Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DBP community project?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2015 20:01
Hi, guys. Just want to throw in an idea. How about to build a team of all active forum members to make a single but powerful demo game to make a good advert boost for Lee? We have Evolved's shaders, coders, models, musicians, cookies.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 19:37
Oh snap, wrong forum, just forget it, okay? I thought this is a game developers forum.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 20:20
Quote: "Oh snap, wrong forum, just forget it, okay? I thought this is a game developers forum."

The idea is good, but it's not enough to just say "hey let's make a game u guyz it'll be super cool", and then cross your fingers and hope that something will suddenly materialize.

You have to take the position of the project manager. You have to outline in detail what it is that you want to do (create a design document), you have to have a realistic gantt chart outlining the required resources and areas of expertise, and it wouldn't hurt to have a basic framework down and running, upon which your team can build.

Need help with C/C++ game dev? PM me or add me on skype: the__comet.
Current active project: Light Ship

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 20:47
This, of course, seems to be a team request. But! TGC does indeed have a proper format (I don't know where to look for it) for creating a team request that they do accept. If you can get that down, I think your idea would have some potential.

"Sorry, you can redo your sig...Stupid Mod pressed the wrong button." - JLMoonDog
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 20:52
Quote: "and then cross your fingers and hope that something will suddenly materialize."

The point of this thread is to discuss the idea, as it was written in the OP.
The result of discussion, if community decision will be positive, is the members list who want to participate.
The list will show what game resources we could produce. Like what if there is no 2d artist?
And only then comes the stuff you say like desdoc.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 21:13 Edited at: 4th Apr 2015 21:22
Quote: "This, of course, seems to be a team request."

No it is not. I am not a project leader. Pick TheComet, he has experience.

I can help with 3d models.

I have some ideas:
Maybe we can make a clone of Minecraft? I've never played it though.
Or, maybe, we should boost, buff and finish some of the local promising projects?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 21:40
Quote: "No it is not. I am not a project leader."
Well that's a problem! You have to be willing to lead if you want your idea to be successful.

Quote: "I've never played it though."

"Sorry, you can redo your sig...Stupid Mod pressed the wrong button." - JLMoonDog
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2015 21:51 Edited at: 4th Apr 2015 21:52
As I said, the community has better leaders.

But having a leader is not enough to make something, right? How about everyone else? This thread is pretty empty.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 00:35
I'm a qualified Prince 2 Project Manager, and my comment is this...you cannot run this like a normal project, it WILL fail. There are too many uncontrollable risks (commitment, decision-making processes, completing work packages to a timescale, etc, etc, etc)

The first thing you need for a community project is enthusiastic participants, with the necessary skills but more importantly, the necessary time. You need people who are prepared to compromise, and don't always want their own way. You need people who will take their task and complete it to the specification, without deciding they have a better way to do it. You need a small team of people who connect the dots, rather than make the dots. And you need a project steering committee who lead the project for the good of the project, not their own egos, and can manage a distributed team of developers with every quirky personality under the sun. The steering committee can include the individual with the big idea, so long as that person can let go of their personal attachment to the idea and allow it to be nurtured by a surrogate family.

Having said all that, it's achievable once you lay down the rules and everyone embraces them for the better good. I don't fit the bill, because I am lacking in time. Make sure everyone declares their commitment, and the time they have to throw at the project. Make sure they all want to be part of an idea that isn't necessarily their favourite idea. Ensure you have fulfilled all of the roles and ideally doubled up to account for dropouts. Then you can declare the project initiated and ready to start.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 02:00
Its really hard to get people motivated to join something of this scale and difficulty with nothing started to really get them excited about.

A community competition might draw more interest, particularly if it were based on a theme that all TGC products could reasonably compete in. Something like 'Run and Gun' would be specific enough to be easy to come up with an idea, but allows for a loose enough interpretation to be able to be implemented in pretty much any genre or style. 2d, 3d, first person, third person, top down, side scroller, arcade whatever. would allow DBPro, AppGameKit, FPSC each to compete on relatively even terms.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 14:50 Edited at: 5th Apr 2015 14:51
Quote: "A community competition might draw more interest"

There were already.

Competition splits people, where such project would gather people to produce big thing.

Quote: "Its really hard to get people motivated to join something"

Yeah, you are right, I just thought of this may help to advertise Lee's GameGuru.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 18:54
But none recently, and they are usually focused to one product instead of at the whole community. Teams could be allowed/encouraged a competition doesn't have to be between individuals.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:19:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:19:50