Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Just bought my own home!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2015 15:01 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2015 15:21
Hi all,
I have been a bit quiet lately on the forum. part of it is having no internet after having moved, part of it is resettling.

Now I am finding my feet. I am coming to terms with the fact of the matter...

To put it in perspective, here in Australia we have something we call the great Australian dream... It is the great Australian dream because for many it can never be a reality. I have taken steps to make it a reality. It is not acceptable to gloat but I still wish to share my achievement with my fellow forumites...
I just settled on a home and now am officially a home owner!!!
Granted in Australia a homeowner more often than not means someone who owes the bank, but now rather than throwing rent money into oblivion, I now have a number that ticks down until thirty years from now it stops and I only owe rates and body corp!

It is the biggest achievement of my life so far! Again, I do not wish to gloat or rub it in to others(I am painfully aware that some on here are in strife right now(sorry for the timing mate)), but damn, this is awesome!!!! I only wish to share my joy and achievement with my peers and friends.

And so I share it with you all, This is a big one.

Pics to come as I make it my own.

Edit: View from my balcony.
[img][/img]

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2015 20:32
Congrats man. Alas, to be a homeowner here in the United States also usually means owing money to a bank. But I agree with your logic -- better to throw money for 30 years than it is to throw it into an endless oblivion.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2015 22:53
congrats man! I've had mine 6 years now and we just closed on a refinancing to a lower interest rate and shorter 20 year mortgage term. owning property and building equity is one of the best things you can do for long term success.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 23rd Jul 2015 01:48 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2015 02:41
Welcome to the club

Congrats! I did notice you were away for some time, glad to see you back!

To steal away some gloating, I think I have created a way for my DBPro apps to load in over 256 sound banks, without using any memory [Working on it in the coming week] EDIT... well... not so many but still 0 Memory just tested! Actually... 65535!

What is 'rates and body corp!'? taxes?

One thing I will say for sure is, get onto the solar panel bandwagon asap! if you intend to be there for over 20 years, it pays for itself, and hey, YOU GET PLENTY OF SUN! [not to mention if you use less than you generate, it creates income [That is, if you can sell back that excess power as we can here in the UK...]

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2015 10:32
Well a decent solar setup takes about 20k last I checked. That's a lot to spend after buying a house. Also from the height I would say you're either extremely wealthy or you got a condo, making solar impossible. Congrats, make sure you save up a ton of money every year for improvements (what do they recommend, 5k? More?), and look forward to the day when you'll pay off your mortgage and you'll be paying a huge bit less of what rent would be

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2015 10:48
Cheers guys, I am really happy to be settled in now. I might get some programing done

My rates and body corp are pretty good for being by the sea in a holiday destination. they work out to about 100 per week, my repayments are the same as my rent was, no tax because I am a first home buyer and I am living in the property.
my loan has free unlimited redraw so I am just smashing all of my wage onto the loan (minus my pocket money) and will redraw when BC and rates are due.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2015 12:43
Quote: "One thing I will say for sure is, get onto the solar panel bandwagon asap! if you intend to be there for over 20 years, it pays for itself, and hey, YOU GET PLENTY OF SUN! [not to mention if you use less than you generate, it creates income [That is, if you can sell back that excess power as we can here in the UK...]"

My mom looked into buying solar panels and we figgured out that it would take at least 15 years to make the money we would pay for the panels back.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Is 15 years really terrible for such a thing?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2015 15:09
Lovely view; it must be nice waking up to the sweet sound of ocean waves; sure beats the repetitive sound of double decker buses and police sirens.

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2015 15:26
Quote: " Well a decent solar setup takes about 20k last I checked. That's a lot to spend after buying a house. Also from the height I would say you're either extremely wealthy or you got a condo, making solar impossible. Congrats, make sure you save up a ton of money every year for improvements (what do they recommend, 5k? More?), and look forward to the day when you'll pay off your mortgage and you'll be paying a huge bit less of what rent would be "

Did you get slapped Bitjericho? Your post did not turn up until after I posted.

I am in a block of units, Just did a Google search on 'condo', yeah I'm in a condo, sounds so much fancier than unit, but the same thing. Yeah, I would need to approach body corp to draw out roof divisions for solar, I may be able to put them on my outer balcony, or maybe not, they have the say on visuals.
I am definitely gonna make some improvements, although mostly the unit is in great shape having been completely renovated 2 years before I moved into it. I took great pleasure in mounting my WiFi router, previously a act worthy of reprimand, now... "whatever, I do what I want."
Some interesting observations,

I am now more fanatical about cleaning.

A door slamming is a big deal.

Finger prints on my windows piss me off.

If a power saw starts up before nine I want to call the council.

I no longer just live here, this is my town.

May seem obvious but it was such a noticeable shift in mentality I find it noteworthy.

still stoked!

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 02:56
This "home" you bought, what is it exactly? Cause from the pic it looks like you're on the balcony of a very tall building.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 07:04
It is a unit in a block of flats.
I am on the second floor of a three floor building.
The building is on the top of a hill, which is why the view is so elevated.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 07:22
Quote: "This "home" you bought, what is it exactly? Cause from the pic it looks like you're on the balcony of a very tall building."

Quote: "I am in a block of units, Just did a Google search on 'condo', yeah I'm in a condo, "

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 25th Jul 2015 18:51
Is somebody living on the roof of that building? [Left side hut ]

Is it a shopping centre or something?

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 03:04
heheh, That's the local tavern, I had a closer look, the things that look like deck chairs are scaffold like frame things, not sure of their purpose or why they are permanently there, however I guess I am in an ideal position to eventually find out.

That pub is a local landmark so it is unlikely to ever be knocked down and turned into units. the block after that is a national park, so my view is reasonably safe.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 03:32
Haha I was thinking it but I didn't say it cuz I didn't wanna burst your bubble lol. Glad to hear it's a landmark in front of you.

I once did some work for a guy who bought a brand new home and he was so excited. Unfortunately, what he didn't realize was that it was right across from a grain elevator and where the trains stop... for hours.... while running and spewing diesel fumes and vibrations all over the neighborhood. I had a massive headache by the time I was done with the work. I didn't say anything, but I have no doubt he realized at the same time what a mistake his buy was XD

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 08:55 Edited at: 26th Jul 2015 08:59
Awesome! That'd be so cool to own a house on the coast! Of course you have the disadvantages of everything (including your car) rusting away and your windows clouding up with the salt spray, but awesome nonetheless No need to give your exact town if you don't want, but approximately where are you?

Quote: "What is 'rates and body corp!'? taxes?"

Rates is things like electricity and water, never heard of body corp before

Quote: "I am in a block of units, Just did a Google search on 'condo', yeah I'm in a condo, sounds so much fancier than unit, but the same thing."

Kind of a fancy flat, right? Regardless I've always looked at those buildings and thought how fun it would be to live in one, even with the disadvantages of living in such close proximity to other people

As much as I really love living with my family, at the same time I really can't wait to own my own house so I set up an awesome dedicated office and have a little server room Maybe I'll buy a house in Glen Innes so I'm only 45 mins from my family, but at the same time can get good internet At the same time, though, buying my own house and living on my own would be utterly terrifying. Maybe I can convince my brother to live with me, since we live together in our bus as it is

Anyway I have literally about $300 to my name right now so buying a house is still just a pipe dream

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 13:21
Cheers mate,

I live in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast, I trust you guys not to be stalky

In fact, if you guys are in the area I am happy to catch up.

Salt is a killer, but I guess it motivates me to clean my windows, and I just do the frames at the same time to slow the corrosion. I've lived near the sea for about 6 years now and haven't noticed anything too severe on my car.

Quote: "
Haha I was thinking it but I didn't say it cuz I didn't wanna burst your bubble lol. Glad to hear it's a landmark in front of you.

I once did some work for a guy who bought a brand new home and he was so excited. Unfortunately, what he didn't realize was that it was right across from a grain elevator and where the trains stop... for hours.... while running and spewing diesel fumes and vibrations all over the neighborhood. I had a massive headache by the time I was done with the work. I didn't say anything, but I have no doubt he realized at the same time what a mistake his buy was XD"

Damn, that would suck. The only Extreme noise I will get is the Caloundra music festival in the park in front of me, but they give the immediate neighbors free tickets to make up for the apparent inconvenience. I have mates who come down from Brisbane to watch it every year so I can just give them the tickets and kick back with a beer and listen to it from home.

Quote: "I really can't wait to own my own house so I set up an awesome dedicated office and have a little server room"

My spare room is going to be my studio/hobby room. It is still a long way from being set up well, I'll give it a little time to bounce back financially before I go hack on it.

Quote: "Anyway I have literally about $300 to my name right now so buying a house is still just a pipe dream "

Strangely enough that is about what I had when I decided to go for it. I had a good wage, but spent a lot on toys and trips overseas and the likes. the unit I was living in was put up for sale and I had a constant parade of people wandering around my home and after it sold I was evicted. I decided "Never again" and started looking at the real estate sites. I was talking to a mate about wanting to do it and he just happened to know the local bank manager. he told me to go in and see him. I went in and saw him about it and he told me that no bank will ever lend me money with no savings and no evidence of saving pattern. He explained a few of the details of costs associated with buying and gave me a rough idea of the plan i needed to formulate to make it a reality. Best step I took toward making it real.

My advice to you, is to book an appointment with your bank manager regardless of your situation. Tell them you are curious about buying a home but have no idea where to start or what to do, and that you would like their advice. they will ask you about your finance and bluntly tell you that right now they will not lend to you, but they will also give you a realistic idea of what you need to have in place in order to kick off.

The main point is that talking to the bank manager was the catalyst for me to actually doing it and it cost me nothing to talk to him.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 14:22
Quote: "I live in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast"

Ah cool, I'm about 5 hours south of there, in NSW but kinda near the border to QLD Northern Tablelands is what they call the area.

Quote: "I had a good wage, but spent a lot on toys and trips overseas and the likes."

Yeah, I spend way too much on tech gadgets I'm saving for a car atm though (looking at VW Golfs, usually '98 era), so no big spends and severely limited small spends until I've reached that milestone In fact I've spent so much on mostly unnecessary luxuries since getting my job a couple of months ago that without buying those things I could have bought the car already.... twice

Quote: "My advice to you, is to book an appointment with your bank manager regardless of your situation. Tell them you are curious about buying a home but have no idea where to start or what to do, and that you would like their advice. they will ask you about your finance and bluntly tell you that right now they will not lend to you, but they will also give you a realistic idea of what you need to have in place in order to kick off."

Excellent suggestion, but I won't do it just yet. I probably won't be ready to get my own house for another 2 or 3 years yet, and I have bigger immediate plans for my job and IT/programming career that, if successful, would completely disrupt any plans I make for moving out before then.

------------------

I hate having to go work 3-5 days a week, I really do (I never have enough time to do the things I want to do), but at the same time I feel like if I push hard enough I might just be able to get into an IT position at the company (PhotoCreate, if you're curious - if you've ever bought something with a custom image printed on it, there's a good chance we've produced it). Every time I think about asking more directly about an IT job, I realise I have no idea who to ask. I know nothing of the management structure of PhotoCreate other than Jon is my boss (and Team & Group Leader for Gifts) and Dan is probably Jon's boss...? And then there's Anthony, who runs around and fixes tech-related stuff who I assume is head IT guy. Ah anyway. I probably could just ask Jon, but he's so busy most of the time I don't want to bother him. Also I'm not sure whether it's normal to know the hierarchy of the company you work for or whether the question would be weird.

I never actually had any kind of interview for my current job. I was called and asked if I could start doing a regular 3 days a week with the goal of moving up to supervisor and (eventually) gaining an IT position. I cheerfully said, "Sure, that'd be great!", but inside I was dying. I desperately wanted to say I couldn't take the job, that I was otherwise employed... but I knew that would be a totally idiotic thing to do (I mean, they asked for me - no interview, no nothing!). After working in this job for a couple of months, one half of me wants to stay home and not get up at 5.45am but the other half is kind of excited at the prospect of finally getting the job I've always wanted (IT/tech). On the other hand, one of the guys working there (Knox) apparently slogged his butt off for 5 years before getting into IT - although that could be entirely coincidence for all I know, I might be offered I job in IT tomorrow

Now I need to go shower, read GoT on my Kobo (despite owning the massive box set - those books are REALLY huge and it's easier to read them on an e-reader ) and go to sleep.

/offtopic

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2015 14:51 Edited at: 26th Jul 2015 14:52
I hear ya mate, you gotta do what you gotta do until you find the job you really want. Just keep goin on. I would never have thought of myself working in a lab or in the Asphalt industry, I just knew a guy who knew a guy and got a trial there. The money was good (as a trainee, I earned in a week what I used to earn in a month), I stayed with it and eventually ended up as lab manager, now I am passionate about my job and take pride in my lab and the products we produce. I will work here until I am made redundant or retire. The funny thing is I really wanted to be a sound engineer recording bands in a studio. I practiced for years, went to school and learned how to do it, built my own rinky dink home studio, and discovered something I already knew, Artists are broke and cannot afford to pay you. record companies pay for records, and then get it back through marketing the album, they only employ a few studios and the lines to get a job at those studios are crazy.

also, funny is the fact that now through my lab job, I have all the toys I ever dream of but could not afford. I rarely break out my audio gear now, but its nice gear. now that I can deck out a room, and am not totally broke I might actually be able to record good artists for the sake of recording good artists. Doing what I loved to do for the love of it. That's the idea at least.
I guess what I am saying is, your dream jobs can have a funny roundabout way of sneaking up on you from unexpected places.
/also_offtopic

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:41:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:41:01