Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Black Skybox

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 15:26
I'm having trouble creating a black skybox but I've been told it can be done. I had trouble with it a few years back and had to settle for a grey one but I'd really like to know how to make a black one. The trouble I have is that every entity gets replicated across the sky when it's black. I don't know if it's the file type (DXT1) or that the skybox isn't actually loading, or an engine thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian.

I'm sorry. My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
All Downloads are now HERE
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 16:53
Try this xplosys, They are in .png format. It works for me.
Any problems let me know?

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 17:54
Thank you! That does work. Could it be because the program is converting the png's to dds the way it needs to, or does it just use the png's? I still can't get it to work with dds files. I even tried taking existing skybox textures and making them black. No joy. It either goes full white like it's transparent or I get endless trails of entities across the sky.

Brian.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 18:23
Happy it worked for you As to why, I really don't know.
Someone with more expertise will have to answer that. I had the
exact same problems with .dds files as yourself. Finally I tried .png format and it work.

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 19:06
Okay then. We'll just chalk it up to another feature... another random feature.

Thanks again.

Brian.

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "DXT1"

I never use this format because it creates a lot of errors.
Try DXT5. I think this is the format of FPSC

PredicateC - FPSC to GameGuru FPE converter
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/211068
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2015 20:16
Quote: "Try DXT5"

Thanks for that Corno_1, I'll try that, but all my (non-transparent) textures are DXT1 and they work fine as entities/segments. There is obviously a difference when it comes to the skybox, but I still don't know why.

Brian.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 03:36
Quote: "endless trails of entities across the sky"

Endless trails across the sky is caused when the engine does not load the skybox. This could mean either the path is incorrect or the format could not be read/converted properly. Recall that the engine has been coded so that if you use PNG and have your texture settings set to high, the PNG will be changed and produce a DDS file. Same goes for TGA-->DDS, BMP-->DDS (unless it got broken during one of the BETA updates). There was an issue a while back where some skyboxes were not copying/showing correctly and it had apparently been addressed. A lot of the skyboxes available were in DDS, PNG, BMP, TGA, and JPG. I ended up redoing all skyboxes to use PNG myself. I work in PNG strictly for file size only on a file deployment. DDS usage is good for detail, but with huds and text, there is no real difference between the DDS or PNG except file size.

The engine will read black as transparent, and therefore will either not load at all (producing endless trails) or show white (thinking the color you selected is black). We know this first hand as Cathy has done quite a few skyboxes. If you are certain you did not use a true black (RGB=000) and you convert to DDS and still have the issue, check to ensure the skybox file (the X file for that skybox) is pointing to the correct texture file(s) and extension. I recall having to edit a few X files for skyboxes to change them from one extension to the one that was in my folder.

In case you need reference to the different formats of DDS...

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 03:54
Quote: "This could mean either the path is incorrect or the format could not be read/converted properly."

I remember our conversations of old concerning DDS vs. PNG. I guess it's just been so long since I've created anything that I forgot. That's what happens when you get old... I think.

The path was correct, so as I suspect it was something to do with format, though I still don't know what. I'm using Black Ice Mod if that makes any difference.

Anyway, as long as PNG works I'd rather with it. Thanks for reminding me.

Brian.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 04:03
Quote: "The path was correct, so as I suspect it was something to do with format, though I still don't know what. I'm using Black Ice Mod if that makes any difference."

Simple way to find out for sure. Remove the mod (move out their EXE and place in the default EXE (FPSC-Game.exe and FPSC-MapEditor.exe (if they do both))) and try the default engine. If the problem persists, it is not the mod. Check the X file for the skybox and ensure it states the exact file name and extension, then try again. Still an issue, then it is the format of the DDS file- either the saving process is not working properly or the engine is just having one of it's many moments.

Off topic, could you (at your leisure) fire me an email so I can update my contact list and send you back our updated contact information?

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2015 04:14
Mikey,

Sounds too much like work. Check your messages.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 21:35:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 21:35:24