Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Object limbs broken after sync while loading

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 21:31
If I call some sync while loading a level, to show the player the progress of the loading, somehow one of my object got broken (look attachement)

It's not the texture missing as if you go closer to the object you can see it's there (even if applied bad as the mesh is broken)
It's the mesh that is broken, the object number I use is 2300, the Whole stand is the object, the integrators are just some limbs.

Removing these (progress loading infos) the object it's loaded correctly.

all what I add is
1: paste the background image
2: text
3: sync.

this before a specific loading, for example, loading sounds, loading textures, loading objects etc.

Why this happens?

Ah, another bug (as if they are not enough), sometimes if you to to use the replace command on the IDE it just replace the 1st result, even if I click "replace all" (and no, I didn't forget the highlight text only thing)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 14:50 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2015 15:23
That does seem weird. It doesn't look like a mesh problem - more like a texture stage problem. Does your stand object have lightmaps?

Edit Had a closer look (as you suggest ) and I see what you mean. You probably need to narrow it down by testing the logic with a much simpler example. I can't see why something like

should be any different from

Powered by Free Banners
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 16:53
If I display everything at the end there is no reason to display the progress, because will be updated all in a bounch.
btw don't know why but I did not get any reply on my email about your post, there is no way to subscribe a discussion yet here?
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 16:57
By the way this bug is really crazy, dbpro it's seriously like a mine field, I don't know if my next project will be developed here, this engine is giving me a lot of headaches, everything you try to do it's bugged, and things like this bug are completely out of any reason. Why a sync command would scr** up some limbs? I have no words...
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 20:28
Quote: "btw don't know why but I did not get any reply on my email about your post, there is no way to subscribe a discussion yet here?"

When did you send it? I haven't received it yet.

I've just tested the Email button and I instantly received my test email. I'll have a look at the server version and see if yours got marked as spam there.

It's possible I deleted it in error because I've been getting a lot of nuisance spam recently and I'm usually careful to weed out the genuine messages before doing a mass delete. But mistakes happen. Anyway, I'll check and report back.

Powered by Free Banners
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 21:13
No you misunderstood my message, I mean, I use to subscribe to discussions so that when someone reply I get a notify in my email, but in this new forum there is no subscribe button I see.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 21:24
Quote: "No you misunderstood my message"

You're right I did.

Quote: "I don't know if my next project will be developed here, this engine is giving me a lot of headaches, everything you try to do it's bugged, and things like this bug are completely out of any reason."

You'll still have bugs introduced by yourself though - as in your fog problem.

Powered by Free Banners
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 23:40
I don't consider the fog thing a bug, I am talking about the other things, sync that broke objects, memory leaks, terrains crashing randomly, mouse problems, Advanced Lighting doesn't work anymore somehow, instance objects bugs, Alpha mapping bugs, https requests bugs, shadowmapping crashes, path commands crashing the game randomly, sounds and music bugs, and look at all the old post I have made in the past, there are at least 15-20 bugs just discovered by me. Add this to the fact that the engine is old, supports 1 core only, rendering speed it's not that fast, illumination is really bad (unless using Advanced lighting which kills your fps, and as said before doesn't even work on my pc anymore), can't even make a damn shadow for my character because of the bones amount, even adding a depth of field effect becomes a nightmare.
When I started to develope my game I wasn't aware of all these bugs, while developing I discovered them 1 by 1, and each bug has been a limitation for the game. I knew they stopped to update Dbpro but I thought that at least they fixed the bugs. At the moment my game is around 73k lines of code, and I fear that adding a new feature will break something else, even things not related to the code I am touching (like the sync breaking some limbs of an object, why?)

By the way, as I said before, developing medium to big project in Dbpro it's like having to walk for 1000 miles on a mine field. You can make a workaround once, twice, 3 times, but first or later you ll find the bug that can't be passed, and even if you find a workaround for every obstacle, your project it's compromised because every time you workaround a bug you compromise it a little.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2015 18:45
Quote: "there are at least 15-20 bugs just discovered by me"

How many of those have been confirmed by other users?

Quote: "By the way, as I said before, developing medium to big project in Dbpro it's like having to walk for 1000 miles on a mine field."

There are problems I agree but many large projects have been made with it successfully - without the random crashes that you seem to encounter repeatedly. Perhaps you should search elsewhere for the source of some of your problems?

Quote: " (like the sync breaking some limbs of an object"

You really need to produce runnable sample snippets so others, who would like to help you, can see the problems themselves. If you don't help us to help you then you'll find it increasingly difficult to obtain help. Anyway, in a few hours I'm off on holiday for two weeks so perhaps you'll have some snippets ready for me to test on my return.

Powered by Free Banners
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 20:31
Most are confirmed by other users, Others are not even used by the other users, or almost like that, I have been able to spot many bugs because I wrote a 73k lines game, nobody or almost nonbody did that as far as I know, and that's why nobody spotted as many bugs as me. But the bugs are there! And some of the bugs makes random crashes, like using some shadows I remember, set dir commands, advanced terrain, and Others I don't remember now.
I have been able to spot many bugs also because my game is various, for example it is both single player and multiplayer. 99% of the people who make a game here do it single player, nobody have been able to help me while developing the multiplayer part, I always posted problems and bugs here and I replied myself on all the posts (look at the get public IP problem for example).
This to let you understand that I am not dreaming the bugs, some of the bugs have not been spotted or not fixed by other users because the community is very small, therefore people just don't face the bugs because don't use certain commands, it's not my code the problem (like the mousex() bug that you thought I was making some errors in the code, but I am 100% sure it's just a dbpro bug, as that command it's known to be bugged)

A programmer already has to face his own bugs, if the engine he uses it's full of them, it becomes a nightmare.

A runnable snippet will probably will be useless as well, because out of all the objects I have in my game, just that object got broken, so 99% that if you try it on your own object it will not be broken.

And as I said, the only thing I ve added in the code is:

1- Paste image (for the loading screen)
2- Text (to write what is loading)
3- Sync

nothing else, so probably is the sync command that broke the object, somehow.

Another weird bug, look at the advanced lighting problem post I did, how the hell is possible that the terrain example doesn't work anymore on my pc? (I don't use it on the game I have made but I just wanted to take a look to see if with some tricks I could speed it up and use for another simple game)
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 10:18 Edited at: 5th Oct 2015 10:38
Quote: "I have been able to spot many bugs because I wrote a 73k lines game, nobody or almost nobody did that as far as I know, and that's why nobody spotted as many bugs as me"

I did ! And i can confirm most of the bugs you mentioned.(except the crashing) The really bad thing is : What you experiencing is literally just the tip of the iceberg... wait while you really start to do workarounds around workarounds... that will be really scary and will turn your code into a nightmare ! i did that and had to quit my project because i couldn't follow the code anymore. (no matter how organized was my "dev diary" i couldn't follow which workaround will break the other one , etc)

EDIT :
From the other hand i think it was a rashness from your side to publish your game on steam ! some people also mention here that early access games are nearly finished/polished games.You have one shot to show something , and if they don't like what they see you are doomed !
Excuses and promises wont help , gamers don't care how limited you was on spare time or you didn't have models... they don't care. So next time you should watch out for these things

Regards
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=191567&b=5]Spark Particle engine[/href]
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199163&b=5]Transform gizmo plugin[/href]
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 13:01 Edited at: 5th Oct 2015 13:13
@Hotline; That's a shame. What are you using to build your projects now? Any new release or WIP?

@Cescano Let's not get too hasty, I left DBPRO for similar reasons in the past; but found just as many bugs in other development environments; some by Microsoft. At the end of the day DBP is a set of DirectX 9.0 dlls and implementations. Some of what you say is true, but some is just a case of knowing how DBP works under the surface in relation to the operating system's user input messaging and knowing the weakness vs strengths, so on and so forth.

I am not very good a solving problems without seeing code; if it is possible for you to do; let us all see the loading section of the program. I have never seen your error before; I thought I have seen everything there is to see in DBP, but not that. But seriously let us stop the guessing and start observing some code; I am desparate to see the cause of this problem myself. While you are at it, please post the 3D model file of the deforming object. I am sure I am going to see something in the code that shouldn't be there.

Quote: "I have been able to spot many bugs because I wrote a 73k lines game, nobody or almost nobody did that as far as I know, and that's why nobody spotted as many bugs as me"

Just saw that comment.

I have written over 100k my friend; but have found that my best experience has come from my recent implementation which is only 15k; It is not good to write more than 25k, 30k is pushing it; any more and you are asking for trouble. 9 times out of 10, you problem will come from the complexity of the compilation process. I recommend you cut down the length of your code to 20- 30k. (Personally my target is 10k). Put the high level code (data, levels, ui, events, material) in scripts, data files or database; do not put it in code. You do not need more that 30k to make a good product.

I know what you are experiencing, I've been there before; long compiles, lots of compiles. It's a no no. Sam has set up a project for improving the experience, but if Lee can build FPSC in 29k, I am sure you can make something decent with 30k.

This website is a good illustration; its new, it has lots of bugs, but changes do not require recompilation. Just edit CSS and Javascript. Get into LUA or Python or XML or something, please save yourself
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That's a shame. What are you using to build your projects now? Any new release or WIP?"

I use strictly c++ and an open source modern game engine (DX9 , DX11 , OGL3.0 , Android , iOS , HTML5 i don't want to mention names here since as we know mods are really sensitive at these things ) I just released a video of the game i'm working on. and already implemented most of the things after 5 months.
The best thing I NEVER EVER HAD TO CODE ANY WORKAROUNDS. The game engine i use has built in 2 scripting languages (can be used by the developer's choice). and all necessary modules (scenegraph system , 3d and 2d sound support , dynamic navmesh , crowd navigation , programmable materials , shaders , physics , automatic hardware skinning , automatic hardware instancing , cascaded shadow mapping , and a lot lot more ). Tested a scene with 100 (!) skinned characters with full self shadowing , and shadow mapping + fullscreen bloom , i got 170 fps !!

So literally all i need to do is code the game , no workarounds , no bugs , no slowdowns...
Everything goes nice so far , developing in c++ is like a dream come true.

Quote: "You do not need more that 30k to make a good product"

True , but the other 40k comes from workarounds and additional stuff that is completely unnecessary , lack of tools are also a big problem + in some cases you have to write hundreds of lines of code for something that should be implemented in DBPro.

Shader support is the biggest issue in DBPro ! To have some basic normal mapping you need hundreds of lines of code to make it working (see Evolved shaders... just seeing all that code make my head hurt...).

[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=191567&b=5]Spark Particle engine[/href]
[href=forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199163&b=5]Transform gizmo plugin[/href]
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 18:40
2 Scripting Languages, that might be the same engine I am trying lately Sadly I know just the basics of C++.
One thing that I learned programming Lift It, is that as a single developer, doing all by myself, without using assets, will be better to do simple games selling for a lower price (2-3 € maybe), instead of making huge projects which due to the fact that I need to do a lot of stuff , probably things will be less detailed, because I need to rush the developing.
My next project will be small, easy and more direct to play, but that small will be more detailed.
As I managed to let work the Advanced Lighting, mabye I could still use Dbpro to do that small project, with better graphics due to the Advanced Lighting, but not too heavy because will be simple. One advantage that I have is that I already know most of the bugs so I can develope it fast, so I will have less headaches than I had with lift it.

By the way, coming back to Lift It, actually I did it right to release it at the current state, for the ones that don't know it, Lift It has been approved on steam and is up for sale since 29 September.
I must admit I expected more sales, but probably I should have set it for a lower price, this is my first time so I didn't know what could be a "right" price.
If I kept working on it for maybe another year, I just wasted another year for nothing, because the income I will probably get in 1 year wouldn't even cover the costs of all the hours I spent working on it (I worked like 4-5 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, for like 14 months up to now). Adding another year of work means twice the costs, but I should not probably get twice the income, so it's a lost. Having a 73k lines project it's a nightmare to push forward because to compile everytime I must wait 4 minutes, so 4 minutes wasted just for a small thing to fix or to check for example. I will still update it and add new features but not as much as I thought, as the sales are low, despite all the youtube advertising from famous youtubers. For example I thought to translate it to french, italian, spanish, portuguese, but as of now no people bought it from these places, so there is no reason to make that hard work for nothing. All the sales I am getting comes from US,UK, Germany, a few other countries of Europe (but 1 here and 1 there, none in particular), Asia, Russia and Australia, so probably I will stick with English (unless in the future I will see several purchases from france, italy, spain, Portugal and Brazil).
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 00:40 Edited at: 6th Oct 2015 00:44
Quote: "So literally all i need to do is code the game , no workarounds , no bugs , no slowdowns. Everything goes nice so far , developing in c++ is like a dream come true."

Lol, sounds like you are living in a dream world Neo! No bugs, no workarounds and no slowdowns. I will await eagerly with the expectation of the highest and most unforgiving nature towards playing your bugless game!

But seriously, I'll have to admit that what ever you are using sounds like something far superior; and of course you cannot go wrong with C++. I do not only use DBP for my stuff either; I have a DX11 engine and have gotten deep into dotNET development Windows Presentation Foundation; so I cannot complain.

Quote: "The game engine i use has built in 2 scripting languages"

Very important.

Quote: "
True , but the other 40k comes from workarounds and additional stuff that is completely unnecessary"

Yes indeed, but it is important in the case of DBP to put that extra 40k outside of the source code; since there are tools which allow you to call DBP functions from your scripts. While it is fine to work around the tool; it is far better to work with it by designing the kind implementation which gets you what you want without much compiler code whatsoever.

I will say with upmost confidence that you could make an FPS game with DBP with 5,000 lines of code in it; with the rest of the code in script and windows event messaging piplines; you would not need but 100 lines to load all the shader pipelines you will EVER need to put into place using its limb and shader texture packing facility and binding your sounds and event triggers to limbs.

Obviously this means no to Advance Lighting, and yes to get your butt into Dark Shader and develop your own rendering pipeline. I say that with experience of having something promising with about 15k lines; I just chose to keep a little more in DBP but could reduce it down. Will showcase it later in the year.

Obviously it is all well and good to simply choose a tool with no need to work around such issues; since the developers of such tools have already done the job so you can concentrate on pure game creation.

in some cases you have to write hundreds of lines of code for something that should be implemented in DBPro"

I seem to find this true of most development tools I have used, except your one apparently. There are 1,000s of lines of dotNET code I have written which should already implemented in Microsoft Windows!

Quote: "Shader support is the biggest issue in DBPro ! To have some basic normal mapping you need hundreds of lines of code to make it working (see Evolved shaders... just seeing all that code make my head hurt...)."

That's the thing, what Evolved has done is nice for people who do not want to learn how to write shaders ; when they see all that code they think that 1,000s of lines of code is what it takes to make a game that looks good. (not saying that's you since you are a plugin developer). All you need is some good texture working and some basic knowledge of shader programming and you can make a good looking game without the overkill. Just by using a consistent colour palette and properly sized textures and good UV mapping, you will not even need normal mapping to make the game look good.

I just made a cloud rendering shader the other day with but 5 or so lines of DBP code to load the shader; then just paste it on some 3D planes; looks more realistic than that of the Dark Clouds plugin. (Will showcase it when I get round to it)

I think more people should spend more time in his shader snippets section and actually learn how to do their own thing. Then you will find that you can get normal mapping with 1 line of DBP code; the way Evolved has built the system uses alot of solid code to calculate UV coordinates, sort the cameras and provide lots of options for the non-shader programmer to changing things which is all good; but you have to really think about scripting if you are going to dedicate 25-50% of your entire game's source code to a shader pipeline.

If people must use Advanced Lighting, use it to do absolutely everything. If all you want is a bit of reflectivity and bumps here and there; but are more interested in gameplay, you are much better off with one of Evolved's small shader programs or doing your own thing.

@Cesano
Quote: "will be better to do simple games selling for a lower price (2-3 € maybe), instead of making huge projects which due to the fact that I need to do a lot of stuff , probably things will be less detailed, because I need to rush the developing.
My next project will be small, easy and more direct to play, but that small will be more detailed."

I'd say stick with it; port it to another system if you have to; but starting over is not aways the best idea. All the assets should not go to waste. Extend it, port it, improve it; heck rename it; but do not throw your time away like that. A year from now you could build a sequal or different title using the same assets which could become your money maker. If you like using DBP, then I'd take some time off, chill out; go play some video games, go on vacation; come back, read through all the code then start planning to cut the code down to 20,000 lines; put the missions or objectives into a database, start writing some script based alternatives; start porting to AppGameKit or something to try to get it on cell phones etc.

Just my opinion.
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 01:40
I am not throwing the game away, I will keep updating it but will maybe do 1-2 hours per day of work and use the other hours to make another game. Porting it will be absolutely a bad idea, will make me just waste a lot of time for nothing, porting the game to another engine takes probably even more time than what it took so far, mainly because I need to learn a new Language, and have to rewrite everything from scratch because you can't use the same code with a different Language. If I ever decide to make another game with Dbpro I am forced to use the Advanced Lighting because from what I can see people care a lot about graphics, if I can't get a decent fps probably then I will move to another engine, but that will require a lot of time to learn the new Language.

About AppGameKit, I don't even want to waste time with it, it is mainly for mobile games which I don't care.
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 08:36 Edited at: 6th Oct 2015 08:52
Chris Tate : So you asked me what engine and programming language i use , just to start a flame war ? Very clever... :

Quote: "Lol, sounds like you are living in a dream world Neo! No bugs, no workarounds and no slowdowns. I will await eagerly with the expectation of the highest and most unforgiving nature towards playing your bugless game!"

Learn to read... i never talked about the game , i was talked about the engine i use.It is developed by people who care about quality and performance and reported bugs are fixed in max 1-2 days. So no there are no slowdowns , and no bugs that can force me to quit the project.

Quote: "But seriously, I'll have to admit that what ever you are using sounds like something far superior; and of course you cannot go wrong with C++. I do not only use DBP for my stuff either; I have a DX11 engine and have gotten deep into dotNET development Windows Presentation Foundation; so I cannot complain."

The one and only thing we can agree.And indeed , it is a superior to many game engines out there.(i can make this conclusion since i tried 99% of them)

Quote: "That's the thing, what Evolved has done is nice for people who do not want to learn how to write shaders ; when they see all that code they think that 1,000s of lines of code is what it takes to make a game that looks good. (not saying that's you since you are a plugin developer). All you need is some good texture working and some basic knowledge of shader programming and you can make a good looking game without the overkill. Just by using a consistent colour palette and properly sized textures and good UV mapping, you will not even need normal mapping to make the game look good."

Big respect for Evolved's work , but i can't agree that he did it for people who don't want to write shaders , because writing shaders is a lot easier than understand for an example the Bloom post process effect example.

Quote: "I just made a cloud rendering shader the other day with but 5 or so lines of DBP code to load the shader; then just paste it on some 3D planes; looks more realistic than that of the Dark Clouds plugin. (Will showcase it when I get round to it)

I think more people should spend more time in his shader snippets section and actually learn how to do their own thing. Then you will find that you can get normal mapping with 1 line of DBP code; the way Evolved has built the system uses alot of solid code to calculate UV coordinates, sort the cameras and provide lots of options for the non-shader programmer to changing things which is all good; but you have to really think about scripting if you are going to dedicate 25-50% of your entire game's source code to a shader pipeline."

I made a lot of shader myself for my game.The difference is i had to write the shader , and a material script... so i only need one line of code to load the material.Thats how things should work in 2015

Quote: "Quote: "The game engine i use has built in 2 scripting languages"

Very important."

You have no idea how important that is do you ?

Quote: "I seem to find this true of most development tools I have used, except your one apparently. There are 1,000s of lines of dotNET code I have written which should already implemented in Microsoft Windows!"

c# is a professional actively developed popular programming language... don't compare it to something where you can't even have arrays in UDT's and can't define the word TRUE and FALSE for some obscure reason... if DBPro is a programming language what "make object box" and "control camera with arrowkeys" etc. do in the language ?
i'm using a GAME ENGINE don't confuse with a programming language. I always thought DBPro is some hybrid because make object box and load object etc shouldn't be implemented in a programming language.

Quote: "I will say with upmost confidence that you could make an FPS game with DBP with 5,000 lines of code in it"

Yeah we all saw those 5000 liner fps'...

Quote: "with the rest of the code in script and windows event messaging piplines; you would not need but 100 lines to load all the shader pipelines you will EVER need to put into place using its limb and shader texture packing facility and binding your sounds and event triggers to limbs. "

I don't want to argue about this... it sounds soo beautiful in theory , but the cruel reality is different. Don't ask me ! Ask yourself why 80% (or more) users left these forums ? Ask Cescano what he thinks about DBPro (but probably he will be polite so he won't say anything bad about it...) ? See the bug reports , Ask most of the people (non DBPro users) what they think about DBPro and GameGuru.
You can avoid these facts or you can make conclusions.

DBpro was a great concept ! but unfortunately in 2015 it is too simple and bugy to call it a programming language , and it's too limited to call it a game engine.
Again this is not just my opinion ! most people who left these forums are a lot angrier and probably will never come back.

Before anyone misuderstand me : i'm not talking against DBpro or BASIC ! Everyone can use what ever they feel is easier and gets the job done quick. i'm talking about careless devs and against people who let this all happen
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 11:21
I am sorry I made that reply now, It was not my intention to get you upset; I was actually all giggles. My first paragraph was even a purposeful joke about the engine being so good that its games will turn out good. I am a little disappointed because I did not expect this kind of reply from you, I do respect what you have done, but I will not judge you based on that reply. Good luck with your game!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 11:25
@Cescano

Good points. Just got me a bit worried about the talk of smaller projects. It's not always that difficult to port especially when the languages are similar. Infact sometimes the language you start using makes it easier; but enough about that. Are you going to post that loading object snippet and 3d object; or are you worried about people stealing your code?
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 17:19 Edited at: 6th Oct 2015 17:20
Pasting the exact code will be impossible because it works all together, so will be a lot of lines and maybe I could make some mistakes and bug them extracting just part of the code, that's why I am not pasting the complete snippet.
For example, there is part of the code which extract data from a .pak file which contains all the other objects, and obviously I can't upload my assets in a public forum, everyone could grab them.
To let it work I would add also code to load textures, effects, so I should provide these assets to and as I said, everyone could grab them.

Maybe I could upload just the specific object, you can use a casual texture, and do:

paste image 1,0,0 rem (a background image for the loading screen)
text 0,0,"Loading Textures..."
sync

load image "C:\Folder\texture.dds",1

paste image 1,0,0
text 0,0,"Loading Textures...Ok"
text 0,30,"Loading Objects..."
sync

load object "C:\Folder\object.dbo",1

paste image 1,0,0
text 0,30,"Loading Objects...Ok"
text 0,60,"Building World..."
sync

texture object 1,1

paste image 1,0,0
text 0,30,"Loading Objects...Ok"
text 0,60,"Building World...Ok"
sync

Also when I say smaller projects, I mean games probably aimed mainly in multiplayer, that kind of game that give you instant fun, looking at the gameplay of Lift It I noticed that most people are not willing to train so much to gain stats, probably it's too hardcore for the average player, I will try to rebalance the game a bit with the next updates and maybe add a multiplayer mode which allow multiplayer fights without weapons. Some of them got frustrated because they get killed with 2 hits from the enemies on the other islands or training with the sword, they didn't even use the integrators to boost the stats, maybe they didn't know about it. I will make the game a bit easier in single player, also somehow nobody is playing multiplayer for some reason, probably because usually there are only 1 to 3 players playing at the same time.

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 20:18 Edited at: 6th Oct 2015 20:41
Quote: "Pasting the exact code will be impossible because it works all together"

Yep that is very much expected from a project of this scale.

I loaded the object with no problem with multiple load calls.

The snippet is so basic that there is no potential to reproduce your error, which is a shame. The best I can do is theorize because it will not be desirable for you to upload your real code.

If the problem is consistent accross multiple devices then we can be sure that something in the program is misaligning your UV coordinates and vertices by video memory corruption. If it only occurs on your system; it may be a conflict with your hardware and drivers installed. These glitches even occur in some of the AAA titles from hardware to hardware, conflicts occur which have more to do with hardware overheating or there being fault in the drivers. I am not saying this is 100% to cause of the problem, but a theory at best if we are dealing with a fault which occurs only on specific machines. If it happens on every machine then we can put this theory asside.

One thing I forgot to mention is congratulations for being able to compile 70,000 lines of code in the first place. That's not always possible with the compiler in its current state; so that pretty much makes you a super star since that probably means that your code and setup is not all that bad; usually the compiler gives up after about 30-50k.

Moving on, I will have to share with you that from time to time I encountered strange crashes in certain areas of my program with no foreseeable reason. Only to find out days later that the problem had to do with an inappropriately dimensioned array by human error, elsewhere in the program, which led to the simulation to losing control in the area of code supposably at fault. So perhaps the first suspect is not the cause of the problem, but a nuicence for a problem which occured earlier in the runtime process, and is evidence of there being a problem with the DBO files (from what ever is creating them) or some kind of memory leak.

Again the length of code creates more potential for halm and wasted time. Those annoying wierd single character endings that creep up from time to time from the IDE which completely change the entire situation; all over one word or character out of place. Make sure there is no spaces at the end of each line etc. This is not Visual Studio, so there is nothing to tell you whether there are any wierd characters in the code, and with such a large line count the potential could be great. Another way to reduce code is to split the game into two executables; one for the gameplay, and one for the setup; a bit like Steam.exe and HL2.exe for valve or FPSC Editor and FPSC Game for TGC. Try to break it up into two major requirements of the service you are providing; no need to compile file setup and packing code in the actual game; plus the OS will hopefully dedicate each EXE to a different thread for a smooth experience.

So find out if the problem happens on every machine; the try different file formats; .x for example; or try exporting DBO from another program or process to which is being used. You may even try using memblocks or vertex lists for your level loading; I am not planning to use Load Object in my final release; it stops the loop and does not indicate if anything however trivial or significant went wrong during the load call, which is not nice if you have loads of people playing your game and depending on you to know 'what's up'; which your own object loading function could do with a nice logging system. You just set your vertices in place without stopping the game from running.

I noticed your 3D object's stall limb is completely black without shading when loaded with no texture. No highlights, just pure black; until textured. This is a sign of UV mapping problems in the 3D model; everything loaded with no texture should be gouraud shaded. Do you notice anything interesting about the difference in how the stall and the containers where crafted? Could be a clue; because they do not seem to come from the same thing. Well, in all hope you will find the cause and continue in your work.

Good luck

Some of them got frustrated because they get killed with 2 hits from the enemies on the other islands or training with the sword, they didn't even use the integrators to boost the stats, maybe they didn't know about it. I will make the game a bit easier in single player, also somehow nobody is playing multiplayer for some reason, probably because usually there are only 1 to 3 players playing at the same time."

That's good that you have such information so you know how the game can get better.
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 21:36
Thank you for your congratulations
By the way I am attaching here the limb info of that object, the weird thing is that only the containers limbs get broken, the table and all the other stuff are fine, I am gonna attach below also the code to modify the object:

Attachments

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 21:46
Quote: "This is a sign of UV mapping problems in the 3D model"

I also had a look in uv mapper classic, the mapping does appear to be messed up.
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 22:44
How it's possible then that normally it is loaded correctly but it is messed up only when I add the loading info on the loading screen?
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 01:33
I'm not sure that the two issues have anything to do with each other really, just sharing some info in case it's relevant. Some of the coords seem to be out of bounds.
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 02:15
Maybe because I have used a Unwrap UVW instead of a normal UV map
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 11:47 Edited at: 7th Oct 2015 11:53
Does your game use light mapping? For example Dark Lights? - Edit: What WW mensioned could relate to a UV stage problem; and the paste image call somehow overriding the texture; but that does not explain the misaligned vertices( if they were misaligned because I cannot see very clearly in the small screenshot)
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 14:34
No for some reason the lightmapper chrashes on my pc when I tried it last year, so I had to do all the shadows manually with a textured plane for each object.

Yes the vertices are misaligned as well, it's not just the texture the problem, it's the mesh that is completely broken.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 15:41 Edited at: 7th Oct 2015 15:53
Interesting; does the lightmapper only crash in your game; or does the light map editor supplied with Dark Lights crash also? It does not suprise me because Dark Light's usually crashes on my machine when ever I attempt to lightmap anything the wrong texture resolution, when I attempt to call the completion function to find out the progress. I am considering learning how to write my own light mapper in the future because it is not nice to have things crash that way.

Could you post a higher resolution image? Are the vertices out of place; or the edges? I have to ask all these questions because I cannot run the code myself. If the vertices are in the correct place, but the edges are out of place; it could be the normals facing the wrong way, causing it to look inside out. Judging by the low resolution screenshots; everything within the containers is just all over the place.

What's wierd is the containers on top do not even feature a bright texture; do they all share the same texture which is a sheet of different images all in the same image?

Anyway, those containers are dodgey; I once purchased a building created in Blender, which I loaded into DBP, which would never ever display its texture; just white. In a different situation, a model always displayed inside out no matter which way the normals faced. The bottom line is that some 3D models just refuse to behave and just sit there and do what you want them to do; the last resort is to just remake them. In either the export function in the editor or the Load Object command, something got messed up.

When you have lots of vertices using the wrong indices, you get a messed up looking pile of triangles, but in your case it is a little worse because your triangles do not even reference the correct texture nor the UV coordinate assigned.

Edit: One other test you could perform, is to sync and wait for a key press (which will need to wait for Scancode()=0) before each command in that part of the object loading section; then commenting out line by line to find the exact piece of code which is causing the problem. That will narrow things down to 1 or 2 possible causes from a programming standpoint.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:54:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:54:59