Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Free 2D Programs and Texturing/Skinning

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2003 11:18
Is Pixia or Dogwaffle able to draw textures for Models?

and can anyone tell me what is the difference between a Paint program and an image editor?

Thanks,
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Any art program can make textures for models, because at the very least you can capture the screen with Print Screen, and put it in MSPaint. Image editors probably are mostly for special effects. You don't always get a brush to draw with. Special effects are used to mess around with a picture that has been made already. Take a picture of a rose, and turn it into a metal rose, or a glowing rose, or an embossed rose. What you really want is an art package with brushes, some effects, and layers. Layers are great! Layers are used mainly with transparency to combine one set of images with another set of images. Old versions of programs are usually cheap. Corel Draw 8 upwards are good. Paint shop Pro 6 upwards is OK.

Pincho.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2003 04:35
hehe pinchos on the money but I dont share his corel pimping action. I have traditionally used photoshop since 2.5 for print/ web and broadcast work. I always use layers and compound layer masks to achieve a variety of effects as well as dodge and burn techniques. Always save the image you want to readjust in your packages native format so it retains all of the layers and so forth then once saved export a file for use in your game. This will save a tonne of time if one little aspect is not quite right and you need to adjust something. Some art packages allow you to work in greyscale and if you layer up the artwork into a series of greyscale gradients you can wash colour into it which allows for rapid reproduction of many instances of the same artwork with different colours. A football team skin would be a good example of this. With one blank jersey you could pump out a lot of different colour combinations. I use the technique for dragon skins as another example. There is a technique as well where you can desaturate a series of layers back to greyscale but its best done if you have the layers already spread out and may take a lot of deep etching path work to secure each component into its own layer.

Instead of using a 2d bitmap type of pixel technique you can use other fine programs that deploy bezier curve paths to create the shapes. Once you the right shapes its a simple matter of colouring them in to suit the requirement.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 07:41:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 07:41:53