Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Android Remake

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2015 17:13 Edited at: 19th Aug 2015 17:17
I think it's time for me to start a WIP thread for my current project.

For the past few weeks, I've been working on creating a Legend of Zelda game for Android and Windows, here's my current progress.

And here are some screenies.

http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/images/software/large/ootremake0007.png

http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/images/software/large/ootremake0009.png

This is early footage showing the game in its current state. Please ignore the stuttering, this was a result of the video capture and runs at a locked 60fps on my laptop, and even a relatively steady 30fps on my Galaxy Gear smart watch.
Also, please ignore the skybox texturing issue. I'm using an incomplete version of the App Game Kit 2 from The Game Creators which is missing a lot of 3D functionality, the ability to filter textures is one such feature not yet implemented.

This is footage of the Hyrule field, which will probably be the only area I include in the game unless there's huge interest in the game.

For obvious reasons, I'll never sell this game, (and probably won't release it) as I don't want Nintendo to freak out!

I plan to have lots of playable characters, (basically anyone who's in the N64 game will be playable if I can be bothered to texture and rig them.)

Let me know what you think!

For more information, check out the OoTRemake webpage at: TeamDefiant.co.uk

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2015 17:34 Edited at: 19th Aug 2015 17:36
And here's a video of an early, early version running on my smartwatch.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2015 00:48 Edited at: 20th Aug 2015 00:48
Looks very impressive and nice and smooth on the watch which is promising for good results with the 3D commands.

You have done a good job at recreating the map.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2015 11:20
Thanks!

Here's another video showing it running better on my smartwatch.

No more watch videos for a while now, they're all crap quality!

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2015 22:07 Edited at: 20th Aug 2015 22:19
Hey I though this'd get a bit more enthusiasm, (I guess everyone else is too young to remember Nintendo 64 games! lol) but here is another short video showing the game running with a Google Cardboard VR headset thing I just made up using some cardboard I had lying around.

It all started last night when I watched the following video:

It showed me that AGK2 could in fact be used for a VR experience, so I just had to copy! Using code provided from here, I jammed it into my existing OoT code and got it working! it's not perfect as I don't have any focussing lenses so I can't actually use my headset without hurting my eyes, but it does work!

Here's my video...

Now to clean the code up, and make it toggle-able in game so I can continue to develop it without having to use the headset!

edit: Here's my setup...

http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/images/software/large/ootremake0010.png

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2015 22:34
Very nice man, keep it up! You have inspired me to look into the 3d aspect of agk

http://crazyprogrammerproductions.webs.com/
PIXIMID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2015 23:41 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2015 23:41
Looks like im keeping an eye on this project. Nicely done

Keep us posted!!!!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2015 18:57
@Mobiius: Have you created your own sensor-fusion code to eliminate lag and unwanted 'slippage' you get from gyros alone, or are you using something like the Kalman algorithm? I'd love to see someone implement sensor fusion in AppGameKit - it would really make VR a ... err ... reality!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2015 16:18
Nope. I used only the code provided by Ched I linked to earlier. It seems that AGK's sensor inputs are quite good. I have of course rebuilt the code to fit into my engine, and made it so that the VR can be turned on after the program is already running, rather than how in the demo it starts straight away.

Anyway, here's some more updates. I have made a start on the pause menu screens. I can't demonstrate it with sounds, but the menu makes the correct sounds when being shown, navigated and being closed. The music also changes when leaving Hyrule field, and entering Hyrule Castle town, and vice versa. It's not perfect however, as there are actually 3 or four tracks which can play whilst in Hyrule field, I need to come up with a better music subsystem to better select the correct track to play, and also to not to keep changing track when passing through the Hyrule field music zone.

Here's some pictures.

http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/images/software/large/ootremake0012.png

http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/images/software/large/ootremake0013.png

http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/images/software/large/ootremake0014.png

http://www.teamdefiant.co.uk/images/software/large/ootremake0015.png

Here's a short video of it in action.

If my house stays quiet enough, I'll try and record a video with sounds.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2015 00:46
Hey all, I finally recorded a video with sounds! What do you all think? (If any one's actually reading this thread! lol)

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2015 02:14
Lookin good man!

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2015 03:18
Fantastic Mobiius!

Zelda and VR, what's not to like

The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
PIXIMID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2015 20:43
Quote: "Hey all, I finally recorded a video with sounds! What do you all think? (If any one's actually reading this thread! lol)"

I prefer to watch in silence until something is posted I must apply feedback to.

Have you started working on any of the game characters for it???
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2015 00:56 Edited at: 31st Aug 2015 00:56
Quote: "Have you started working on any of the game characters for it???"

No, since AGK2 doesn't support object animations yet. But it'll probably be next on my list as soon as support is added.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2015 03:42
You can always just get everything loaded up and start working on mechanics. Who cares if the objects are not animated...Get em loaded start working and one day when the animation commands are here its as easy as PlayObjectAnimation(1)

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2015 16:36
Until the official commands are implemented, I might use SoftMotion3Ds code he gave here
Just to see what an animated link looks like.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2016 23:19
Unlocked at OP request.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2016 23:28
Many thanks TheNext!

Yes, after a long lay off, in back developing this and have new updates to provide!

Updates which I'll provide tomorrow as I'm going to bed now. Lol
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 08:29
Back after a long break! After getting myself a proper VR headset and a better phone, I've started work on the VR Zelda remake.
There's not much different between this version and the last version, but I have added a few new features.
1) You can now play in head tracking mode only. No need to tether to another device with a joypad, you can turn on VR mode and lok around on the spot. (As soon as I get a decent bluetooth joypad, I'll add native single device joypad support.)
2) When in VR mode, the 'eyes' will turn to focus on a single point directly in front of you the way the human eye does. *Should* help with focusing issues when looking at close up objects.
3) 'Tour Mode.' Every 30 seconds, the screen will fade out and you'll move to another location. I added this so I didn't have to keep looking at the hill in front of the Kokiri forest entrance all the time!
4) I've changed from a 5 plane, 5 texture skybox, to a single cube, single T texture skybox. This removes the seams in the sky, and makes it easier to add dynamic skys.
5) Although I've not tested it yet, (as I only added it earlier today!) but the level should have collision applied to it. I've made a start on the character controller, so we'll see if collisions work better than the previous sliding ray casting collisions.

I didn't think it would be this easy, but the physics works! Nothing special so far, I can just create a disembodied eyeball, which will fall to the ground and roll about a bit.

Not much, but it's a promising start for the character controller, and projectile weapons.

Next up is to definitely get the character controller working!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 17:11
A short update, I've added jumping on the character controller, (Shown as the weird eyeball capsule) and you now throw eyeballs, instead of just dropping them.

More work to continue later today!

mrradd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 21:36
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 23:02
So I'm using this Mixamo Fuse to create some character models, and the animation always ends up like this. The ends of the fingers explode into a weird mess, and I can never get it to texture the object in one texture. (It always produces 1 set of textures for the body, 1 for the clothes, and 1 for the hair.) And yes, I am using the pack textures option, and no, there's no texture bone command like DBPro had..

Someone please tell me how to fix the animations and the texture issue!

But other than that, I now have a fully working character controller. (Currently a capsule until I can fix the issues with the Mixamo objects.)
It moves, rotates, jumps, and collides with objects, (All what you'd expect with this kinda thing!) which has brought to light another issue. The floor has collision gaps, so things fall through, and without physics debugging, (Wireframe is not implemented) I can't see where else has gaps.
Not good.

Still, I'm liking how this is coming along.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2016 11:34 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2016 11:35
I have the texture packing issue sorted! Now just to fix the crazy rigging!

If someone who knows how to use blender can assist, i'd be very grateful!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2016 17:35
HI

PErh'aps you have too much bones (agk has max 40 bones).
In blender, you should delete the finger bones, and "set weight painting" the fingers with the hand bones.
Do you export in .x or .dae ?

I uyse .dae, but I create my bones (generally max25 bones for a character), and I haven't had no problems.
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 16:54 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2016 16:55
I'm using dae objects exported from Mixamo Fuse, and I had forgotten about the bone limit, I think this object has like 60+ bones. (I chose the full finger'd bone option. I'll have a mess with it and reduce the bone count.)

Thanks for giving me somewhere to start!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 20:05
Reducing the number of bones has worked.
I'm going to have a mess in blender to see what I can do in there, but at least I have an actual character now.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 20:57
Might I make a small suggestion. I found it rather awkward how the music just jumps from one song to another when you moved in and out of town. Can you fade one song out as you fade the other one in?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 21:06 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2016 21:07
Yes I can, and I intend to. (Providing AGK2 has working music volume commands.) The music system was something quick I knocked up just to get it working, but as with any programming task, as soon as I'd finished it I though of a better way to implement it!

There's always little ways to improve your project, and little things like that are the ones people appreciate the most.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 01:05
Now it's time for some light hearted fun! Now that I've fixed the texturing and rigging issue, I thought I'd start with some simple animations, until I saw these kick ass dance moves!

Now, I've gotta have them in the game!

Just need to figure out how to rename the animation in Blender so I can refer to it in AppGameKit (I can't find out how to do it in blender, renaming the armature etc isn't showing in AGK), then append all other animations into a single file. (The append option isn't actually appending anything, unless I'm doing it wrong. Which I probably am.) Animations such as various idle poses, walking, running etc.
So if anyone knows how to get my blendering sorted, please let me know!!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 02:26
Quote: "There's always little ways to improve your project, and little things like that are the ones people appreciate the most"

I find that I could rewrite the same program over 10 times, and each time I do it differently, more efficiently.

And did I just watch Zelda twerk?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 09:41
Quote: "Just need to figure out how to rename the animation in Blender so I can refer to it in AppGameKit "
I have the same matter, and I don't know if we can correct /fiex this issue.
So in AppGameKit, I don't use the name for animation, I use a file or array for each character to define the start and end time for each animation.

Ex :
All my ennemi have 80 frames for total animation :
0-20 : wait
21-40 : walk
41-60 : attack
61-80 : die

So, in AppGameKit, I hve used this system :

To use it in the game :

It works fine in my game (dragonia) .

I hope this can help.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 11:39 Edited at: 24th Jan 2016 11:39
Quote: "And did I just watch Zelda twerk?"

Zelda is the princess, Link is the player character.

Zelda on left, Link on right.

And yes, you just watched (The best version of) Linkle (I can make) twerk.

Linkle /\

Quote: "So in AppGameKit, I don't use the name for animation, I use a file or array for each character to define the start and end time for each animation."

That would work, but I can't seem to get all the animations into the same file. Blenders append doesn't seem to do anything.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 14:31 Edited at: 25th Jan 2016 16:33
Hi

Perhap's this video could help you to understand the Nla Editor/ dope sheet editor (in blender) :
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 16:58
I'll give it a watch later tonight.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 20:19
That video was a massive help! I can now combine all animations into the one file, but it appears that once the keyframes have been converted into an action strip, the animations no longer play in AGK. Is there some setting I need to set in order to get AppGameKit to play the animations, or to convert them back to keyframes?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 20:30 Edited at: 27th Jan 2016 20:54
Never mind, I've got it!

I needed to select an action strip, then collapse the NLA hierarchy in the panel to the left, then select the animation from the drop down in the properties panel. Repeat for all action strips, then export the dae file.

Boom!

Coming later tonight, one character, multiple animations! (Perhaps even user selected animations at run time. (Walking, running, twerking etc.))

*EDIT*
Nope, not got there quite yet...
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 08:33
After what seems like an eternity, I've finally combined all 7 current animations into a single object! This means I can finally make a start with the controls actually moving the player, and the player animating correctly!
This is a big step for me as I was struggling to combine the animations.

Coming up next then, an actual working player character controller!

Enjoy!
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2016 20:23 Edited at: 31st Jan 2016 20:25
Pretty Cool Mobiius , looks great and love the dancing Zelda,.

I Still play Zelda 64 once in a while on my N64 Emulator, and yes i own the game, just easier on my Computer plus gotta love save states.

Just getting into 3D coding myself. lots to take in so I know how hard you must be working on your Zelda. So good luck with this.

And heres still hoping TGC adds Dual camera 3D to AppGameKit, (as in split screen for VR goggles) , probably be faster if they code it all internally instead of us all,having to used memblocks for two cams.

VR goggles are selling like hotcakes so would be nice to see TGC take the forefront in the VR programming languages.

( I have no idea how popular hotcakes are by the way, but it did make me hungry to mention them).

So again, good luck with this Mobiius. cant wait to see what you do with it...really cool
It\'s Bird! , It\'s Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 08:34 Edited at: 1st Feb 2016 08:35
Quote: " love the dancing Zelda,."

It's not Zelda. Already mentioned this... lol

Quote: "And heres still hoping TGC adds Dual camera 3D to AppGameKit, (as in split screen for VR goggles)"

it isn't needed. I don't use it and I have split screen VR. And I don't use memblocks at all. Never have.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2016 13:06
Quick update!

I've been playing Fallout 4 so I've not touched the Zelda game. When I finish/get bored of Fallout, then I'll do more OoT work!

(This post is just to stop the thread getting locked. )
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 12:35
Nice project you got here. I hope you recover from your Fallout 4 addiction so that you can get back into action
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 13:39
Re Fallout 4 addiction: Get the hang of the "duplicating items with Dogmeat" trick, then you'll soon heave enough ammo, weapons and armour to zip through to the missions. You'll quickly get bored with it and be able to return to real life. Good luck!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 12:25
I should be returning to this from this weekend, so hopefully I'll make some good progress.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 19:11
lol @ CJB's comment
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 09:13
Ok then, I have progress!!

I have completely redesigned my input routines to allow for the runtime binding of inputs. (Currently everything was hard coded for simplicity, which is now a nightmare to remove!)
the new subsystems are mostly complete, I just need to plug them in.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2016 00:22 Edited at: 7th Mar 2016 00:26
Update!

New input routine is now plugged in and has tested as working within the LoZ Engine. Now, since the implementation of the input routines went so smoothly, I need to re-engineer the other various systems to take advantage of the new inputs so I can retire the old system. I also plan to revamp all current engine systems to take advantage of AGKs lovely new array system. Now we can put arraye within arrays within types, Out comes the old system, and in comes a new 'OOP' style of arrays to make managing everything simpler, as well as separating the various Update routines into an Update, and Display system.

Currently, the update system will update everything, then where appropriate, display things to the screen. (Like the UI system) the new method will changed so we'll update everything every loop, but we can update the screen at a different framerate. (Useful for getting the maximum framerate out of the system, and simplifying any possible porting to other languages, as the AppGameKit specific draw systems will be separate to the 100% code update systems.

I'll get a new video up showing the remapping of inputs during run time to demonstrate it as soon as I can.]

*EDIT* Oh yes, I've decided to remove the current skybox system, and implement AGKs new skybox system. This method will allow me to create a more dynamic sky system, as well as simplifying a realtime day/night cycle. Change only the sky colour, sun colour & direction, and fog colour and boom. Day/night cycle! If I want clouds, I can fade in a cloud layer which can move with the wind direction, be made thicker if the weather gets worse etc.

Can't wait!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2016 19:42
Ok then, an update!

I've received my bluetooth controller, and it works perfectly! (It turns out the raw commands DO actually work on an android device!)

Here's the video, what do you think? (Ignore the lag, I think thats just because of the recording, in real life there is no lag.)
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 17:11
More progress!

The next part I'm working on is getting head tracking to affect the players head. Initial workings are good. Head tracking is reflected in the player objects head also looking in the correct way. Now I need to reflect this in both first, and third person view.

This is where the problems start.

I'm using the VR code originally written by Ched, and it works very well when you need a first person VR view. But I need both first and third person views, so the whole rendering system will need to be changed to move the VR renderer from the VR subsystem, to the engine update module. it'll take a while to get finished as I need to change the way the engine works.

So much for having it finished this weekend! lol
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 23:17
I like the look of the engine, the rendering of the surroundings, lighting and lens flare look nice.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2016 09:16
Thanks, the lighting is the built in AGK2 sky system. The very 'basicest' implementation. There's a sky and a sun, with no bells and whistles.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:22:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:22:27