Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What is your best party game?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 16:22
I think this is a good place to see what game people think is the best party game they have ever played amongst friends and family all over the world.

I always like to play a game of Consequences, where by a group of people are given a piece of paper and must contribute an answer to a set list of questions relating to two famous or locally known individuals which in the end builds up an interesting and humerous storyline. You could not go wrong with a a game of musical chairs either, it seems the more simple the more people are encouraged to get involved; I must admit a little Wii Sports is not so bad either.

So what do you play with your house guests or room mates?

Please do not tell me Call of Duty; something not so hardcore, preferably something with a pen or paper or either with just spoken word; but it can be a video game if it is a party game or social game.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 17:49

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 17:53
Rock Band 2 - Best party game ever conceived

Really it's only videogames these days, but it is fun to play older games as well as new. Like Super Sprint on the Atari ST, or Sensible Soccer, SF2, etc on the SNES. Let's face it, party games are a 90's thing, so stay retro I say.

If we aren't playing games, then it would probably just be a game of poker or Monopoly.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 18:39
Pictionary. Very 90s but still good.
Texas Hold 'Em Yahtzee. Good to get the kids addicted to gambling early in life.
Cranium. A good mix of lots of popular games all mixed into one game.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 20:53
Cards Against Humanity is a good one.

Found a game called Coup, basically a kind of strategic form of the game "BS". Lots of fun, usually fairly quick as well.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2015 21:24
Video games, but I've had lots of fun with super monkey ball on gamecube (the mini games are great with friends), and virtua tennis on dreamcast- 4 player. Settlers of catan and monopoly are pretty great if video games aren't an option.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2015 15:25 Edited at: 27th Jun 2015 15:27
Lovely examples! Video games are very much an option; just not mainstream hardcore games like Call of Duty.

These examples bring back memories; I forgot to mention Worms, Time Splitters 2, Mario Kart, Mario Olympics, Smash Bros (although somewhat hardcore), Micro Machines as nice party video games. Even WWE and Need for Speed Underground was nice to play together with a group 10 years ago.

Rock Band 2 looks like great fun.

Taboo and Pictionary (as mentioned by Batvink) were nice classic group games back in the 90s. I enjoyed me some and Ludo

Coup and Game Against Humanity seem pretty cool for when there is no feasible computer to play video games on.

So no one plays any facebook games then? Cool, so no need for me to feel ashamed of not playing any either lol.

Thanks

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 02:44
I don't even have a Facebook account :p

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2015 14:40
Quote: "I forgot to mention Worms"

Excellent party game, I now have Worms 3 on my Android phone, just waiting for my daughter to install it. With my Chromecast, I can play in 42" HD

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2015 20:33
Quote: "I don't even have a Facebook account :p"

I created my account to see what all of the fuss was about back in 2004; I've logged in about 10 times ever since...

Quote: "I now have Worms 3 on my Android phone, just waiting for my daughter to install it. With my Chromecast, I can play in 42" HD"

Best strategic party game ever! Although I've not played the 3rd release.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2015 21:34
I haven't played any board games for years, well i don't think i have been in a party recently either, but me and some friends used to play Taboo and some other card games that i don't remember the names now. Also we used to play Risk like maniacs. That was a very competitive game, easy to get addicted to.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 08:00 Edited at: 6th Jul 2015 08:33
if you like Risk, you should check out Conquer Club

One of the best risk sites online, tons of different maps and game modes, tournaments and the like.

I was really active on there a while back but haven't played in a year or so.

back to topic - another good casual party game is a dice game which goes by many names: 10000, farkle, zilch and probably others.

the goal is to reach a score of 10k, any number of players is fine.

you roll 7 dice. you score 100 points for each 1, 50 points for each 5, nothing else scores unless you roll a three of a kind. if you roll 3 of any number you can take them as a set for 100 x die number (example, three 3s = 300) while a set of three 1s = 1000.

on each roll, you have to have at least 1 scoring die or your turn is over and you lose any points for dice that you had set aside that turn. you can set any number of scoring dice aside to count towards your score and continue rolling the remaining dice. If you manage to set aside all 7 dice, you can reroll all of them to continue going.

you have to set aside at least 1 scoring die to reroll the rest. after setting aside a scoring die, you can choose to stop rolling to add the dice that have been set aside to your score and end your turn.

you have to roll 1000 or more in a turn to 'get on the board' meaning until you have set aside at least 1000 points you cant choose to stop rolling and take whatever points you have. (you can't stop at 800 if you are not on the board) however, once you have gotten on the board, you can stop at any scoring value.

another favorite of ours is "To Court the King" which is kind of like yahtzee but where you can pick up cards that give you special abilities to modify your rolls in various ways.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2015 20:53
I was introduced into Magic The Gathering by a colleague today; seems like a more serious card game for competitive play. It is very popular and some of the collectable cards in this game are worth $1,000s.

http://magic.wizards.com/

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2015 03:52 Edited at: 16th Jul 2015 03:53
heh, yeah I think I still have a couple of boxes in MTG cards in the closet from the mid and late 90s. it was a great game but i haven't played it since 99 or 00

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2015 14:59 Edited at: 19th Jul 2015 15:01
There's a lot of PC games that are great for 4 players, with people sitting around yelling at the screen with you. We've played a lot of them on our channel (Flash Buddies) recently Here's links to some of our videos of our favourite 4-player party games (in no particular order):

- Rocket League (highly recommended)
- Starwhal
- Gang Beasts
- Screencheat
- Brawlhalla
- Towerfall Ascension

Obviously the TV is the best place to play, so either bring out your main PC to hook up to the TV or sit a laptop in front, hook the TV up to the laptop and then use Steam in-home streaming to stream the games to your laptop (and therefore the TV).

Also, 360 controllers are the best for these types of games, so buy a $15 Xbox controller receiver for PC from eBay and use that

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 18:19 Edited at: 20th Jul 2015 18:22
That looks like a fantastic youtube channel Clonkex; I will subscribe to it now and check out your videos from time to time. I saw the one with RTCW; that brought back sweet memories of Axis/Allied multiplayer weekends. It was a decent multiplayer FPS game, to be honest they should have put more into it; it could have developed into an ID software version of Counter Strike.

Some of the games I tend to watch on YouTube are 7 Days to Die, Minecraft, World of Warcraft, CSGO, GTA5, Street Fighter 4, MTG, Portal 2 and Dota 2.

If you want to boost your viewcount, post some gaming tutorials or new game reviews; they are quite popular search keywords.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2015 03:13
Quote: "That looks like a fantastic youtube channel Clonkex;"

Thanks! We really appreciate that!

Quote: "Some of the games I tend to watch on YouTube are 7 Days to Die, Minecraft, World of Warcraft, CSGO, GTA5, Street Fighter 4, MTG, Portal 2 and Dota 2."

We could check out 7 Days to Die probably. Never taken much notice of that game. More likely we'd do a video on Reign of Kings before 7 Days to Die (we're thoroughly enjoying RoK).

We're a bit loath to do any Minecraft videos because EVERYONE does Minecraft and we're not convinced we can add anything new or interesting to the format. WoW is extremely... ah, I don't even want to consider WoW. I tried getting into it a few weeks ago but the world and history of the game is just so enormous...

CSGO is too FPS. Not really Flash Buddies style (yet, anyway).

GTAV... again, EVERYONE does GTAV videos.

We're not playing Street Fighter. Never been fans of those kinds of games.

Never even heard of MTG and it sounds... slow.

Portal 2 is only 2-player, but I have considered a new video format where only two of us play and the other two comment.. dunno about that one.

DotA 2 is too complicated for the two younger members of Flash Buddies to manage lol

Quote: "If you want to boost your viewcount, post some gaming tutorials or new game reviews; they are quite popular search keywords."

Good suggestion. We've been wanting to add some new types of videos to the two videos we release every week. We've been planning some live-action stuff, but game tutorials and reviews are a good idea too. I've spent hours working out how to change offline Minecraft usernames AND keep skins for all versions up to 1.8 (where I still haven't figured out how to do it due to large skin-server changes) for internet-free LAN play - maybe that would be a good tutorial?

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2015 18:26
MTG can be quite fast to very very slow, it depends on how many players, the type of decks/strategies they are playing and how interested they are in arguing about the rules and card text. half the fun was in the often heated debate.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2015 13:48
If you have an Xbox or 360, then Doom3 is great, not for Doom3, but the split screen Doom1/2 that comes with it. It's seriously a lot of fun, even these days.

Maybe playing some old school split screen games would make for some interesting videos - especially if you put something like Doom2 on a hard difficulty, so you have to work together. That's the sort of gameplay videos that I'd watch - I really don't get much from watching one person playing through a game... might as well just play the game myself.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2015 14:57
Quote: "Maybe playing some old school split screen games would make for some interesting videos - especially if you put something like Doom2 on a hard difficulty, so you have to work together. That's the sort of gameplay videos that I'd watch - I really don't get much from watching one person playing through a game... might as well just play the game myself."

If you're talking to me, all of our Flash Buddies videos are played by all 4 of us. I.e. we play 4-player games. If the game isn't split-screen, we record four different videos and four different audio streams and do a multi-cam edit (at the quality of Hat Films or Yogscast videos!), switching between video streams as necessary to show off the most interesting/funny sections of each player's perspective.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2015 22:58
my brother and I loved some split screen golden eye back in the day

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 07:10
We played a new awesome party game on Friday called Duck Game. Highly recommended, especially recommended if you want a massive Mega Drive/80's nostalgia hit! (that MUSIC!!)

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2015 02:23 Edited at: 25th Aug 2015 02:28
Star Wars Battlefront II, better still if you have the XBOX copy as that supports 4 player split-screen.

And it is fully compatible with Xbox 360's, the only drawback is that the XBOX version of the game is rather expensive. But totally worth it

Then if you have a Wii U, you've got Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Wii Party U, Nintendoland amongst others. Wii U is great for parties.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2015 14:28
Quote: "And it is fully compatible with Xbox 360's, the only drawback is that the XBOX version of the game is rather expensive."

Ah, now THAT depends on which model of 360 you have. We were unable to get our newer Slim model to play an original Xbox game, and M$ support was unable to help at all. Our sisters' older 360 fat played the game just fine. Haven't tested since we got the E model through insurance.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:55:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:55:31