Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Steam Redistributables

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 02:49
I am very close to release my game on steam, in the steamworks it allows to include in the installer some Redistributables, does anyone knows out of this list which one I should check? (other than directx)

WindowsDirectX June 2010

Visual C++ Redist 2013

OpenAL 2.0.7.0

.NET 4.5.1
4.0 Client Profile
3.5 Client Profile

XNA 4.0

PhysX 8.09.04
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 04:45
If I was you I'd test the game on a fresh os install before releasing.
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 04:50
Sadly I don't have the cd of the OS because it was already installed in the notebook
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 04:51
I only have another notebook with Windows vista (the newer is 8.1), but even there they don't give you the cd to install with the notebook, so you can't reinstall it
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 14:40
You can use crowdsourcing to hire some testers to provide valuable feedback; might save you from any potential disasters in the end user market.

Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 20:01
I don't know how to use this crowdsourcing.
Does anyone knows which c++ redistributables are required for a dbpro game? If nobody knows I think I am gonna check them all to be sure.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 21:04
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2000&page=system

I hope this helps ^

Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 21:32
mmm actually I don't see anything related to my question
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 23:27 Edited at: 17th Sep 2015 23:28
If you haven't used Dark Physics or Dark Dynamix for physics then I don't see anything on the list you provided other than dx that you should need. There may be perhaps other dependencies from other plugins you might have used, for those just make a list of plugins used and read up on each one. The link Crazy Programmer gave was valid, I don't see why you thought it was not related, the specifications also lists software needed.
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 23:51
His link was only showing minimum and recommended requirements to use dbpro, I don't need to know how much ram or cpu or videocard memory you need to launch it, because these requirements will be the requirements of the game itself, depending if is heavy or not to render, what I requested is what I should include in the installation related to the "redistributable thing", are you sure I don't need any c++ redistributable?

For the plugins I only used Matrix1 and multisync plugins if I am not forgetting something, the dlls that are in my game folder are:

- d3drm.dll
- msvcp71.dll
- msvcr71.dll
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 00:05 Edited at: 18th Sep 2015 00:10
You missed the point completely, if you needed those redistributables they would be listed on that page. That page is not just hardware, you need windows and dx 9c - both are software and I clearly said "the specifications also lists software needed". The top of the page is headed "system requirements" not "hardware requirements", hardware and software make up your system. Why are you under the impression c++ redistributables would be needed anyway? I am aware of the need for the last 2 dll's for Matrix1 and have used multisync a fair time ago but I can't say I came across the need for that first dll the d3drm one, maybe there is a plugin you use that you have missed?

Edit
In fact the only copy I have on my hard drive of the d3drm.dll is in the 3ds to x converter which I think is from my DB classic disc.
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 00:54
I use that dll since I moved to Windows vista years ago, on my last notebook, to let work dbpro executables I needed to put that dll in the game folder.

I am worried about c++ redistributables because probably dbpro is made in c++? Am I wrong?
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 18:06
Really? I used to have Vista a few years back(2007 to 2010) but never came across that need(other than the 3ds to x converter) - or are you talking about some older exe's rather than every single one or perhaps even DBC executables rather than DBP? The last update for DBP was 2011 and I have never needed redistributables for any version I have used which is every single one I think; on my current machine I have tested from U7.1 to U7.7RC7 on a fresh install of W7 after installing updates through automatic update, dx 9c and of course SP1, no issues found. Your best bet is to look at what OS is the oldest you want to support and then find someone for each version who has a copy for a fresh install and have them test it out for you, Chris Tate offered some advice there that may help in this area, in any case beta testing should be done. Alternatively you could I suppose include everything you think you may need at a cost of having users download and install things they don't need, but it would still be wise to beta test for bugs that might be present because of your own code. Yes DBP is c++ but does not mean for certain you need c++ redistrbutables.
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2015 18:46
Yes maybe I have used that dll because of a old game I have made in dark basic classic, I don't remember exactly, many years passed.

By the way the game will be released in early access, so will be kept updated and fixed, even if I release it with a bug I could fix it and update it istantly, and the steam users will automatically have the new version.

Sadly I don't know how to have these betatests, which contact, how much it costs, and I am actually worried about giving the game like that because can be easily copied, while in steam it is safe.
Anyway, I have 2 notebooks where to test it (1 Windows vista and 1 Windows 8.1), also before the release I will pass it to one of my friends, mainly to test the multiplayer, and will test it to my girlfriend's notebook too.
If I am not wrong I could even make betakeys to distribute for testing purpose, once I have fixed the crash problem that is affecting one of the levels of my game I will test it with my friend, and maybe if I find other people give other betakeys as well.
The game is already tested well because I use to test a lot while developing, the only thing that is giving me nuts is this random crash I get in Zombie Island (probably caused because of the Advanced Terrain problem)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 05:15:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 05:15:40