Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Link Limb Moves My Limbs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When I use Link Limbs on a model made in a Modelling package with a Hierarchy they go off in all directions. How do I fix this...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 13:38
I'm not that familiar with the use of limbs, but others might want to see some sort of code snippet before they could actually help you...
Regards Sph!nx
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
The code is just...

For n = 1 to 98
link limb 1,n,n+1
Next n
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 07:31
What's your purpose for that?
If the model has been made with a set hierarchy in the modeler the limbs are already linked according to the hierarchy tree.
If you use link limb the hierarchy settings will be broken and then you must reposition all the limbs with offset limb command.
Rather tough with 98 limbs around
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 14:27 Edited at: 26th Oct 2015 14:29
The purpose was to get the body to rotate like a backbone, and then get the rest of the model to rotate properly. So the Torso was all linked into a Hierarchy in 3DS Max. I picked the torso, and then you choose Group. So I did the torso, then the hands, then the feet, and legs, and head.

Then I loaded the model into DBPro, and rotated the torso parts, but they all rotated individually, there was no locked together movements. Grouping the torso didn't seem to do anything, apart from make a tree. So I then tried to link the limbs, and they flew apart.

So now I have started from scratch with a model with no hierarchy.

So I figure that I should

Link Torso parts
Link feet to legs
Link hand segments link wrist, link arms, and shoulders.

But the Max way was much easier, pity it didn't work.
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 17:24
Your best bet is to rig your models (put bones in them following a hierarchy - plenty of tutorials on the web)
I attach a picture of a rigged character with bones names and the relevant model (a sketchy one just an example)
DBP treats the bones as limbs with an attached mesh thus the reference limb numbers
So try to rotate them in this example model (using their number) and see the effect.
Hope it helps
Cheers
Scorpyo

Attachments

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 17:39
You can even use a single mesh model assigning the appropriate vertices to the bones

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 23:14
I agree with Scorpyo. But what are the offsets of the limbs you are linking? Are the offsets of the limbs identical to the coordinate set in 3DS Max?
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2015 19:54 Edited at: 27th Oct 2015 19:55
Thanks for the help. I didn't add any offsets in DBPro, the offsets are from Max. Each object is a group, and objects can have individual axis. In 3DS max you can automatically add an axis to the centre of every object in a model. I think it is a world axis, so that might be the problem, but I'm not sure. I once read that Blender works with Hierarchies but I haven't tried Blender yet. I will try to add bones, that might be best.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2015 22:37
Quote: "Thanks for the help. I didn't add any offsets in DBPro"

That's no problem; I was intending to ask you what DBPRO thinks 3DS Max's offsets are? what does LIMB OFFSET X/Y/Z actually return? 0.0? or the correct offsets. I am just curious

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 05:36:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 05:36:25