Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [ANDROID] [TIER1] Pixelmate - Retro Pixel Photo Effects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 02:24 Edited at: 25th Nov 2015 02:27

This project has been sitting on the back-burner for 2-3 years now. I developed the original version using native iOS programming, but ported most of it over to AppGameKit (Tier 1) a long time ago in anticipation of an Android version. Unfortunately, AppGameKit still lacks some vital capabilities that I assumed TGC would have added to V2 1-2 years ago, most importantly custom GL blendmodes that many of my original filter effects utilize in iOS. So, this version is still restrictive by comparison to the iOS version. Even so, I grew tired of it collecting dust and apparently none of my needed features to make it complete will be in AppGameKit anytime soon despite years of requests.

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.linkedpixel.pixelmate

Automatically convert your photos into a variety of vintage graphical styles inspired by real video game consoles and retro computers of decades past. Converted photos can be saved to your local photo library for sharing and external manipulation.

Each available filter has a unique color palette, resolution, display mode, dither algorithm and more. Additional filter options can be applied to any system to create an endless number of unique and artistic designs reminiscent of video games from years past.

KEY FEATURES

• 16 unique system filters (console, computer, handheld, prototype)

• Process pictures from your photo library or camera

• Four base palette channels for every system (i.e., normal, inversion, grayscale, retina burn)

• Eight contrast settings to refine the details of your picture

• Optional dithering, overlay FX, hi-fi mode and soft edges that adapt uniquely to each system

• A truly unique and fun interface to fit the mood

(Banner ads can be removed by tapping the Pixelmate text on main screen via IAP.)

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.linkedpixel.pixelmate
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 15:39 Edited at: 25th Nov 2015 15:40
@xCept, hey where did this come from

This is super cool, love the idea and the graphics are awesome. Great retro feel.

Going to download later and also notice you have a few drawing apps in the same account. Were they all done in AppGameKit?
Blows my little Doodle Draw app out of the water with a massive torpedo! Well done.

I agree we need more drawing features in AppGameKit, I know it's all 3D at the minute but would be nice to see some updates for 2D pixel effects etc.

Did you use shaders for a lot of the effects/filters and painting options?

Nearly forgot, who did the retro user interface gfx, they are great!?
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
@spectrepaul, thanks! In fact, I had worked on redoing the Android version of my main drawing app with AppGameKit and got about three-quarters of the way there before I ran into unsolvable issues and performance struggles. Not being able to call direct GL blending operations really destroyed the chances of sticking with AppGameKit for that drawing app at least for advanced operations. I did toy around with different shaders to achieve various draw effects (to erase, etc.) but discovered these shaders were unpredictable on many test devices and excessive for what should have been a simple GL blendfunc call that most other development platforms support. I did re-code one of my Intel grand prize winning apps (Magic Doodle Pad) using pure AppGameKit for RealSense technology this past year using C++ Tier 2 (http://magicdoodlepad.com/ but the app won't work without RealSense camera tech). I've developed and developed my draw app in many technologies for different platforms, the one that won the Intel competition was HTML5/WebGL.

No shaders are used for filter effects, mostly just memblock pixel manipulation. I did all of the graphics and programming myself in-house.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 08:58
Nice, takes me back. I remember being jealous of graphics of this quality when I only had a lowly Dragon 32 and my friend had a C64.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 22:35
Quote: "I did all of the graphics and programming myself in-house."

Great work with the gfx, very good pixel skills!
Just been looking at your website for Magic Doodle Pad and it looks really impressive. Great project.

Eventually I would like to combine Paint Pot and Doodle Draw and make something more of it as I had big plans when I first decided to do it but with AppGameKit at the minute it is quite limiting.
Maybe sticking to the Mac instead of mobile and using C++ with AppGameKit is the way to go, will have to look at this.

Did you notice any slowdown when using memblocks in creating an image from one?
I don't think it affects the computer so much e.g. Mac but I found the mobile device really took a performance hit when using the command to create an image from memblock so had to scrap memblocks for this in the end. This was more when calling the command quite often in the loop to update the screen sprite on a big canvas area.

Love the pixel filter effects too, really takes me back to some good retro styles.

Again well done with this!
The Amiga and Amos were great!
My website LEAP - Download Paint Pot here!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
You are right, memblock performance on non-desktop machines is abysmal and not something that you'd want to use for real-time effects. Even for photo processing as I use them for in this app can take a lot of time, although it seems to have improved somewhat since I worked with it a couple years ago (but that may just be that I've gotten much more powerful tablets since). I had another idea for memblock usage when it was originally announced for real-time terrain deformation, as I had created a similar concept in DBP and HTML5 but the performance just wasn't there even on desktop to achieve what I needed (but they are adequate for one-off destruction effects similar to Tank Wars, I recall seeing such an entry in the last Indie Game competition).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:33:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:33:41