Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How many people still use fpsc ?

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

Its been a while since I posted on this forum as I been very busy with real life and have sort of moved over to GG.

I was wondering how many of you still use fpsc ?

Would you like to see back for download any of my product's ?

Is there any bugs you felt should of been dealt with ?

Please post on this thread and depending on the response will see what I can do.

Best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Tectonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2015 19:26 Edited at: 26th Jun 2015 19:40
Welcome Back s4real,

I did a call out for you here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=21&t=211836&p=1

While everyone acknowledges that GG is new and cool and stuff, we have tons of stuff for FPSC Classic, and it still can make a pretty descent game.

I for one would like to get some of your products, especially Zeta. Nomad Mod has added new life to FPSC and your product will make it even better.

Also recently I was able to get a hold of Vishnu Packer 9.3 - while not completely flawless, it gets the job done pretty well.

So, it is pretty safe to say that we can still use your products here and would like to get them again. You will find that there is a core of serious developers still here, who would be very happy to see you back here again. So don't be a stranger.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2015 21:50
Hi S4real, nice to see you. I'm still using classic.
I also mainly use Nomad Mod. I have GG but I think I'll stick with classic for now. Lua is to hard and complicated for me to learn now.
I'll stick with this.
A few people recently have asked for 3rd person scripts. I recall
you did some work on that? (your Zeta mod if I'm right)

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2015 21:51
I really like your Zeta mod. I also think your Vishnu products are amaizing. And all the stuff you have done for this community, you are one of the few who deserves a round of our claws. If there are any bugs left or not, hammering out whatever is possible and making it the final update would really leave a legacy in Classic. And as this forum is almost dead and only a few of us would be here to celebrate the 10th aniversary of Classic really makes me sad. So if want to do something, Godspeed sir!

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2015 00:53
I still use classic. I have GG also. I think you will see more people drifting back to classic from GG while it's being worked on.

I agree about the 3rd person script. I would love to see you improve it. I have zeta and evta(?) mod.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 27th Jun 2015 02:09
S4real,

I'm not doing much with FPSC ATM, but I intend to dive back in at the end of the summer when my work season ends. I have some ideas that I want to try out and make some new content as well. I would love to see an updated MOD that deals with performance. As some others here, I'm a die-hard classic fan and anything you bring to the party will be well used and appreciated.

Brian.

I'm sorry. My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
All Downloads are now HERE
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2015 03:12
Im still here. kinda back and forth.

mk83 Productions
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2015 06:30
Quote: "I was wondering how many of you still use fpsc ?"

We're here- just lurking silently. Too much invested into FPSC to just leave it.

Quote: "Is there any bugs you felt should of been dealt with ?"

There is one that had come up here regarding the "multiplayer gameserver". I offered a fix that worked for myself in v1.17 vanilla, just after we were told in the thread that it was "believed to be fixed". I replicated the exact issue in v1.18 and v1.19 and after contacting Lee, he sent me these "files" that supposedly were used in reference from the original source. After some testing it seemed to be missing a couple of items (let alone the actual SQL database layout) that is called upon, so I finally rewrote the section of code in question in my own source to strip out the TGC "gameserver" connection and used my own method of providing what is needed.

In a nutshell, there is no support for Classic and the "fix" offered in the aforementioned thread did not fix anything for some users. This has left those users wanting to work in multiplayer in a bit of a corner on their own, particularly when they cannot/do not mod their own source. If you (or someone else) are planning to do further fixes, that would be something to note and look at if time permits.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2015 17:06
Good answer black fox.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2015 18:06
You could attempt some bullet tracers, timer based bullet hit, heck! Try projectiles for bullets! Also, if the vweaps could be made to support shaders. And the melle key could be brought to the setup.ini to be configured there along with the mouse buttons and weapon scrolling. And head bobbing along with a player hit back effect when shot or attacked. Or particle muzzleflashes. But these are just suggestions. Hammering out any performance and memory consumption issues is what is requires the most attention along with better culling.

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2015 18:38 Edited at: 27th Jun 2015 18:39
I'm still using FPSC, unmodded. Although I've tried a lot of your releases, I've never felt the need to use them. But it would be great to keep working on FPSC to make it stable and flawless

Utinni !
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Seem there a few people still using the old beast.

The first thing is to get the source up and running and take it from there, I wasn't planning on adding to many new features as this time but see how things go.

Performance has always been a hard one to improve in fpsc due to the way its coded but might have some tricks.

To increase performance switching of full screen shader off will help you increase your framerate by almost twice as much.(but many of you will know this.)

Been in contact with tgc today and they confirm that multiplayer server is being hosted, did a fast test and seems to be working fine at the moment.
I'm not planning on working too much with multiplayer at this moment in time but maybe in the future if its too much of a problem.

Just see how stable fpsc is at the moment and take it from there.

Thanks for the reply didn't expect to see how many people still using fpsc.

Time to dig up the last source and see where I got to.

Best s4real

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 15:10 Edited at: 28th Jun 2015 15:19
For me FPSC is a weird mixture of an old habit, an addiction and enjoying to see my favorite movies again and again.

I might ignore FPSC for several weeks only to fire the engine up on a friday evening and work until sunday night on some scripts or whatsnot

And regarding GameGuru, I've spent 200+ hours on the EA version and honestly, I'm not willing to go again through years of waiting for a fully working final version with contemporary features only to see the engine get shot down for a new shiny toy.

But I'm afraid there will be a point where FPSC will not longer work with current windows or directx versions and then we'll have reached the end of the line

Quote: "Just see how stable fpsc is at the moment and take it from there."

Imo the current unofficial version is the most bugfree, stable and memory friendly in a long time. And honestly, I wouldn't care to add anything fancy that might change that.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 16:30
I'd love to see the engine getting better! And s4real, I used your beta updates of 1.20.019 and for some weird reason I am not able to jump at a place constantly. Like, I press space to jump but I don't if I stay at a place for more that a second. Also, great work on fixing those shader issues on 1.20.018!

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 16:43 Edited at: 28th Jun 2015 16:56
Quote: "Been in contact with tgc today and they confirm that multiplayer server is being hosted, did a fast test and seems to be working fine at the moment.
"

I would daresay the OP of the thread I mentioned would disagree, as would a school that had us provide two developments in multiplayer. The school dev's were strictly vanilla and still do not work (they do now using my source though as I rewrote the block that deals with multiplayer entirely by stripping out the method that was used originally). Even a dev in v1.16 has the same reported problem, so the multiplayer server being hosted has not fixed the issue. I even tried to host these "files" Lee sent me on our server and "changed the source code to point to the new server" as he suggested but still the issue persists. Something is missing somewhere, and it was just as easy for me to rewrite that section entirely in my source- which helped to fix a few other deployed developments in a couple of other schools that had the issue but ran the same FPSC version as us. This reminds me of the elusive "waiting to join" bug that was reportedly fixed, and yet that can still be reproduced.

I only mentioned this to you because A) you asked about bugs; B) the OP in the mentioned thread still has the issue and is not even getting any response on the matter. If TGC were kind enough to report to you, perhaps they could take time to deal with the OP of the thread in Bug Reports and help another customer out, not just say "problem fixed" and walk away.

Quote: "Thanks for the reply didn't expect to see how many people still using fpsc."

I think there are still quite a few, although I would guess that a lot are using the "free" version (or purchased upgrade) in which errors reported are caused by that version rather than the full version some of us have worked in for years.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Tectonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 18:11
@BlackFox

It would be great if you can provide us non-source programmers with a Mod that would allow bug-free enhanced multi-player capabilities.

Even better still, if this Mod can incorporate the features of Zeta Mod - these are things that dreams are made of.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2015 19:02 Edited at: 28th Jun 2015 19:03
Quote: "I would daresay the OP of the thread I mentioned would disagree, as would a school that had us provide two developments in multiplayer. The school dev's were strictly vanilla and still do not work (they do now using my source though as I rewrote the block that deals with multiplayer entirely by stripping out the method that was used originally). Even a dev in v1.16 has the same reported problem, so the multiplayer server being hosted has not fixed the issue. I even tried to host these "files" Lee sent me on our server and "changed the source code to point to the new server" as he suggested but still the issue persists. Something is missing somewhere, and it was just as easy for me to rewrite that section entirely in my source- which helped to fix a few other deployed developments in a couple of other schools that had the issue but ran the same FPSC version as us. This reminds me of the elusive "waiting to join" bug that was reportedly fixed, and yet that can still be reproduced.
"

I might have to ask you for some help in this matter as I have not worked with the multiplayer side much and being you already have a working workaround help in this matter would be fully grateful.Also got to get back up to speed with dbp as not touched it for sometime.

Quote: "I'd love to see the engine getting better! And s4real, I used your beta updates of 1.20.019 and for some weird reason I am not able to jump at a place constantly. Like, I press space to jump but I don't if I stay at a place for more that a second. Also, great work on fixing those shader issues on 1.20.018!"

V1.20.018 had some major issue what I can remb it is best to use v1.20.017a with my unoffcial.If you still have the bug I would need a map example with the problem.

thanks everyone for the reply's and good to see you blackfox been a long time.

best s4real

VRG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 09:47
I am still using FPSC, creating a series of one level games which are connected to each other.
sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2015 16:13
Hi,
I still use FPSC from time to time, I do most of my games in unity 5 now.

Life is not fair, so deal with it.
http://www.gusworks.com/
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 03:22
Still use it, still working on my game with the little time I have. Still going strong with it.

Intel Core i5 3570, Nvidia Gefocre GTX 770 2048MB, 16GB RAM, H77M-PRO , Windows 8 x64
Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2015 17:28 Edited at: 6th Jul 2015 17:30
I like making war themed games and while Gameguru might be better suited for it later on - I have way too many assets and way too much experience/know-how to just abandon FPSC. I'm still using X9 until Gameguru is ATLEAST on a level field with it...

Proof: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=213171&b=25

-Winner of the X10 Revival Competition, Susysyay
"I'm havin' too good a time today, I ain't even thinkin' bout tomorrow."
Kafoolwho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2015 10:35
Still have my original disk I bought several years ago from a local software store, and still play around with it quite regularly. FPSC is still pretty awesome.
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2015 04:36
Insomnia is coming is still an active project here, using Nomad mod.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 09:50:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 09:50:42