Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The 3D Printer Thread

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 16:29 Edited at: 21st Apr 2015 16:31
Hey all,

This is the thread where I will show progress and (invariably) mistakes as I build my 3D printer. It's also a general thread for chatting about 3D printers and related subjects

To start with, here's couple of screenshots of the current design for the main frame of the printer. It's not quite finished and doesn't have any of the print base frame. The brown parts are the parts that I need to manufacture. The plan is to attempt to make them out of pine wood, but without a drill press achieving the required accuracy may prove difficult. Time will tell.

Obviously there's a bit of a problem with where one of the Y-axis belts will run. Didn't think about that when I designed one of those side-blocks. Reworking that piece will be one of tomorrow's projects.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2015 18:50
Looks pretty good, im guessing that that's the x/y axis where the extruder will sit, then the print plate will move on the Z axis, right.

Im not sure if having the stepper motor where it is now is a good idea, it looks like it will add extra stress on one side since those things are pretty heavy.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Very convenient timing on this thread, as I was just looking into getting a 3D printer myself.

What do you guys think of this one? http://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-Vinci-2-0-Printer-Grey/dp/B00T472HII/ref=sr_1_5?

It's cheap in comparison to most other printers. From the reviews I've read, it's a good printer, but the company tries to force you to use their printer filament (which is more expensive). However, there are "hacks" that allow you to use other filament.

Sean

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2015 02:43
Quote: "Looks pretty good, im guessing that that's the x/y axis where the extruder will sit, then the print plate will move on the Z axis, right."

Yup that's the idea. The Y axis is the one that moves the motor. The build plate will be very approximately 30cm x 30cm, and since it'll be a glass plate, it'll be quite heavy. For that reason I have two motors supporting the Z axis.

Quote: "Im not sure if having the stepper motor where it is now is a good idea, it looks like it will add extra stress on one side since those things are pretty heavy."

I thought of that, but I think it'll be ok. The only thing it stresses is the belt. I have pretty high-torque motors (78oz.in) so the motors should have no trouble handling it. Also there will be 2 belts running along the Y axis (one for each side), powered by a third (small, closed-loop) belt and pulley connected to a single motor, so I think the stresses will be pretty equalised.

Quote: "What do you guys think of this one? http://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-Vinci-2-0-Printer-Grey/dp/B00T472HII/ref=sr_1_5?"

I think if you're willing to risk the software issues (like being forced to use the manufacturer's filament unless you hack it) then it's a great printer. Not sure if it's worth the $650, though. I feel like there should be other, better printers for that much - but I haven't looked for a while and wouldn't know

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think if you're willing to risk the software issues (like being forced to use the manufacturer's filament unless you hack it) then it's a great printer. Not sure if it's worth the $650, though. I feel like there should be other, better printers for that much - but I haven't looked for a while and wouldn't know"

I was going to give it some thought before purchasing, but the XYZ Da Vinci 1.0 model just went on sale today from $500 marked down to $350. The only big differences is the 2.0 has a duel extruder but the 1.0 has a bigger print volume. So I ended up purchasing it, it should be here by Friday. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7VEU0G/ref=s9_simh_gw_p328_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sean

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2015 09:36
Quote: "but the XYZ Da Vinci 1.0 model just went on sale today from $500 marked down to $350. The only big differences is the 2.0 has a duel extruder but the 1.0 has a bigger print volume."

That sounds like an excellent deal and a good choice! I hope you can manage to work around the locked-down software, 'cause that could be really frustrating if you can't. I mean, if you plan on using the official filament cartridges you should have no problems at all

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:13:46
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:13:46