Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / .x file and multilayer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm playng with the .x file format, it's easy to read and modify.

i wonder if someone know how to implement multilayer textures in .x.
or, maybe, have a .x file with multilayer to study on.

i try to explain more:

this is the way to create a material

in this section we can assign the material to a face:

but i can't figure how to assign more than one texture layer to a single face..

anybody does?

Lucka - gawteam coder - www.gawgames.com
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2015 17:34
do you mean for dbpro's texture stages, for example applying diffuse, specular, and normal maps?

I'm not sure that you can directly in .x

Lucka
Years of Service
User Offline
i think it too.

i'd like to get a look on the .dbo file specs.. are available somewhere?

Lucka - gawteam coder - www.gawgames.com
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 17th Jul 2015 01:58
Quote: "i'd like to get a look on the .dbo file specs.. are available somewhere?"

Not sure if this leads to what you need, but have a look in your DBPro/Help/Documents folder.

Powered by Free Banners
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2015 02:26 Edited at: 17th Jul 2015 02:35
Looking at a mesh with multiple uv's created by memblock that is then saved as a mesh .x file, you should find a section within the brackets of the mesh data and is located at the end of all mesh data that reads something like this in notepad;

FVFData {
338;
18;
and so on
}

First value is fvf code, second value is how many total u+v coords there are(ie above 18=9 pairs of coords which for a single triangle would be 3 pairs per vertex thus 3 additional texture stages 1 2 and 3). The rest of values after this would of course be the uv coords. Although they are dword values they are converted back into floats. Also within the mesh data section you will find TextureCoords section. This only lists the first stage texture coords(at stage 0) and this time is in float format, but the rest(1 to 7) are put into the FVFData section all as dwords. This has something to do with the templates defined at the beginning of the file. But this is how dbp produces them which could be different to x files from other sources.

Sadly you cannot load these saved .x files back as anything other than meshes, they don't work correctly as objects for some reason..in these mesh .x files the fvf code is always wrong. This is possibly a dbp bug though am not sure. It might be possible you can just write this info into your object .x file and it works, I don't know and have not bothered trying in past, but felt you might want to give it a whirl if it suits your needs. You may need to right the fvf template in as well - I don't know that either, any saved mesh file should give you a template to copy from though.

If you check this link there are 2 downloads, 1 by hotline of a model that has what you ask of with 2 textures and the data does at a glance act as I suggest above, but its difficult to wade through with my eyesight so you may wish to take a look at that - it has a fair number of vertices. The other download is by me which is just dbp code for a single poly memblock mesh(4 textures) which you can alter the code to save the mesh of and then look at that x file as the layout is much easier on the eyes than the one hotline produced (in 3ds max I think). It might help you get a better grip on things, for example working out if the uv data is laid out for all uvs for vertex 1 and so on or if its laid out as vertex 1 stage 1 uvs followed by vertex 2 and then after cycle is completed the second stage for vertex 1 etc.

edit forgot link!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=211829&b=1
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 17th Jul 2015 03:19 Edited at: 17th Jul 2015 03:22
I think the issue concerns multiple materials and texture layers, not multiple sets of UV data.

I didn't know there was a problem with meshes saved with multiple sets of UV.

Just checked your link and found this post:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=211829&b=1&msg=2529412#m2529412

Well, who am I to argue?