Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My idea for a website about ideas

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 10:12 Edited at: 17th May 2015 12:47
I'm not really sure if this idea is original or not. I have had the idea for probably a couple of years, but as I have fallen out of my interest in IT, I have realized that I will probably never implement the idea myself. So I might as well share it for what it's worth! Not asking for anyone else to implement the idea for me, I'm just bored and want to share.

Lots of people have great ideas, ideas that would do great things if they were made known. Too often, however, the people with these ideas do not have an avenue through which their ideas can become known. Hence, why not create a website that gives good ideas some exposure?

Users would be able to submit their ideas on the website, where other users would then view the idea and rate it up or down. Some sort of ranking system would exist to handle ideas as they are voted up or down. As the best ideas made their way to the top, they would be displayed somewhere on the website, in a place visible to all users of the website. If the organization operating the website were significant enough, it may have the connections necessary to convey the top ideas to other organizations that may be able to turn the ideas into something, such as engineering businesses/firms, research institutions, political organizations, etc.

I am thinking a system of points would be necessary to make this idea work. Any user wishing to submit an idea would need to spend, say, 10 points in order to do so. In order to earn the points necessary to submit ideas, users would rate other ideas. This would ensure that all ideas get a fair chance at being voted upon.

This idea could be turned into a business opportunity, too. Participating users could sign an electronic non-disclosure agreement before participating, and company operating the website would file the top ideas for patents. Later, the company would sell the rights to said patents for money, and pay out a royalty to the individuals originating the ideas thence patented. However, this particular bit of my idea sort of goes against the "free idea sharing" nature of the rest of my idea.

What do you think of the ideas here? Perhaps something like this already exists?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 11:49 Edited at: 17th May 2015 14:17
That's called crowdsourcing. It's a terrible idea, because ideas are a dime a dozen. They're not nearly as useful as you imagine. Your idea is stupid, unless you manage to implement it and make it work, then it's cool. I'm not going to do it, because I don't believe in it and nobody else who does believe it is qualified to implement your idea the way you would.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 12:28 Edited at: 17th May 2015 12:46
Thanks. Well, maybe I can agree with you on the last main paragraph I wrote, about the patents and such. But the first part of the idea, which would get the top ideas delivered to organizations that can do something with them (no money would be paid to anyone by anyone, just free idea sharing), is better.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2015 14:05
There are lots of websites like this already.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2015 01:50
Ope, forgot to reply here yesterday. Thanks for posting those links -- I figured something of the nature indeed existed beforehand. Good to know about them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:28:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:28:40