Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Whats the fastest / most stable release?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2015 21:11
I ask because I was having speed issues with my project, getting around 15fps with u77. I then uninstalled and went back to using the version that came on my dvd (1.07) and instantly the fps shot up to 60 and above.
I would just stick with this version, but enhanced animations doesn't seem to work with it. So maybe I can save some time by asking everyone else.
Also if I remember correctly isn't u77 the only release that allows dbp apps to run on windows 8 and above?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 26th Aug 2015 21:54
I would suggest just downloading the different upgrades and try each in turn till either you get bored or find an answer. I'm surprised you found such a difference - perhaps the problem was a plugin? Which version is 1.07? Is it U7.0? If so, I might do a few tests as well.

Powered by Free Banners
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2015 00:47
Quote: "Which version is 1.07? Is it U7.0? If so, I might do a few tests as well."

I'm not really sure since it was just off the dvd, the only way I know to check is help menu -> about darkbasic professional compiler.
I added the cubic light mapping shader you modified for me to evolved's post filters project (on this page: http://www.evolved-software.com/shaders/postprocessing) And I was getting a decent 30 fps until I imported my first model, ~20k tri's. Then I was down to 15 fps. The project is using 11 cameras and 11 simultaneous shaders.

I'll just start working my way up the dbp versions then.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 27th Aug 2015 01:30 Edited at: 27th Aug 2015 01:33
It would certainly be interesting to know which update first causes the slowdown.

Quote: "Quote: "Which version is 1.07? Is it U7.0? If so, I might do a few tests as well."
I'm not really sure since it was just off the dvd, the only way I know to check is help menu -> about darkbasic professional compiler."

Sorry. I was just being lazy. Version 1.07 is indeed U7.0 as I have just verified by installing U7.0 and checking the Help/About thing.

I have just tested one of my heavy shader demos and, depending on which technique is used, it runs at 14 or 31 fps using both U7.0 and U7.7RC7. Not sure which other demos to check as I don't have anything using 11 cameras. I guess your slowdown is CPU rather than GPU related.

There used to be a memory leak using temporary cameras or the make/delete camera pair. Perhaps you're using one of those and the fix caused the slowdown? That's a bit of a shot in the dark though.

Edited for clarity.