Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Question about bigger maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys

Im just about to start a bigger projekt in AGK2 Tier 1.
Since now i only made little games wich stay inside the screen.

But now i want to make a game with a real map, wich means i can run around and move on this map wich is mutch bigger than the screen.

My first idea was, that i just move the big map-sprite in the background around and let the player model just use its walk animation in the middle of the screen.

But now i have the problem that i dont know how i can stop him running againist walls or get killed by killing zones because normally i would just spawn them on screen and saying "if Player sprite hit ObjectSprite stop or die etc."

But now the whole map is a big sprite and i dont know how to do this.

How do you guys handle big maps in games ?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2015 21:57
You should use multiple sprites. Only show the sprites that are visible on the screen area. Having the background scroll is a good approach. But you would do it by changing the world offset, not by moving the sprites.

Hopefully this is enough to get you researching the right commands and techniques. There's only so much I can type on my tablet!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Eqqman
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has video and example code to make an engine as you are asking for:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212717&b=41

Goo Goo G'Joob!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:50:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:50:34