Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Advanced Lighting and Laptops

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 20:32
Hei guys,

I'm making a Zeldaesque game using Evolved's Advanced Lighting. On my standard PC i get 60 fps with all effects enabled without any problems.
However, when trying the game out on a couple of different laptops, the fps drops to about 10-30.

My desktop PC specs: Windows 7, Intel Core i5, Geforce GTX760, 8 gb ram = 60 fps
Laptop 1 specs: Windows 8, Intel Core i3, Geforce GT730m, 12 gb ram = 10-30 fps
Laptop 2 specs: Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5, Geforce GTX860m, 6 gb ram = 10-30 fps
Both laptops were set to high performance and Geforce GPU as standard.

I tried the AL examples as well and there is a significant fps-drop on both laptops.
Have any of you guys encountered this problem with AL and laptops?
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 22:05
I think you could tweak some graphics options in the code, I get from 35 fps using maximum quality up to 80 and more with lower quality (testing on the new game I am making)
In particular these 3:

PostProcessing_SetUp()
Water_Create()
DirLight_Create()

Make sure you are using the bone bump shader for animating objects, or it will kills the framerate very heavily.

My specs (Lenovo z500 laptop): Windows 8.1, i7 2.2 Ghz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia gt635m. No framedrops here.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 23:10
A common issue on laptops is that with some games it will try to use the integrated gpu instead of your discrete card, I know you can force it to use the card, though I dont remember off hand where the settings are, but it is something to look at
Naesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 23:23 Edited at: 26th Oct 2015 23:24
Hi Cescano
I tried disabling all the post effects, the water and I set the directional light to only 1 pass, 64x64 with subsurface and specular off and still only 33 fps at the max.
I tried it with a couple of AL-demos as well just to make sure that it wasn't something with my code that screwed up the fps but still no luck, runs at a steady 30 fps on both laptops.
Very strange as it seems that your laptop have about the same specs as mine?

May I ask what fps you get from the terrain example on your Lenovo?
Naesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 23:31
Hi Ortu! That could very well be the issue. I set the nvidia system program to force rendering with the geforce gpu but perhaps dbpro overrides it to render with the internal gpu?
Naesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2015 07:59
Alright, update. I installed the DirectX June 2010 end user runtimes in Windows 8 and suddenly the framerate went up from around 20-30 fps to a fairly steady 55 fps on both laptops.
Here's a link to the runtimes in case any one else've had this problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 27th Oct 2015 12:53
Quote: "Alright, update. I installed the DirectX June 2010 end user runtimes in Windows 8 and suddenly the framerate went up from around 20-30 fps to a fairly steady 55 fps on both laptops."

Interesting. I wonder what caused the improvement.