Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Advanced Lighting Terrain See Through?

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2015 13:53 Edited at: 17th Nov 2015 13:55
Has anyone else seen this before? Occasionally - seemingly with no pattern - my advanced lighting terrain will become partially transparent and I'll be able to see objects through it.... Not sure what's making it happen. It doesn't happen all the time. Just occasionally.

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 08:28 Edited at: 18th Nov 2015 08:29
Looks like the terrain normals object (global variable "Terrain_ObjectN" within AL) isn't rendering to the world position and normals cameras. The first thing I would check is that it's camera mask is being applied properly using: Object_Mask(Terrain_ObjectN,0,1,Terrain_Shadows*2,0,0).
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 10:12
A good place to start, Rev, thanks! But why would it only sometimes happen? I use the same loading routine every time!
revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 12:36 Edited at: 19th Nov 2015 12:37
I've never used advanced lighting's terrain beyond toying around so haven't encountered this problem myself, but perhaps with a bit more info we can figure something out. When does the problem show itself? At the initial game load? Sometimes after switching scenes (countryside<->dungeon, etc..)? Do you delete and re-setup the advanced lighting system at any time before the problem starts occurring? Does your engine move the terrain away from the world origin? Is it possible the terrain normals object is accidentally being manipulated/deleted by another system?
Cescano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2015 23:49
CumQuaT please look private messages.
Also if someone that handles the forum look here, is hard to notice when you receive a message, please put a red sign or something that is clearly visible so we see when we get a message. Thank you
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2015 21:47
Rev, the normals object being manipulated is a good point..... I might add in a console command to do a comparison on the normal and terrain object positions and see if they're misaligned.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:02:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:02:29