Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Rendering background images

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello-

I am interested in purchasing AppGameKit but had some questions first on its features.

How exactly are background images rendered? I've browsed some of the example AppGameKit projects (in particular, the one where you move a character on a football pitch) and it seems to imply that the background is just a large sprite. Although, in the football example, the background is actually two sprites.

In the game I envision, play takes place on a scroll-able tile-based map. I would like the map to be a single scroll-able image that is created based on tile data I read from a file when the map loads. So I would start with a blank image and then draw tiles onto it as I read them from a file. This way the map only needs to be updated once. I had tried using App Inventor to make a tile-based game, but it required the use of a sprite for each tile, and I could not move even half a dozen such sprites around together without significant tearing.

Goo Goo G'Joob!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2015 10:44 Edited at: 16th Jul 2015 10:45
The tile based approach is what you would use. There are commands to make sure tearing doesn't occur, and AppGameKit handles lots of sprites very fast. You essentially lay down only the tiles that are visible, and remove them again when they go off-screen.

Now is the time to buy AppGameKit with lots of tile-based resources too, for only $12 - https://www.humblebundle.com/. Offer expires 21 July.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Eqqman
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you.

I went and bought AppGameKit direct from the website for $66 before I saw this answer. I had seen adverts for buying from humble bundle but when I clicked on the link it didn't take me to any place showing AGK. The website design was so frenetic it looked like a malware dump so I decided to play it safe and buy direct.

Goo Goo G'Joob!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:35:30
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:35:30