Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Forum Constitution Ratification Vote

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2015 21:10 Edited at: 13th Jun 2015 06:45
Greetings -- as many of you know, I have drafted a constitution, with the input of others, that I believe will make the roles of president and vice president more effective and productive. The constitution has one goal -- to make the forum a better place. In very short summary, the constitution
1) Gives the president and vice president a duty to try and make the forum a better place
2) Grants an impeachment power to the community, that the community may enforce the presidents' duties
3) Creates a set of mechanisms to structure and handle situations such as elections, impeachments, ratifications, presidential absences, etc.
I don't believe this constitution is necessary, but I believe it would be a fun and entertaining thing.

The last article of the constitution specifies that a 5 day voting period shall be allowed for the ratification of the constitution. If during that period it receives a majority vote from those who voted, it is to be ratified and deemed valid. I encourage all of you to read it before voting on it -- however, for those who do not wish to read it in its entirety, I have compiled a highly collapsed version of the constitution to be read.

FULL CONSTITUTION
PREAMBLE
For the general welfare of the TGC Community Forum, we, the members thereof, find it necessary that a constitution be enacted to regulate the elections, duties, terms, and impeachments of the Presidents and Vice Presidents of the TGC Forum.

ARTICLE 1 -- Elections
Any community member may choose to enter candidacy for president. Each candidate shall, upon their announcement of candidacy, select any other community member to be their vice president. Upon said selected community member’s acceptance, a ticket comprising the candidate president and their selected vice president shall exist. A one hundred and twenty hour period shall be provided during which each member of the community shall have the freedom to cast one vote for any one ticket of their choice. The ticket receiving the greatest number of points shall, forty eight hours after the end of the voting period, assume office. If more than one ticket shall receive the greatest number of votes, the active president shall choose which ticket will assume office. Upon a ticket’s assumption of office, the candidate president of said ticket shall become TGC Forum President, and the candidate president’s selected vice president shall become TGC Forum Vice President.

If the President shall exhibit an absence from the forum exceeding sixty days, if the President shall announce a resignation from his Presidency, or if the President shall be banned, he shall lose his status as President. The Vice President shall then become the President and select any other member of the community to become Vice President. Said selected community member shall become Vice President upon their acceptance.

If the Vice President shall exhibit an absence from the forum exceeding sixty days, if the Vice President shall announce a resignation from his Vice Presidency, or if the Vice President shall be banned, he shall lose his status as Vice President. The President shall then select any other member of the community to become Vice President. Said selected community member shall become Vice President upon their acceptance.

ARTICLE 2 -- Duties
It shall be the duty of the President to put forth an effort to lead, participate in, expand, add to, invigorate, and generally provide for the betterment of the community. It shall be the duty of the Vice President to, at the President’s request, assist the President in the execution of his duties. The Vice President should take care to serve as a representative of the the community to the President. The Vice President shall assume the duties of the President when the President is absent and cannot carry out his duties.

At the end of the presidential term, the President shall host and carry out an election of a new President and Vice President pursuant to Article 1.

ARTICLE 3 -- Terms and Impeachment
If any community member shall hold status as President for twelve months, pursuant to Articles 1 and 2, an election shall be held to elect a new President and Vice President.

If the community shall at any time see it fit, a forty eight hour period shall occur during which each member of the community shall have the freedom to vote for or against the impeachment of the President. If the majority of voting members shall vote for the impeachment of the President, the President shall lose his status as President. A new President shall be elected pursuant to Article 1, excepting that no new Vice President shall be elected.

If the President shall at any time see it fit, a forty eight hour period shall occur during which each member of the community shall have the freedom to vote for or against the impeachment of the Vice President. If the majority of voting members shall vote for the impeachment of the Vice President, the Vice President shall lose his status as Vice President. The President shall then select any other community member to be Vice President. Said selected community member shall become Vice President upon their acceptance.

ARTICLE 4 -- Constitutional Amendments
If the community shall at any time see it fit, a forty eight hour period shall occur during which each member of the community shall have the freedom to vote for or against an amendment to this document proposed by any member of the community. If two thirds or more of the voting members shall vote for the amendment, and if the President shall approve, the amendment shall become a valid component of this document.

ARTICLE 5 -- Enactment
If a majority of the community members voting for or against the enactment of this document within a one hundred and twenty hour period shall vote for the enactment of this document, this document shall be enacted. Upon enactment, this document shall regulate its amendment and the elections, duties, terms, and impeachments of Presidents and Vice Presidents of the TGC Forum.

COLLAPSED CONSTITUTION (not to be ratified, but identical in meaning)
ARTICLE 1 -- Elections
Anyone may nominate themselves to president. While doing so, they will choose a vice president. Upon their nominated vice president’s approval, a ticket shall be created. The presidential positions shall be handed to the ticket voted for most by the community.

If the president is gone for more than 60 days, resigns, or is banned, the vice president will take over his position and choose a new individual to become vice president.

If the vice president is gone for more than 60 days, resigns, or is banned, the president will choose a new individual to become vice president.

ARTICLE 2 -- Duties
The president’s duty is to put forth an effort to better the forum. The vice president shall help him do this. The vice president shall take over for the president when the president is unable to to carry out his duties.

The president shall carry out an election at the end of his term.

ARTICLE 3 -- Terms & Impeachment
A president’s term is limited to 12 months.

The community may vote to impeach the president, at which point a new president will be elected.

The community may vote to impeach the vice president, at which point the president will choose another individual to become vice president.

ARTICLE 4 -- Constitutional Amendments
If the community votes in favor of any amendment proposed to the constitution, said amendment will become a part of of the constitution.

ARTICLE 5 -- Enactment
If the community votes so, this constitution will regulate the its amendment and the elections, duties, terms, and impeachments of the presidents.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Voting shall begin at 19:00:00 6/12/15 GMT (a little over 50 minutes after this thread is posted). Voting shall end at 19:00:00 6/17/15 GMT. Votes cast outside of this period shall not be counted as valid. Each person may vote one time, and cannot change their vote once cast. This thread is strictly for voting, so please keep all discussions to other threads.

In order to be ratified, the constitution needs a majority vote of those who vote. As such, your opinion will make no difference unless you vote, be it for or against the constitution.

Vote away!

"I've just added you to my sig list." - budokaiman
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2015 21:30 Edited at: 12th Jun 2015 21:31
Oh my god kill yourself already so that I can reign supreme with no competition.

Points! Points! Points!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2015 22:08
I hereby cast my vote for the ratification of the constitution!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2015 03:42
tldr. Is there even enough people here to warrant this?

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
There is not.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2015 07:03
Well sheesh, you guys ought to vote against it then!

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2015 16:14
Quote: "6/17/15"

Which month is the 17th?

Points! Points! Points!
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 07:52
Yep, that's the standard format here in the country of logical units and formats.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 12:42
Quote: "Yep, that's the standard format here in the country of logical units and formats."

Strange, I don't know of a single country using the metric system that also uses a date system where the order of time units is seemingly random (medium-small-large) instead of ordered.

Points! Points! Points!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 13:10
Vote for me, and I vow to change to a more logical system!

"16th June, 2015" does indeed make more sense, in my opinion, and I'm even American and acknowledge that, unlike my opponent!

I also say "maths" every now and then and people look at me like I'm crazy, but it makes so much sense, since there are so many different kinds of mathematics.

ANYWAY - Seeing as it's been days that this thread has existed and noone is voting either way, I think we should perhaps move on to the actual voting thread for the Presidential race, yes?

Think YodamanJer, Think Clonkex, GAIN POINTS!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 19:45
Quote: "Strange, I don't know of a single country using the metric system that also uses a date system where the order of time units is seemingly random (medium-small-large) instead of ordered."
Yeah, it is pretty odd. The website I saw said that the US is the only major country to use the date format we do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:38:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:38:35