Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I think I'm buying a church

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2015 21:34 Edited at: 13th May 2015 21:38
Been looking at properties the past few weeks and came across a church. I met with the guy who's selling it this morning. Part of the church has already been converted into a normal house inside, but half of the open space (place room for an entire 2nd floor) is still left unfinished. And when I say unfinished, I mean I don't think it's been touched since it was built 130 years ago! It needs a lot of work, but is livable with a fairly large kitchen. The guy said he's been living there the past 10 years and his wife is tired of it. He built a massive 2-story, 2-car garage on the property.

So anyone else think this is cool? Or am I crazy?

You can view some pics here
http://imgur.com/a/eYdnS

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th May 2015 21:51
BUY IT!!!

You can get the remakes of Buffy filmed there and turn it into an attraction and make a fortune!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 14th May 2015 00:01 Edited at: 14th May 2015 00:02
Quote: "So anyone else think this is cool?"

Yes.

We live next door to a former Methodist Chapel which has recently been converted to a home.

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 00:02
Haha, what is that priced at?
I'd probably buy it.

How is the garden situation though, will you get a cemetary included in the purchase...?

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 14th May 2015 00:06
It's smaller than I'd expected, but if it's well priced I'd say buy it.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it is way cool! I've always dreamed of buying some big building like that, lots of space! You'd get the added benefit of having an actual house included within it I love it, so much history and plenty to explore.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 01:47
It's not uncommon for them to be converted. I saw one that was turned into a Chinese all you can eat restaurant, also I used to work in a church that was converted into offices. I guess like anybody building, when it no longer serves its purpose, it gets re-purposed and well, some of the architecture can be great.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 03:02
Funny that you mention a cemetery. The guy who built the garage had to jump through hoops to prove that the head stones in the garden were just just $50 stones an old lady bought when she buried her dogs. Eventually he got the permit.

The guy is asking $89k. He stated it's around 2700sqft, that's a large home already. But keep in mind that a church was only one floor. I build a second floor and this easily turns into a 5000sqft home. Small for a church, yes, but not for a home. Plus it was built in 1885. New furnace installed in 2005.

My main concern is getting the loan at this point. Since I'm looking for a VA loan, they might not grant it for that place.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 09:48
OMG that is cheap!!!!!!!

Where is it situated? City name no address needed...

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 12:18
This is what you get in the UK for that price.

To get a church of that size as a house conversion would be a minimum of $400,000 USD

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 14th May 2015 15:00
Quote: "The guy who built the garage had to jump through hoops to prove that the head stones in the garden were just just $50 stones an old lady bought when she buried her dogs."

But what had she fed her dogs on though?

Powered by Free Banners
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 16:32
BatVink, what you forgot to add is, you can hear everything from both neighbouring houses... stair trampling, toilet flushes, coughing, terrible music choices, crappy sports presenters on TV... it goes on...

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 16:42 Edited at: 14th May 2015 16:42
Damn that would be a cool place to live. I'd pick that over a conventional house anyday of the week - hell you don't know what architectural features you might find. I think it's just a shame that it has such a bricked up exterior, would look awesome with traditional dark stone.

I'd worry a bit though, any church will probably be subject to restrictions about what you can do with it - like double-glazing, flooring, roofing, anything... be careful in case that's the real reason why the owners want to sell - maybe they just never got permission to finish the conversion, ended up building a garage instead, and have now realised that's not what they wanted at all. Make sure you know exactly what you will be allowed to do with the property.

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 19:16 Edited at: 14th May 2015 19:22
89K??? damn man go for it!!!

Church architecture! you are in a position for a win... do you get freehold land title with that? sound like a steal.

I do not wish to Hijack, but I am going for finance for a unit in the sunshine coast in Australia, two bedroom, million dollar views(I will share a photo to prove it If i manage finance...), prime location, 273 grand, you say 89k???
Make it happen dude coz.. damn.... If I could get a property for 89k I would be laughing. that sort of thing does not exist here.
I am stealing "my" property for the afore mentioned price

It almost sounds too good to be true for me. Make sure you have a good conveyancer. Best wishes phalax... I hope you have a real property win.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2015 19:32
Properties in this price range are easy to find in my city. I could buy a small house for less than $20k if I don't care about the neighborhood.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 04:53
wow, seems like a good price. I paid 140k for 1600sq ft single story and thats on the lower side of average around here.

old buildings like that though definitely want to get a careful inspection find out exactly what work needs to be done both now and in nearish 5-10 years

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2015 05:19 Edited at: 15th May 2015 05:24
What state is that in, Phaelax?

Here in Colorado, prices are rising fast. People are flocking to Colorado; it's the new California, as many say. Fun side article about that. Looking on Zillow, most houses go for well over 200k. You can definitely get them as low as 150k, but you're usually looking at a pretty dumpy place for that price.

My sister just bought her first house for about 260k. She got the deal through a friend, who failed to get it appraised before she sold it to my sister. Turns out the house was appraised for 300k! The house is not that great though; right around 2,000 square feet if I recall, built in the 1970s, but in a pretty dumpy condition. The previous owners abused the place badly. Other, better taken-care-of, but otherwise similar houses in the same neighborhood were going for 360k. My standards for what constitutes a 'good' house are pretty high though; I grew up in a relatively new 3,000 square foot house perched on top of a hill in a pretty rural place.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 05:46 Edited at: 16th May 2015 05:49
It's Ohio.

It was a no-go on the VA loan. The banker said they do have their own inspectors and they will most likely never approved for an old church/house like that.

Sunday, I'm going to look at this property. The realtors website says $70k, but the original listing I found said $60k. No interior photos, so I want to see the extent of what needs done inside. If it's just cosmetic and needs appliances, they might pass the inspection. Sure it's way smaller, but with almost an acre of land, I can expand later. And it's really only about 15-20min from downtown.

http://www.kw.com/homes-for-sale/43068/OH/Reynoldsburg/353-S-Waggoner-Road/3yd-CCOMLSOH-215004077.html

I got two other properties to view that day too, but they're for another project. (my friend and I are flipping homes, different loans and rules)

Quote: "My standards for what constitutes a 'good' house are pretty high though;"

A lot of what people consider dumpy is usually really simple cosmetic stuff. If I can save $20k because the house is just studs inside with no drywall, most would walk away. But I'll spend way less than 20k hanging drywall and painting it myself.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 13:02 Edited at: 16th May 2015 13:04
oh wow that house looks way nicer than the church. If you ever want a family you're definitely going to want a nice yard like that. At the same time it's a dog to take care of in the summer. That house may need a new roof, new windows, new everything. You seem like you know the drill.

Good luck.

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2015 13:56
Quote: " Properties in this price range are easy to find in my city. I could buy a small house for less than $20k if I don't care about the neighborhood.
"

I wish I lived in your corner of the world. you have always stuck me as an intelligent and capable person mate. Do what you do and go with your gut...and the advice of your older property wise friends. Let us know how you go in the end...

Good work mate.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2015 21:25 Edited at: 18th May 2015 21:27
Took a look at the house yesterday. There's minor water damage from an unknown source, likely the roof. The roof on the house and garage both need redone, but as long as it's not the source of the leak, it can wait another year or so. Condition of the home? Complete gut, down to the studs. Kitchen needs a new floor, but the solid wood floor in the family room looks in good shape, not warped at all. So new drywall everything and likely run new electric throughout the entire house.

Might sound like a lot of work, but it's not as bad as you'd think if you're willing to do the majority of the work. The electrical becomes much easier if I'm ripping out all the existing drywall. The large expense here isn't from the cost of electrical supplies, maybe a few hundred at most, but I'd have to get a permit and get it inspected. I'd pay someone to hook everything into the breakers, but I'd run all the wires to save money.

Ok, now the bad news. It uses a septic system, which I was told doesn't work. And the gas doesn't work. I can ditch the gas, having it capped off at the source and removing the old pipes and stick to all electric. That decision really depends on what's wrong with it. I didn't ask, but with a septic it usually indicates well water. Neighboring homes have city sewage, so I do have the option to tap those and ditch the septic. But that's costly, like in the thousands. The plumbing would be my biggest cost here most likely because it's not something I can do. In the home sure, but tapping city lines and removing a septic system no way.

The yard is awesome, the garage is huge, though no power inside. The tool shed I determined best to just knock over and rebuild from scratch. And.... in the corner of the lot covered by a lot of bushes I saw a small structure. I walked around it, so a small door with a crescent moon on it. I'm like, there's no way... open the door and there's a toilet sitting over a hole in the ground! Yup, old fashion outhouse. Yard is 0.7 acres has lots of large, mature trees, which is the main reason I'm considering this property.

I'm still building estimates, but if I can do the entire rehab for under 40k, I might go with it. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I'm already kicking myself for forgetting to take some.

We did, however, put in an offer on another property today (bank owned). Aside from some missing copper and furnace coil, all it needs is some paint really. The goal is to flip and resell it fast for a quick profit. We estimate about $30k shared between us, which would be awesome.

As much as I'd love to get that church and build on it, the overall costs would just be too much for me. It really needs someone who can afford to drop $100k extra into it.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2015 08:53
Quote: "I'd worry a bit though, any church will probably be subject to restrictions about what you can do with it - like double-glazing, flooring, roofing, anything..."

If it were in the UK, definitely. The UK has some ridiculous building restrictions (going by Grands Designs ). Maybe the US isn't quite so strict?

Quote: "As much as I'd love to get that church and build on it, the overall costs would just be too much for me. It really needs someone who can afford to drop $100k extra into it."

Real shame you couldn't afford it. Would have been really cool

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 01:54
I believe the home has been zoned as a residential property only, so most of those restrictions shouldn't apply.

In other bad news, our investor pulled the funding for my friend's and I house flipping business. We already had the approved loans and everything, we just need to find the right house to buy. (different the other properties I was looking at for myself) They were tired of waiting and wanted their money back. Sucks.

So now I'm looking at a cheap home down the street from me for $35k, short sale. Basement needs work, but that's it. I'm just waiting to get an estimate on that before I make my offer. I can pay that off in a few years easy and turn into a decent rental.

Army had me away for the past month and I was without cell service/internet. I come back to Ohio after only a few weeks and find out Trump is running for president, gay marriage is legal, and the confederate flag is almost illegal. Like holy crap, how much history did I just miss!?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 07:08
Also the bttf hoverboard was invented

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 19:28
Quote: "Also the bttf hoverboard was invented"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:06:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:06:50