Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Cannot Create EXE???

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 16:10
Okay, so my program has now started saying "Cannot Create EXE" for some reason... Believe it or not, the code which is making this error come up is empty IF blocks! Can anyone see an issue with the below code? The program compiles without it there, and doesn't compile with it there!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 17:17
Does it compile on its own or with minimal wrapping?

Actually, I doubt it's anything to do with the code. Have you tried closing the project and checking its folder? If there are any unusual compiler output files there (I forget the extenders concerned, .pcx or something?) just delete them and try again.

If that fails, try rebooting.

Powered by Free Banners
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 17:41
It does compile on it's own, yeah. That's why it's so odd. This is a SUPER large project, though. I'm terrified that I've hit some sort of "maximum number of lines of code" in DBP or something like that.

I've actually been trying to resolve this for 3 days now. The error is consistently happening when I add that code above. There are no hidden characters in it, either, as I have even tried manually re-typing it into the project to see if that makes a difference.

I doubt it's extraneous compiler output files, since if I remove that code the program compiles just fine!

It's utterly bizarre...

btw... HI GREEN GANDALF!!!

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 19:01
Well, leave that code out and add a few lines subroutine that does nothing or that you don't call.
You'll get to know if it is a problem of maximum number of lines.
To me it appears as a problem of missing or conflicting globals.
Also, how come that two of the ELSEs have no code following?
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 19:03
Hi Scorpyo.

There was code inside of them, but when this error started three days ago I started stripping out more and more code to see where the problem was. Eventually I got it down to just the nested IF blocks and nothing else and it was still happening. It makes no sense to me. If I take that code above out of the project it works fine. If I put it back in again it won't compile...

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 19:31
I would anyway check what suggested above.
or even better create a small different program containing that code and compile it to see what you get.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 19:38
Quote: "It does compile on it's own, yeah. That's why it's so odd. "

Already tried that and it works. Also tried just putting heaps of print statements in the place of the code above to see if it's a max number of lines thing and it compiles fine. For some reason it doesn't like that particular structure of IF blocks.

I've created a new project and am copying over all of the code files into it to see if it compiles. It may be a corrupt project file?

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 19:45
I was about to suggest that. Occurred to me many times. ( It's what I call the Clone Project Fix ).
Let's keep fingers crossed.
Cheers
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 19:45
Have you tried doing it slightly differently? For example, try adding the cases one at a time - or in a different order.

This sort of error is annoying and troubling. I can only sympathise.

Powered by Free Banners
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 20:00
Just finished trying the code re-add. No dice broken in the new file, too. This is really troubling.

I tried adding the cases one at a time and they still break on the second one.

This is driving me mental. Three days I've been looking at this.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2015 20:08
Reboot? A long shot I know.

Powered by Free Banners
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 04:46
I've been trying to fix this for 3 days In that time I've rebooted maybe 5 times

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 09:43
Update on the problem... It's happening with any new function that I add.

Though, strangely, not to empty functions. I tried adding just some basic:

FUNCTION TestFunction()
RetVal = 0

ENDFUNCTION RetVal

And that compiles just fine. But if I go in and put code in there, it won't make the EXE anymore.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 15:42
Be sure to keep track of the number of functions/subroutines you have defined; these appear to multiply the complexity of the 'compile process' and can lead to no EXE being created whatsoever. See my bug report here.

One premiss for the conclusion of this argument is that you may have too many functions/subroutines. You can find out whether this is a sound argument in your case by attempting to compile a test program with 2,000 or 3,000 functions; which on any machine I have used, will fail to compile... The link above tells you the story.

If this guess proves to be the cause of the problem, then the work around will be a design decision; placing more functionality into scripting languages and data files or databases; placing some interactivity inside of DLLs, plugins, backend apps or an additional EXE.

A magical bug fix is currently unavailable and unless TGC can reproduce the error and solve it at their end; will not be available for some time.

Hopefully I am wrong.

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 23:48
It definitely gives me a starting point, Chris.

Very troubling for me to hit this so close to release, but like you said, with a bit of cleverness I should be able to re-write things to sort it out.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2015 23:54
Let's hope Chris is right. Knowing the nature of the problem is more than half the battle.