should be free, as well as beer. Man should be slave to software and beer."
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 03:01 Edited at: 9th Apr 2015 03:08
Quote: "My surname plus a cartoon I enjoyed as a child.

Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel. I am..."

Oh man I haven't seen Batfink in YEARS! It used to come on just before classic Doctor Who. We loved watching both of those shows. The ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation, nothing to do with the American Broadcasting Company) did a re-run of every single classic Doctor Who episode 10 or 12 years ago.

Quote: "Yodaman: That's interesting. So you're pretty much the Saul Goodman ("'s all good, man!") of these forums?"

(yeah shutup, we just finished the last episode of Breaking Bad last night)

Quote: "Quik came from.. well a CS Clan I was in, where one of the guys forcefully renamed me from (fire) to [Q]uik"

Anyone else ever played Cube or Sauerbraten (Cube 2)? Those are awesome games, heaps of people still play Sauerbraten. My brother and I joined a clan called FEAR years ago but it appears the clan has vanished. Now it's our clan. Weirdly we get called dumb a lot for the name, but just as weirdly no one else seems to have used it for any clan anywhere! Would've thought it'd be a popular name...

Quote: "Was your dad in MASH?"

That's what I was thinking

Wow, so many awesome stories from you guys!

-------------------------------

Many years ago, when my brother and I were about 10 and 11, Dad used to occasionally browse through websites finding us free (usually old) games to play. We played many Lemmings games (including some really hard 3D ones), a 3D frogger (which I've really gotta find), some bizarre game that I can't remember the name of where you are a little blob with many vibrating legs called Egg Man or something...

Anyway, he (Dad) was scrolling through a website that doesn't exist any more, called GameHippo - it was just a freeware game website - and he happened upon an interesting-looking game called Clonk Planet. At that time Clonk Endeavour was out so Clonk Planet had become freeware. Well, it didn't take long before my brother and I were really deep in Clonk Planet. It was an awesome game. Pretty soon we discovered Golden Wipf Edition (GWE) which took the Planet source code and added a whole lot of useful features (some of which were taken from Endeavour, IIRC) like being able to press left or right (can't remember which) in a building to be able to "Get" items out, rather than... oh wow, I haven't played Clonk for so long...

So yeah, eventually I decided to convince Mum to let me unlock the developer mode and start experimenting with creating my own Objects. That led to confusion (I'd never programmed before) and so I ended up on the Clonk forums. That required that I create a username, so I had to come up with something...

...and there began the adventure of Clonkex.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 14:20
"Seppuku" is a practice that was used in feudal Japan, it's a form of suicide, basically dishonoured Samurai would slice open their belly and sometimes you might nominate somebody to then behead you. It's a little gruesome, I'll admit.

Here is a picture of Dr Zoidberg attempting to commit seppuku for you.

Why did I choose it? At the time I was very much interested in feudal Japan (still a topic I find interesting) and thought it had a cool ring to it.

Plus, it's a name that gets comments sometimes, even had one forum ask me to change my username because it might be offensive.

I spent a period of time on the forum as Musashi, named after Miyamoto Musashi, the fabled Samurai who wrote The Book of Five Rings, which is quite an interesting read and insight to Samurai culture. He also never bathed, out of fear of letting his guard down and probably reeked.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 15:31
A character from books I really enjoy. If you like fantasy, comedy and a little bit of noir you should read them all too...

www.thraxas.com
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2015 23:55
"Thraxas is a private investigator in the city of Turai. He has some sorcerous powers but mainly he just drinks a lot of beer. Consequently he's always broke and has to live in the poor part of the city. Thraxas is overweight, bad tempered, and a keen gambler at the chariot races. He doesn't make for a pretty sight."

Now we know!

-Wolf

"If the mods didn’t see it, I didn’t do it!" - Rick Bamber
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 00:03
Scraggle is the name of my cat who has sadly passed away.
He died on the day William and Kate got married (April 29th 2011) but his name and image will forever live on in my avatar.

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 05:24
Quote: "my cat who has sadly passed away."
Awww. I have two kitties who I love very much, so I can empathize.

You're currently reading a post signature on an Internet forum -- get a life!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 13:20
Quote: "Scraggle is the name of my cat who has sadly passed away.
He died on the day William and Kate got married (April 29th 2011) but his name and image will forever live on in my avatar."

Aww sorry to hear that man. We lost our cat Reubans to cancer 2 weeks ago, 'tis very sad when they go.

But good seeing you around, jeez, not seen you poke your head in for ages.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2015 02:34 Edited at: 14th Apr 2015 02:35
Quote: "A character from books I really enjoy. If you like fantasy, comedy and a little bit of noir you should read them all too..."

My doctor diagnosed me with a terrible condition which means I can't read. He calls it "fecklessness", or something like that... I wasn't really paying attention.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2015 22:00
When I was 6 my parents moved house and on the first day at my new primary school I was confronted by my classmates and asked did I want to be called "Ched" or "Cheddar". I went with the former and it's stuck for 29 years.

When I was about 10 I used to make rubbish films using my dad's camcorder. The tapes for the camcorder were 80 mins in length so I called my fantasy film company "Ched80".

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2015 18:59
Quote: "But good seeing you around, jeez, not seen you poke your head in for ages. "

Thanks, I haven't been in this neighbourhood for a while. I moved away to other pastures but AGK2 has grabbed my interest so I've been living over there recently and I'm close to releasing CryptoGlyphs, my first game on Android/iOS (shameless self plug )

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 02:59
Mine goes back to the Amiga demo days, I used to be in a few demo groups way way back and everyone had a handle, I choose SpecTre as it was ghostly and not seen.
I signed up on here originally when I got Dark Basic and used Spectre but forgot my password when I came back after a couple of years so choose spectrepaul which annoys me a little but I am called Paul lol.

I really want it to be SpecTre though

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 03:52
Quote: "I signed up on here originally when I got Dark Basic and used Spectre but forgot my password when I came back after a couple of years so choose spectrepaul which annoys me a little but I am called Paul lol."

You know you can reset passwords, right? As long as you still use the same email it'll work.

Otherwise it may be possible to have your accounts "merged" or something. Dunno, I never looked when I was a mod and that sort of thing may require database editing by TheNext himself, so I'm not sure it's viable.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 03:59
Hmmm maybe will have to look into that but it was a while back maybe 2004 or 5

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:09:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:09:59