Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Storytellers Intro Scripts

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 17:35 Edited at: 10th Apr 2015 16:20
[img][/img]

Over the years I have played well over 200 FPSC games, from short WIPs to full games. And no matter if they where worth playing or not, most lacked the same thing: An intro.

Creating a full narrative intro requires a lot of time and effort. One needs custom graphics, music, sounds and everything has to be put together into a kind of movie. It\'s too much effort for most first-time developers but it simply doesn\'t work to write elaborate backstories in some forum as a substitution for a proper intro.

I have collected over 200 FPSC games and if I replay one I don\'t visit this forum, IndieDB or any other site to reread the backstory before I play the game - and I guess only a few people do.

To solve this problem, I created a script blueprint for a bare-bone intro. It uses a black backdrop, stock sounds and a few lines of text. The first one features an intro for a typical urban zombie setting. The download includes the script, a demo game and a map made with stock media so everyone can use it as a starting point for his own zombie themed game:http://www.mediafire.com/download/70flbs1n241exrx/Storytellers+ZombieCity+Intro.rar
And here is the script for anyone who wants to take a peek:

I am ready to make several of these script/map packs for the standard genres but I need to know if everything - especially the map- works as intended so I\'d be thankful for anyone downloading and testing this first one.

EDIT:
Here is the next Intro pack for a Wasteland themed game. Like the first one it includes the script, a demo game and a map made with stock media so everyone can use it as a starting point for his own game:http://www.mediafire.com/download/mtnzb124qnq049c/Storytellers+Wasteland+Intro.rar
The script features a different text colour and is running a bit faster than the first one:

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
wizardious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 18:31
Awesome Storyteller, I had planned on just such an addition for my game. Although it will be some time before I start working on start/intro, and menu screens, this is a nice template that will make it easy to implement this feature. Thanks for chopping a chunk of off the mountain of tasks ahead of me!
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 20:21
The Storyteller 01
Ran the test map and ran perfectly in test-mode. Then ran the
"demo", also ran prefect. But crashed at first try, noticed the two
.dll files missing (msvcp71.dll & msvcr71.dll) added them to main
.exe folder and it played. V1.20_beta1.17
Yes, this is perfect for game intro's and would help a lot of newer/older users. Different styles would be great
Thanks, best

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 21:10 Edited at: 8th Apr 2015 21:11
Thanks for the test run @ncmako!

The thing about the missing .dll files is strange though. I use exactly the same 1.20017 and I don't have these .dll files in my FPSC directory. I have them in my system32 folder however as part of the "Microsoft C-Runtime Library" files. Maybe FPS games are only missing these files if the MS C-RT library was not installed in the first place.

I will do more of those scripts (6-7 for a start) but regarding different styles I will stick to stock backgrounds and sounds to keep the scripts 100% out-of-the-box usable.

I have some more elaborate scripted intros in the pipeline though, which I hope to present in a few weeks.

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 01:56
terrific work storyteller.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
This is really useful for starters in FPSC who don't really know how to create raw text HUDs, great addition to the community!

Have you thought about making a version with audio cues and perhaps a monologue that speaks directly to the player instead of having the player read it? I've always been a fan of having a narrator speak to the player because it feels more cinematic and immersive. Just a thought.

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz, Radeon HD 7850 2GB, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2015 23:50
Glad you like it @The Master D!

To answer your question, I have thought about providing audios quite often.

I am actually a trained actor but I am not a native English speaker and I don't have the proper equipment to record voice overs. So the technical quality and the usability would be quite limited.

The other reason is, that my scripts can easily be modified while an audio can not.

The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahhh, I see; aren't language barriers just swell?

Maybe you could just make script templates for the audio cues and then just leave the file path blank so that the user could input their own audio files. It's just a thought though. Either way, good work!

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz, Radeon HD 7850 2GB, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 17:58 Edited at: 16th Jun 2015 18:14
Thank you

Utinni !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 13:20:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 13:20:25