Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Final Fantasy VII Remake

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2015 20:41
I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet!

http://tnw.me/Hz7q614

Points! Points! Points!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2015 01:49 Edited at: 17th Jun 2015 01:51
...I'd rather they remade VIII. But dang does the CGi look good.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2015 04:38
Quote: "I'd rather they remade VIII."

Same. 8 always seemed so under appreciated.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2015 04:53
I played through VIII last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, although for me VII really was the most special. Maybe if this is successful they'll think about remaking VIII and IX?

Points! Points! Points!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2015 21:52
That would be really cool if they did. I am still taking this with a pinch of salt because SE could mess it up, but they do have Kitase working on it, so one can hope they pull it off.

But messing with a classic can be risky, because you can easily make folk rage. That said, all those ragers, could *JUST* buy a copy of the original anyway...not like the end of the world.

But VII, VIII and IX were my favourites. For the MMO's, I did love XI and I don't really see them doing a remake or an update of that on its engine and graphics. It is still going and still being updated after 13 years and manages to sustain enough of a subscription to stay PayToPlay, despite STILL having Playstation 2 restrictions.

And given SE's complete turn around from Final Fantasy XIV to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, where the game was a huge flop, they listened to the player base and basically remade the game to suit it player base (expansion is out this month, with early access this friday) I am confident in SE's abilities to make a good game out of the remake. Granted I was not a fan of XIII, they managed to improve the sequels based on feedback, even if I still don't favour that part of the series, I say kudos. And FFXV is looking like it will be a really interesting game.

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2015 08:56
"We can’t have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn," Nomura said.

"That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there."

Well there goes all the excitement I had. It better not be anything like those rubbish XIII games. I grew up playing Final Fantasy as a kid and past X they just didn't feel like Final Fantasy.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2015 17:32
Quote: "
But messing with a classic can be risky, because you can easily make folk rage. That said, all those ragers, could *JUST* buy a copy of the original anyway...not like the end of the world. "

Aye ^^ more content, is always good content if you ask me.
If it doesnt turn out good, then just don't buy it ^^

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2015 23:55
Apparently it's going to be more of a reimagining... http://www.vg247.com/?p=534269&preview=true

... With completely changed gameplay by the sounds of it. I guess I don't mind, we always have the original for nostalgia.

Points! Points! Points!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2015 19:44
I think this is fair enough and what people should expect. There will be many who'll be expecting the same game with better graphics.

This is where it could make or break. But as you rightly say, however this game turns out, you will still have the original. Of course, you could end up with an awesome reimagining of the game that will be worth playing. If it sucks, you lose nothing, if it's awesome, then you gain a lot.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Jun 2015 07:31 Edited at: 21st Jun 2015 07:32
Just saying... but remember, when they originally made the game, there was a phase of Let's do this, that this and that oooh and this... followed swiftly by... we have limited time, budget, capacity to entertain that idea...

In other words, they may be adding things that might have made the original game ever more better, and also thought up some stuff over the years too...

So I am both interested in the remake, and also dreading the idea of it being different other than visually...

But if they do a good job and have a bigger respectable budget... then perhaps just maybe they pull off a Golden Phoenix...

The other thing however, If they make it networked MMO style................... HECK NO! [Speculation is irritating but often true it must be noted...]

EDIT

Also, this silly PS4 tie-in....... I hope they make the PC version an original and not a crappy port... even though technically speaking it uses the same code base... presumably...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 11:20
Talking of Final Fantasys, I have been hooked to the new expansion for XIV that came out last week, with the new jobs too (like Dark Knight) and now, I can pretend I'm Cloud Strife:

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 11:30
FFXIV is the MMO right?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 15:14
It is indeed and it is a lot of fun too. I've been playing it since BETA and still loving it.

They've brought in a lot of cool stuff with it, of course you've got the job system (current jobs: Warrior, Paladin, Monk, Ninja, Dragoon, White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner, Scholar, Bard, Dark Knight, Astrologian (like a Time Mage) and Mechanist). You've also got big fights with loads of the summons from the series, referred to as the Primals, so Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, Leviathan, King Mog, Garuda, Titan and in the expansion they've added Bismarck and made up new one, Ravana (who I beat the other day) and have intentions of adding more in the updates to come. They keep the game regularly updated with new content. We've now got chocobo racing, triple triad, golden saucer, housing, chocobo breeding, flying chocobos, airship building & ventures and the loyalty rewards aren't so bad either. For example, that cloud strife set there is a loyalty reward.

I mean, there's areas I would still improve the game, but it is a great game and does a lot right that other MMO's don't, for example, it is really friendly in design to new players and you don't actually feel like you want to grind. I am enjoying the casual stroll through level 50 to 60 in the new expansion and not getting bored of it.

They also make the content challenging and caters both to casual and hard core players, as testament, through out the pre-expansion content, they had 2 sets of end-game raids going, The Crystal Tower (yep, FFIII reference) which caters to more casual players and also The Binding Coil of Bahamut, which is the much more challenging set of raids that ends on...defeating Bahamut. Sound track is good in places, but in the new expansion, Nobuo has had a much bigger influence in it. And the areas in the game in general look amazing and they've done really well with the atmosphere of places, especially in the expansion.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 15:49 Edited at: 28th Jun 2015 15:49
Cool...

However... Like all or most MMOs I do not feel like committing to ~£100 a year....... Especially not when they ask for something like ~£50 up front too...

What is the monthly bill for it? Sterling of course

EDIT

And the upfront too...

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 16:13
Very exciting development. Can't wait to see what Jenova looks like!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 16:34 Edited at: 28th Jun 2015 17:15
Given the amount of content you get and how regularly they give you new content, I find the monthly worth it. I have mine on a 3 monthly subscription and I just paid mine, and it took £25 out of the bank.

The upfront cost is (non-collectors edition):

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (base game) - £9.99 on Steam
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (Expansion) - £29.99 on Steam.

Given the amount of stuff you get per expansion is equal a new game, the pricing is the same.

From any MMO's I've played, they've been really good at making sure you're getting what you're paying for.

However, they have a free trial: http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/en/?utm_source=lodestone&utm_medium=pc_buyarea&utm_campaign=eu_freetrial

If it tickled your fancy, I run a group on the Balmung server.

The story is good in the game, though Heavensward's is much better and the stuff before Heavensward has filler, especially once you hit level 50. But then takes interesting turn leading to Heavensward and Heavensward's story has thus far been a nice improvement.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 17:04 Edited at: 28th Jun 2015 17:05
Hmm...

That works out still at £8.33~ a month... too steep for something I will likely play alone, and also play very little of :/

I do want to play it, but the time commitment :/

I always wanted to play FFXI

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 17:18 Edited at: 28th Jun 2015 18:29
XI is still pay to play and is priced the same per month. I loved XI to pieces, but it is a big time sink, literally, you can lose hours and not notice it, because it takes hours to get stuff done in it. XIV doesn't have that problem, but I much prefer the job system of FFXI as XIV has taken a leaf from the book of other popular MMOs like SW:TOR and WoW, but still makes it own mark.

However, I have a load of FFXIV videos I have uploaded, if it helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5FTFd9X8mA&list=PLy2dsuLQvVMLbVxaDIpf-KCSDq_sYlOOZ

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 19:40
Woo videos!

Perhaps I should just bite the missile and build my own lol 😁

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:10:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:10:38