Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Unable to use OGG sound format.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 02:58 Edited at: 6th Oct 2015 04:54
Does AppGameKit library support .ogg sound files? Do I need to find an alternate/additional lib (Tier 2) to play *.ogg ?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 08:38
It's not supported because it isn't a cross-platform format, it isn't available on iOS.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Nightbreed
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought in the documentation it said agk supports the platform specific formats for music and wave for sound effects. So on platforms that can support ogg you could use it for music, but not sound effects? Not really sure as haven't done it yet. Only made personal apps using mp3. Don't have any ogg files to test.
FM77
Years of Service
User Offline
It blatantly says it is that ogg format is supported on all product purchase pages I've ran across.
http://www.shinyloot.com/app-game-kit-2
http://store.steampowered.com/app/325180/ when you push the "READ MORE" button to list features.
I'm not interested in ios either, it should work out of box on windows without having to get my users to install a new codecs to their system or go on a vast researching project to get it to function if it is advertised as good to go, other engines include dependencies for things they need.

On the documentation it says Meego will load ogg http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/Reference/Music/LoadMusic.htm

I found this guy who I thought was a dev for agk from 2 awkward lines
#ifndef _H_SMACKIT_
#define _H_SMACKIT_
in my cpp template.h who says he can use ogg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vROoXlXXcL8

I've been frustrated with everyone just saying it will work just to sound cool.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2015 15:33
The way I read it is this...

Sounds - WAV only. It explicitly states this in the help files.

Quote: "Filename - The filename of the sound file to load, must be a WAV file."

Music - This is a bit more vague, but it reads to me as: Use MP3, but because of incompatibilities you must use OGG in Meego.

Personally, I'd love to see OGG for sounds and music. But good ol' Microsoft, Google and Apple strike again, with no real common standards for developers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TutCity is being rebuilt
FM77
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot guys for your help,

Yes I am wrong in saying mp3's worked with PlaySound.

I was having a Windows (10) problem and dropped using PlayMusic too early in a project before I cross tested platforms in time to catch;
ended up thinking this was a universal problem for ogg altogether.

I was able to load and play an ogg file on linux with "PlayMusic", so I'm sure android will work fine once I try.

I wanted to test Win 7 for myself and post results; however, I'm out of time setting it up for today so I can not tell if AppGameKit will allow the format by itself in which case I think it does/should.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 08:34
I tested OGG on Windows (PlayMusic) when I read your post and it didn't work for me.

TutCity is being rebuilt
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2015 03:42 Edited at: 8th Oct 2015 19:48
Quote: "I tested OGG on Windows (PlayMusic) when I read your post and it didn't work for me."

I really wish AppGameKit did support OGG.
OGG has always been superior to mp3 because of the licenses, in my opinion.

Quote: " it isn't available on iOS."

Figures
Quote: "I'm not interested in ios "

Hear here!

Quote: " I was able to load and play an ogg file on linux with "PlayMusic", so I'm sure android will work fine once I try."

EDIT
I tested playing an OGG music file in an Android build (APK) and it worked fine!!! (your code snippet works Batvink, as an APK not EXE)
All this time I thought AppGameKit didn't support OGG because the Windows test didn't work, and missed out on putting OGG music in my APKs.
I really feel foolish right now for thinking I had tested this before, and wish I had remembered.
Even an old dog can learn new tricks.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2015 21:49
If I remember correctly ogg files will work on android out of the box. Ogg files will work on Windows only if you install the codec for them. It's been a while since I've tried it so things may have changed though.
FM77
Years of Service
User Offline
Like, I was talking about the "AKG --> library <---" support, but it just has command that relies on OS.

Must add "different lib" like Allegro, SDL, vorbis;
Consider 11025 Hz (352 kbps), 8000 Hz (256 kbps) 16-wav.
or force user
to install something like

https://www.xiph.org/dshow/ <--- Windows 10 tested = OK.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2015 20:52
Quote: "Ogg files will work on Windows only if you install the codec for them"

I have the K-Lite codec pack installed, but Ogg doesn't work for me.
TutCity is being rebuilt
FM77
Years of Service
User Offline
BatVink, did you see the one I linked above in xiph.org BSD license Windows 32/64-bit Installer: opencodecs_0.85.17777.exe 2,53MB?
What version of Windows are you using?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 09:02
I wonder why that one works and K-Lite doesn't?
AGK needs a slicker solution though, it's not good to force the user to install extra codec packs.

TutCity is being rebuilt
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@FM77 If you are using T2 and if your game in non-profit why don't you use FMOD?
It Works perfectly

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:08:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:08:54