Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Game's path: Seriously? another random bug?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 04:54
The get dir$() command for some reason sometimes works properly, other times returns a wrong directory, I see it was reported as a bug since like 10 years ago, and never fixed, is there something in this engine that is not bugged?
Does anyone knows a different way to find the path? With a plugin for example
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 05:19
Let's explain it better, I have my game's data into .pak files, I extract them, load the content, delete the files, delete the folder.

The problem is that randomly instead of being extracted inside of the game's path, they are extracted outside, and the folders and/or the files obviously are not deleted there. (it happens just with some of them, randomly)

So the bug it's in the get dir() or more probably in the set dir command, this is the function I use to delete the file with the folders:

Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 07:59
Trying to make some changes the files are extracted in the correct folders made, the only problem is that some of the folders will not be deleted with the delete directory command, even if these folders are empty
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 13:59
As usual we need to see a simple runnable snippet which produces the problem.

I tried your code and couldn't get it to fail - once I realised you'd used set dir ".." twice .

Powered by Free Banners
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 14:36 Edited at: 17th Sep 2015 14:38
I don't like using Set Dir; I feel it creates unecessary potential for error; if there is not already enough potential.

I'd use it sparingly. It's a bit like opening the front door of your home, only open it if absolutely necessary, then close it back; otherwise something unexpected might happen.

I've used Set Dir about once in my 50,000 liner; in the function that searches my files for me; which I uploaded here.

I always reset current directory to the applications root folder immediately; which is quite easy to do with the Matrix1 library function called 'Dir EXE()'; in most cases I either use my file query library or use relative paths from Dir EXE() or some windows folder you could obtain using Matrix1. Using the ".." method is a bit too 'iffy'

All the best.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 17:35
Quote: "I always reset current directory to the applications root folder immediately;"

Good advice.

Powered by Free Banners
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 19:51
with a few changes I don't have anymore the wrong directory problem.
The only problem I have is that 2 folders don't get deleted (it seems like there are 2 files in both of them but even if I quit the game with alt+f4, after that, if I look inside the folders they are empty)
They get deleted though if I recall the delete folder function before the "end" of my game.

How can I fix this problem of "content update"? I mean, folders showing files but they actually have no files anymore inside, showing that later?

These 2 folders giving me nuts are: 1, a folder with files and 2 subfolders (maybe this one could be affected because of the subfolders not counted as files to remove in the perform checklist for files), and another one, that has just 2 video files (.avi), none of them get deleted.
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 20:10
mmm it's also happening with mp3 files, so mp3 and avi files do not update when removed and the folder it's impossible to remove it
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 22:34
This .pak system seems also unreliable, sometimes I get errors about files not loaded, very weird, completely random
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 16:50
Quote: "(it seems like there are 2 files in both of them but even if I quit the game with alt+f4, after that, if I look inside the folders they are empty)"

Have you printed out the names of those two files? I believe the checklist includes the two dummy files . and .. . If that's all the problem is then you can ignore them.

Powered by Free Banners
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 17:51
I don't print them i just remove them with the function I use, btw i am not getting anymore random errors of files not found, and as I said before these 2 couples of files are actually deleted because if I quit with alt+f4 and I check the folders they are empty. these folders are deleted though when I quit correctly the game, I just don't understand why they behave differently than others folders which are deleted istantly
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 13:08
I recall .mp3 files that have been loaded are not deleted until the program finishes. They are somehow 'blocked'.

So, they stay at their current folder even if a Delete File has been executed, but when the program execution ends, they got deleted.

One solution for updating the media would be to force the program to shutdown and re-start, or update the media before those files get loaded into DBPro.

Other than that, file commands at DBPro have no bugs, they just have a particular behaviour in some cases.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 13:15
Quote: "I just don't understand why they behave differently than others folders which are deleted istantly"

Neither do I. It's hard to advise you further when I cannot reproduce the symptoms myself.

Powered by Free Banners
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 13:24
What about adding fog to the normal map shader I requested before? I have tried to paste the fog part from the relief map shader but it doesn't work (both evolved ones)
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 18:25
Quote: " I have tried to paste the fog part from the relief map shader but it doesn't work (both evolved ones)"

Could you post both shaders, i.e. the relief one you are trying to copy from and the edited one you are trying to change? Could be a simple error or oversight. I won't be able to test them till next week but I might be able to spot the problem.

Powered by Free Banners
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 21:06
I have tried to redo it again starting from the default normalmapping.fx.
Probably I missed something last time because this time it seems to work.
I upload it here in case someone needs it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 21:21
I have tried to edit as well the leaf shader of evolved, sadly the leafs disappear, this is the shader (attached).
Maybe GG if you can look at it because the trees looks really bad from the distance as they are not fading like all the other objects affected by fog.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2015 21:29
Quote: "I have tried to redo it again starting from the default normalmapping.fx.
Probably I missed something last time because this time it seems to work.
I upload it here in case someone needs it."

Well done!

Quote: "I have tried to edit as well the leaf shader of evolved, sadly the leafs disappear, this is the shader (attached).
Maybe GG if you can look at it because the trees looks really bad from the distance as they are not fading like all the other objects affected by fog."

I'll take a look - when my new granddaughter stops screeching in my ear.