Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Your Workflow

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2015 16:52
Hey folks,

Just a thread to show off your workspaces, maybe just to geek out or offer inspiration. Since upgrading my monitor I have found I have plenty of space, so am trying to workout the best workspace for me so I don't have to do any alt-tabbing. So any inspiration will work for me too.

It's a big image, so I've linked instead
http://i.imgur.com/17MGAdD.png
On the left, I have where I have where I'm coding, enough space to have 2 code files stacked on top of each other. Then in the top right, I can use my web browser, so any references I wish to use, or, as it is web development, show my localhost. Then in the bottom right, have 2 consoles, one is the server and the other is where I'm doing console commands, like in the picture, I'm generating a new model.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2015 20:27 Edited at: 4th May 2015 20:30
I'm using two screens, each screen has its own 9 virtual desktops (you can see which one is selected in the top left corner). I switch between windows, screens, and desktops using keyboard short cuts only. If everything is organised well, your workflow becomes really efficient, because you never lose time looking for a window in the stack, as was the case when I worked with Windows and you only had a single desktop.

My organisation follows one simple rule: Have only 2 windows per desktop. This makes switching between windows as simple as possible.

Deskop 1: I use this for social things. In this case, skype on my left screen and web browsing on my right screen:
http://i.imgur.com/chCi0vG.png

Desktop 2: This has my primary programming project. In this case, Lightship written in C (see my sig). I like to have one screen dedicated to looking up things on the internet, and the other screen will always have an IDE and a terminal open (you can see the IDE through the transparent terminal).
http://i.imgur.com/eL043c7.png

Desktop 3: This is my secondary programming project. In this case, a Java application for a school project. Again, you can see a terminal and an IDE in the background. When programming, I usually have desktop 2 on the left screen for looking up internet related things when I run into trouble. Right now, you can see an IRC client.
http://i.imgur.com/EQsUE0R.png

Desktop 4: I usually use this for artwork, such as 3D modelling in blender or drawing in Gimp.
http://i.imgur.com/X18Nz9A.png

The remaining desktops are reserved for random stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'm a lot more efficient as far as organisation goes when compared to a Windows user with a single desktop. To get to my IDE on desktop 2, I would press: Win+Shift+2 (switch to screen 2), Win+2 (switch to desktop 2), Ctrl+k (same as alt+tab on Windows, switch windows).

Need help with C/C++ game dev? PM me or add me on skype: the__comet.
Current active project: Light Ship
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2015 20:58 Edited at: 4th May 2015 20:59
Ah, I see you are using awesome DM That's what I used until I switched to BSPWM a few weeks ago.

Just like comet, I use a tiling window manager with diffirent desktops on diffirent montiors and keyboard shortcuts for everything. (My mouse interraction with the desktop manager doesn't even work right now)

this is what my current setup looks like. I want to make it a bit more pretty at some point though.

School java project im writing documentation for and browser.
http://i.imgur.com/T4F0KNt.png

Uploading images and random terminal
http://i.imgur.com/bWcXGC9.png

I somehow managed to use up all my 16gb of ram the other day which crashed my desktop manager so I don't have that many interesting programs to show off

My old awesomeDM desktop that looked a bit more pretty than my current one ATM
http://imgur.com/a/HXbxV

Also comet, do you always keep your desktops on both your monitors coupled? You have desktop n active on both your monitors at the same time

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2015 22:24
Quote: "Also comet, do you always keep your desktops on both your monitors coupled? You have desktop n active on both your monitors at the same time"

They're not coupled, it just looks like that because I took the screenshots in order.

I should really look into spicing things up a bit with some cool themes like you have.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2015 23:29
I usually maximize usage my 1080p monitor so I can leave my 1280x1024 for web-browsing/Youtube, etc.

Here's a typical workflow for my personal game project: Usual Workflow

And my no IDE workspace/setup: VIM for lyfe!

I'm using Plasma 5 on Arch Linux. software used: Qt Creator, Terminator, Skype, Firefox.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2015 23:44 Edited at: 4th May 2015 23:46
I don't understand those people who try to use Vi for everything. Maybe it's cool for editing config files and scripts, but come on. Using it as your primary IDE for developing a Java/C++/Web application? You miss out on all of the awesome refactoring features, smart auto-completion, and everything that makes developing fast, like this:

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2015 23:49
I'm using vim, not vi.

Vi sucks. Vim does not.

And honestly I only use Vim when I don't have an IDE or can't use an IDE. And when you get really good with the keybindings, you can do some truly powerful things without using the mouse at all(the copy you did in the GIF is pretty typical of power vim users AFAICT).

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2015 01:27
Y'all using Linux. I stopped using Linux for my project because I didn't see a point using a VM to use Linux to do what I already can here, but I was just curious about learning how to use some Linux stuff should I need to in future and cannot justify using it as a main OS, as there's still stuff I rely on in Windows.

However, for IDE's and Text Editors, I am quite fond of Komodo, though I use KomodoEdit because I am too cheap for Komodo IDE. Given my current needs, this works favourably. But I am attracted by RubyMine, tried the trial and it is pretty powerful. Maybe when I can spare £78.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2015 23:05 Edited at: 6th May 2015 00:59
I realised my old trial for RubyMine was for version 6 and they let me restart my 30 days for version 7, so I've decided to see how it might improve my work flow. One advantage is that it eliminates my console windows, it gives me a GUI for stuff I'd normally do in the console (and as far as I am aware, is the only Ruby IDE that does) but still has a console window for providing me with data I need. Also gives me a GUI for using git. And I was instantly able to set up my existing project in RubyMine. It is a pretty sweet and fully featured IDE.

http://i.imgur.com/QmpqipW.png

You can see looking at my IDE, I have a window open for looking my git branches and tells me which branch I am on. At the same time, I have what my local host server is doing in the background and can see it perform SQL queries (and are nice colour coded) and I can see how quickly it takes to load a page. However, only console stuff I use not covered by the IDE (possible a plugin exists) and that's "Heroku", which is my host, I can speak to my Heroku server from my console, but only would use that for deployment anyway.

But using 2 windows now for coding - the big one is where I'm coding, the secondary window I'll use for reference. So in the screenshot, I am coding validation controls for user input and in the secondary window, I have all the variables the user can input so I remember what to validate.

I /might/ be tempted to fork £78 for it.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2015 19:37
I've get my old monitor in portrait at the side of my main screen. It's good for DBPro, as the IDE sits nicely in there and usually the code doesn't have to spread over 2 lines. It's good for Cryengine too, I have all the edit tools in that window and leave the main screen for the editor. I don't really have enough stuff to warrant using alternate desktops, plenty space for all my dev stuff shortcuts on the second screen.
Not that it matters, I'm doing most of my work on laptops these days - every time I sit at my main PC I end up playing GTA or something, I get more done when there's less distractions... I keep meaning to start a big project on my main PC, but end up making stuff for the Speccy or fettling away at Eat Drink Slay.

I am the one who knocks...
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2015 03:01 Edited at: 7th May 2015 03:03
I just click the buttons to switch between windows on my single 1080p monitor. Windows 7 FTW (and hopefully Windows 10 if they can fix some of the glaring issues with the Technical/Insider Preview before release).

Quote: "because you never lose time looking for a window in the stack"

Why would you be looking for it? You just click the appropriately-labelled button. See, in the following example, if I want the calculator, I don't have to go looking for it, I can instantly see it's the button labelled "Calculator":

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2015 05:24
Quote: "Why would you be looking for it?"
His computer has a rare manufacturing defect that causes the task bar to be invisible.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2015 11:30
Quote: "Why would you be looking for it? You just click the appropriately-labelled button. See, in the following example, if I want the calculator, I don't have to go looking for it, I can instantly see it's the button labelled "Calculator":"

A big reason I use a tiling window manager is to control everything using the keyboard because once you get used to it, it's a lot faster.

Also, I can have a workspace with two editors and one terminal for compiling. Then I can switch to another workspace and back while retaining the same layout in the first one.

On a floating windows manager without workspaces, I would have to minimize all active prgograms and then restore the ones I want. Going from two workspaces with 3 windows in each would be 6 clicks instead of one or one keyboard press

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2015 22:58 Edited at: 7th May 2015 23:03
Quote: "Why would you be looking for it? You just click the appropriately-labelled button."

I don't think you understand the quantity of things I use.

The following is a screenshot of my Windows desktop after an hour of work:

I constantly find myself switching between Git Bash, Intellij, Skype, XMPlayer (music), various PDF documents, Email, and the task manager. I will occasionally do things in Explorer, and I did some 3D modeling at some point.

It takes me on average 3-4 seconds to find the window I'm looking for on Windows. (Sometimes I'm lucky, and I can just alt-tab, but that's rare). When I work on linux, it takes me less than a second to find the window I want, because every Window is essentially mapped to a hotkey.

It may not sound like much, but it adds up. It also adds to your stress levels.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2015 00:50
Quote: "I realised my old trial for RubyMine was for version 6 and they let me restart my 30 days for version 7, so I've decided to see how it might improve my work flow. One advantage is that it eliminates my console windows, it gives me a GUI for stuff I'd normally do in the console (and as far as I am aware, is the only Ruby IDE that does) but still has a console window for providing me with data I need. Also gives me a GUI for using git. And I was instantly able to set up my existing project in RubyMine. It is a pretty sweet and fully featured IDE. "

Jetbrains IDEs are always top notch. I use PHPStorm and IntelliJ!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2015 01:21 Edited at: 8th May 2015 01:32
I am very quick navigating around in Windows and I am very familiar and adept with the hotkeys I use. But I do favour my screenspace above. There are tools you can use to improve you experience. Because I've used it for so long, I've got some tricks.

I'd show you my workspace at work, but I am sure there's data protection issues as well as others. But I have a small 19" monitor and a secondary 10" monitor (used only for call logs) and I have loads of open windows to do lots of different things. I use Windows 7 at work and I make full use of the shortcuts and easy ways of moving through different Windows and tabs to streamline how I work. A couple of people I've trained are like "I wish I was that quick" and as a result, talk them through what I do when they need my help so they can get used to it.

Given we have to keep our talk time low with customers, yet provide a service, being able to quickly get information and access different windows helps keep that time down.

Alt+Tab and Start+Tab are my 2 most used buttons, as the windows are previewed, it's quite easy to spot what I need open. I am much quicker than 3-4 seconds (so they ladies s...wait a minute)

But I know what you mean about the extra 3-4 seconds adds up, especially with stress - if I find our database software is going sluggish and I'm trying to help a customer, there's moments of awkward silence and "sorry, but my system is being a bit slow", more stressful when it's an unhappy customer with little patience.

Not Windows' fault, in fact, Windows 7 is pretty damn smooth at work, faster than when we used XP, the downside i have found, is compatibility - some of our web software uses archaic Active X controls and incidentally we have to run in compatibility mode and has to be tweaked and new agents starting up a new computer don't realise the tweaks and rely on me to come around and "fix" their computer...mainly because it's quicker than getting the IT guy.

Also see you're using IntelliJ IDEA, RubyMine's brother,I am quite liking RubyMine, you share a similar love with Intellij IDEA or loathe it like the very Windows you reject!

Quote: "Jetbrains IDEs are always top notch. I use PHPStorm and IntelliJ!"

Oh aye, I am preferring it to my KomodoEDIT set up. Has plenty of decent tools available. Plus the intellisense on it I have found is superior, which has helped me troubleshoot an issue better yesterday - for some reason a child of one database table is singular when there should be many...ain't figured out why yet, but I will have a read of the schema when I got time to see what I've done wrong. With Komodoedit, there's a certain amount, but isn't as good. I also thought it a "I'm being lazy" tool, but actually, useful troubleshooting, because if something isn't appearing when it should, you know there's a problem before you try and test for it.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2015 19:08
Quote: "Jetbrains IDEs are always top notch. I use PHPStorm and IntelliJ!"

Oh yes, intellij is great, it's the only IDE I have kept using since I switched over to vim.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2015 03:04
Quote: "The following is a screenshot of my Windows desktop after an hour of work:"

Oh right. I rarely end up with that many windows open. I frequently end up with 80-100 Chrome tabs open (which makes me really wish I had 16GB of ram) but that's another story.

Quote: "It takes me on average 3-4 seconds to find the window I'm looking for on Windows. (Sometimes I'm lucky, and I can just alt-tab, but that's rare). When I work on linux, it takes me less than a second to find the window I want, because every Window is essentially mapped to a hotkey."

What makes it easier to get to windows on Linux than Windows? Surely there would be a simple bit of software to replicate whatever functionality you miss. And just for the record, you can press Win+[numberkeys] to instantly select an open window.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2015 04:46
Quote: "And just for the record, you can press Win+[numberkeys] to instantly select an open window."
Yay, new trick!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2015 11:20 Edited at: 9th May 2015 11:24
Quote: "What makes it easier to get to windows on Linux than Windows? Surely there would be a simple bit of software to replicate whatever functionality you miss. And just for the record, you can press Win+[numberkeys] to instantly select an open window."

It depends on what desktop manager you use. Most preinstalled DMs are pretty similar to windows in that windows are floating around and can be minimized and maximized. However, they also have workspaces which can contain multiple windows. It's essentially like having multiple diffirent desktops to switch between. There is probably some tool that does this in windows and windows 10 is getting it nativley.

Me and comet use something called a tiling window manager which instead of letting windows float around and being dragged, they usually maximize their size to fit all windows within one workspace. Open one program and it takes up the whole monitor, open another and they take 50% each and so on.

if you prefer to maximize your windows this is a lot better and it allows you to control everything with the keyboard a lot easier than if they were floating. If I want to switch focus to the window left of my current window, I simply press <windows button>+l. We also have fixed workspaces on each monitor which we can reach by pressing windows+<number>.

The main advantage of that is that if we have 3 programs which work together, we can put them in one workspace and they will remain together. In order to open our 3 programs, we switch to that workspace using <window>+<number> and all the programs are unminimized at the same time.

On windows we would have to minimize the old program and maximize the 3 new programs one at a time. Sure, you could press win+numberkeys to maximize them, but that only works with up to 10 windows and they arn't always in the same place if you close or open other windows

Also, I should add that you can't really say that this is how it works on all linux computers. There is no "linux desktop manager" and technically not even a "linux desktop rendering program". You chose your own desktop manager, usualy preinstalled and then you can install more and switch between them as much as you like.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2015 14:31
Quote: "Oh yes, intellij is great, it's the only IDE I have kept using since I switched over to vim."

I can see why, I am just continuously discovering new cool things to the Ruby brother to this IDE. Just figured out that any files that are marked red are untracked by git and all that are marked blue are uncommitted. Which is quite a useful cue, plus the fact I can just right click on a file and have access to git commands for it is really useful. I recently messed up on a model and tried loads of things to try and fix it, but meant my code was broken and thought I'd try again from scratch, so I could just delete all of the red files and revert all of the blue ones and I was back to where I started from my last commit. Like going back in time, really surprised it has taken this long for me to try version control, because it really removes the headache out of stuff.

But with this IDE, seems like the little things that it useful.

Also, might have infected one of our tech guys at work, he's trying to develop a useful troubleshooting system for agents to use using HTML & JavaScript, so I was sat over his shoulder being like, "let me show you the power of git."

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2015 14:49
Intellij is without doubt the most powerful IDE I've used. It has loads of little features that all save you time. The most used shortcuts for me are:

-shift+F6: rename symbol
-ctrl+F6: change method signature
-alt+F7: Find usages

I love multi cursors:
-highlight a word, then press alt+j to select the next occurrence.
-alt+shift+click to place a new cursor
-double-press ctrl and hold, then use arrow keys to duplicate cursors.

Quote: "so I was sat over his shoulder being like, "let me show you the power of git.""

Same here! I introduced git to my colleagues and one of them got so attached to it, I think he has more appreciation for it than he has for coffee, and that's saying a lot.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2015 15:31 Edited at: 9th May 2015 16:04
Quote: "Also, I should add that you can't really say that this is how it works on all linux computers. There is no "linux desktop manager" and technically not even a "linux desktop rendering program". You chose your own desktop manager, usualy preinstalled and then you can install more and switch between them as much as you like."

I know, I know, I've understood that well for a long time

Quote: "On windows we would have to minimize the old program and maximize the 3 new programs one at a time. Sure, you could press win+numberkeys to maximize them, but that only works with up to 10 windows and they arn't always in the same place if you close or open other windows"

That shouldn't be necessary. Naturally, being an avid Windows user, I want to help you not feel so frustrated when using Windows. As such, here's a couple of tiling window managers to ease your pain:

bug.n - Free, open-source, written with AutoHotkey so should be dead-easy to modify the keyboard shortcuts, includes virtual-desktop feature (i.e. workspaces) - almost certainly the better option
AquaSnap - Commercial, free for personal use, lots of features, possibly not very flexible
MaxTo - Commercial, $17.99 with 30-day trial, not very automatic, probably least useful option

------------------

EDIT: Ever been really frustrated by not being able to rearrange windows of the same application on the taskbar? I just discovered 7+ Taskbar Tweaker and it's AWESOME. FINALLY I can have windows of the same program NOT grouped together if I so desire!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2015 19:17
Quote: " I want to help you not feel so frustrated when using Windows."

I haven't used windows in a year and I don't plan on going back anytime soon. Linux just suits me better. Thanks for the tips anyway

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 10th May 2015 01:38
Quote: "Intellij is without doubt the most powerful IDE I've used."

IntelliJ is great if you have the RAM for it. I'm constantly at 900MB+ for a single project open.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 02:48
Quote: " IntelliJ is great if you have the RAM for it. I'm constantly at 900MB+ for a single project open."

Development tools' RAM and CPU usage is the sole reason why I upgraded to 16GB RAM and will probably stay with 4+ core CPUs.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 03:18 Edited at: 10th May 2015 03:21
Quote: "I haven't used windows in a year and I don't plan on going back anytime soon. Linux just suits me better. Thanks for the tips anyway"

They were more for TheComet who said he does use Windows sometimes. Windows is way more flexible than most people think. I was showing that you have the power to make Windows work a lot like whichever Linux distro you like most if you want to.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 03:48
Yeah, seems to eat up a good portion or RAM, but these days, not really an issue, I would prefer my RAM get used and do something useful that for it to be underused and be less useful. I have 8gb RAM and it's plenty.

Also, made a useful discovery on Git, if I mess up on my commits, like I did when I was checked out on a revision and made a commit. It was not the end of the world. As I could still find the means of saving my butt. It was a pretty big commit, so wouldn't have been happy. XD I'll have to learn to commit a little more frequently.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 05:04
Quote: " Yeah, seems to eat up a good portion or RAM, but these days, not really an issue, I would prefer my RAM get used and do something useful that for it to be underused and be less useful. I have 8gb RAM and it's plenty."

I don't like my RAM usage to be above 75% because sometimes Windows likes to page out to disk at about that percentage. Although I do think I turned that off.

I finally got around to learning pathogen for Vim, and added some stuff to my Vim install: Dark themed by default.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 12:48 Edited at: 10th May 2015 13:19
Well I'm currently running Chrome, Skype, JetBrains Ruby Mine and Final Fantasy XIV (I have it open to keep an eye on my guild, as I run one ) and I am using 4.3gb of memory (54%) and 22% of my CPU (6 cores of 3.5ghz). I don't think it's too much.

You can see here:
http://i.imgur.com/9tQgw7E.png

If I wish, I can leave a spare corner for my FFXIV window, switching to Ruby Mine has freed up that space a little, so I can alt tab less. Granted, a tiny window for a game isn't that playable, but it's there to keep an eye on my guild, see if people are doing stuff and can also use it to farm in game, like now - I am trying to do logging in the game, but a certain type of log that is available at certain times, so rather than waiting around and getting caught up in the boring waiting MMO's like to have you do (this game isn't that bad for it) but means I can multi task my gaming and work.

As you can see from the stats above, it really doesn't impact my performance.

Also, for my Windows, I am using LG's screensplit software available to their UltraWide Monitors: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UM95

Not sure if there's other software that does it and dunno if this only works on LG UltraWide, but is pretty nifty for laying your screen out, it's not that feature packed, but better than Windows' default and is sufficient.

[edit]

Don't judge my variable labels. At the time I was getting frustrated and couldn't be bothered making meaningful labels. I was thinking in the frame of mind of how I'm used to playing with normal variables and was forgetting that I am actually dealing with a SQL database and as soon as I thought in SQL database terms, my code worked. XD Hence Character.where, I was trying stuff like Character.find and so on, finding I can only get 1 result or no results or syntax errors and thinking "how on earth am I going to get an array of entries meeting certain criteria!?"

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 13:39
Im currently using 9.4gb of my 16gb total RAM. The main hogs are firefox which uses 2 GB which is understandable considering I probably have over 50 tabs open in diffirent windows.

After that comes some java processes which I think is minecraft and a minecraft server that use about 2GB in total. Other than that, I aparently have 17 terminals which all use 2mb each and 8 vim instances which all use ~40mb.

I guess that's the disadvantage of being able to keep your stuff running in a diffirent workpace

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 15:14
Ouch, that's a lot. But I guess a question of how much juice that MC server is using, I don't know how many people use it. I've had a Starbound server set up on my PC and of course use a Rail server for development, but uses very little resources, given my Rails server is just 1 user and my Starbound server was just the two of us. I tried to get into Minecraft (mainly peer pressure from a friend) but actually much prefer Starbound. Trapping enemies and then burying them in lava never gets old.

I generally use Chrome, I used to be a Firefox man, but it turned into a resource hog, even crashing and well, I was getting fewer performance issues in IE, but found Chrome to overall the best choice for me (I was an IE user for a while, because in fairness, MS have improved it somewhat). But, Chrome is the browser that is the most HTML 5 compliant, but of course, I'll need to focus development for all of the main browsers and mobile devices. Given websites will generally be coded to work with most browsers, the fact Chrome is more HTML 5 compliant doesn't normally mean too much.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 15:33
Quote: "Well I'm currently running Chrome, Skype, JetBrains Ruby Mine and Final Fantasy XIV (I have it open to keep an eye on my guild, as I run one ) and I am using 4.3gb of memory (54%)"

Not many Chrome tabs, then? Chrome eats memory like nothing else.

Quote: "But I guess a question of how much juice that MC server is using, I don't know how many people use it."

You can easily run a vanilla MC server on the same computer as a client but once you start getting into modpacks like Tekkit or Yogscast Complete you'll need a separate PC for the server

Quote: "I've had a Starbound server set up on my PC"

Ugh, the Starbound dedicated server is absolute rubbish. Constantly crashing, really slow and frequently gets left behind when mining dirt. Does yours run fine?

Quote: "I generally use Chrome, I used to be a Firefox man, but it turned into a resource hog, even crashing and well, I was getting fewer performance issues in IE, but found Chrome to overall the best choice for me"

Chrome FTW! Chrome is by far and away the best browser I've ever used! (And, for the record, IE is by far the worst browser I've ever used)

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 15:34
I used to use chrome but it seemed to use atleast 200mb per tab instead of 2gb for 50 like firefox. Firefox does crash every onece in a while and uses a bit more CPU but I have to live with that

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 16:05
Quote: "I used to use chrome but it seemed to use atleast 200mb per tab"

It does and that's what makes it more reliable. This awesome comic strip by Google explains why they designed Chrome the way they did

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 17:22
Quote: "It does and that's what makes it more reliable"

Yea, I can see why they decided to go with the tab=process design that they did, but for me who has a ton of tabs open, it doesn't work that well

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2015 20:20
Quote: "Not many Chrome tabs, then? Chrome eats memory like nothing else.
"

Only what I need. Though ATM, as I have several open now, it has gone up to 5gb. Not sure what I'd do with 50 tabs at once. I have 10 open at the moment, I don't need all of them, just I've been too lazy to close them.

Quote: "(And, for the record, IE is by far the worst browser I've ever used)"

I found the latest versions better. But the main issue I have with it is that it is quite far behind alternative browsers in what it supports. But in terms of performance, stability and reliability, it is a LOT better than what it used to be. In my experience, more stable than later versions of Firefox. Shame, because I've always loved Firefox, but last I used it, found it didn't perform so well and occasional crashed.

Quote: "Ugh, the Starbound dedicated server is absolute rubbish. Constantly crashing, really slow and frequently gets left behind when mining dirt. Does yours run fine?"

It isn't 100% stable, have had the client crash a couple of times, but server has stayed up. But I prefer it as a game. Stopped playing because my friend hasn't been around to play and was going to wait for her to continue playing. So dunno what the server is like ATM, but I know they have been doing up dates. I know it is one of those Early Access games, so guess it is one of the downsides of playing those.

Quote: "You can easily run a vanilla MC server on the same computer as a client but once you start getting into modpacks like Tekkit or Yogscast Complete you'll need a separate PC for the server"

Ah gotcha, I'm using Tekkit with my Minecraft because that's what my friend's server is using, but I still find it hard to get into playing it. Maybe I am immune to what people find addictive about it. Odd that I find Starbound addictive as it's a similar game, perhaps it's partly the atmosphere. Starbound has a great atmosphere to it.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2015 15:34
Quote: "Yea, I can see why they decided to go with the tab=process design that they did, but for me who has a ton of tabs open, it doesn't work that well"

I commonly end up with 50-100 tabs open at once and rarely have a problem with it. Perhaps my SSD helps since they come out of pagefile almost instantly.

Quote: "Not sure what I'd do with 50 tabs at once."

I achieve those numbers when researching complex new topics. I open bazillions of pages in an attempt to passively absorb as much information on the subject as possible.

Quote: "Ah gotcha, I'm using Tekkit with my Minecraft because that's what my friend's server is using, but I still find it hard to get into playing it. Maybe I am immune to what people find addictive about it."

The tech mods (Mekanism, BuildCraft, Applied Energistics, Big Reactors, Modular Powersuits, Project Red, Galacticraft, etc.) are my favourites. I love setting up complex automated processing facilities from scratch in survival. I don't often play Vanilla any more since it has limited replay value. We (my brother and two of my sisters) have done tournaments where the goal is to be the first to reach the Galacticraft moon and find an auto-generated village. We split into two teams, chose an area to build our base and then just started mining. Almost as if it was rigged, we both ended up launching our ships literally within seconds of each other, but my brother's team won because he'd built a more efficient processing plant for all the materials needed to build the ship and then had time to make power armour, so he just flew across the lunar surface to easily find a village first.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 14:55
Quote: "I achieve those numbers when researching complex new topics. I open bazillions of pages in an attempt to passively absorb as much information on the subject as possible.
"

Makes sense, though presently...I have a whopping 4 tabs open. This one, the one for the image I'm about to post, one for Google Play music and one for my website project. I don't like to keep track of too many tabs, I am very "ooh butterfly" as it is, very easily distracted. But I can multi task.

Anyway. adjusted work space running Windows 10 in a virtual machine, my intention to see if I run into any problems with my development environment on Windows 10 and of course to make sure that my project works cloned on different systems. So I can talk about how to get my project to run on another system, for my reference mainly should I need to move it, say to my laptop at some stage, I know that everything will work.

http://i.imgur.com/Fq0cECY.png

I did run into a couple of issues when setting it up, because all I did was grab the "Rails Installer" with all of the stuff I'd normally need bundled together, like coffee script was through an error because the version installed is a newer version than the one used, so all I needed to do was force the version that works.

Now when I move this all to my laptop, it should in theory do it without additional tweaking.

I am still loving all this extra space. It's mental, I can just fit loads of stuff into a single screen space and not find it restricting. It also means I can both work and procrastinate the same time!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 00:50 Edited at: 8th Jun 2015 09:54
I've gone back to Komodo Edit, until I can justify £70 for the full version of RubyMine.

http://i.imgur.com/snTH7tX.png

It's changed because I love having my music going and have a couple of extra windows running. As I have started using "ngrok", which is a really nice tool for allowing specific ports on your localhost to be accessible over the internet. Useful for testing on other devices without having to deploy, also gives other stats, particularly response time on requests (although I get an indication from "rails server" too).

But two things that help give me an idea on how well things perform. It also lets me get feed back from uses on features before I deploy.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 03:23
I now have two monitors, which is proving very useful. And Windows 7's multi-monitor support is excellent

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 03:43
Quote: "And Windows 7's multi-monitor support is excellent"

I find that in extended desktop mode that putting two windows side by side is a pain in the tush. But yes, other than that, Windows' support for multiple monitors is pretty straightforward.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 04:41 Edited at: 8th Jun 2015 04:44
Quote: "I find that in extended desktop mode that putting two windows side by side is a pain in the tush."

I don't do that. I use maximised windows exclusively (aside from things like Notepad or Winamp). But Windows 10 will even better multi-monitor support for those who want more advanced features.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 8th Jun 2015 16:52
Quote: "I find that in extended desktop mode that putting two windows side by side is a pain in the tush. But yes, other than that, Windows' support for multiple monitors is pretty straightforward."

If you use the mouse it is, but I typically use WindowsKey+ArrowKey

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2015 06:05
Quote: " If you use the mouse it is, but I typically use WindowsKey+ArrowKey"

You learn something new everyday!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:43:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:43:48